Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best acoustic album ever?

rincewind

I need to hear freewheeling. For Bob Dylan I'm much more familiar with his electric stuff.

His electric stuff was good, but to me - its all about is acoustic; and to me the definition of his acoustic stuff is Freewheelin'. Afterall - it does have Blowin in the Wind and Masters of War. :applause:

Oof, way too many jazz records to list.

In terms of rock music, I know it's not a whole record but I always thought that side 2 of Led Zep III just killed (for you youngsters, that's tracks 6-10!).

Oof, way too many jazz records to list.

In terms of rock music, I know it's not a whole record but I always thought that side 2 of Led Zep III just killed (for you youngsters, that's tracks 6-10!).

As far as the jazz thing goes - lets consider this thread open to the modern conception of an acoustic album; or else this could turn into a greatest jazz album.

If you want to say "Friday Night in San Francisco" that would work. :)

a_nebraska.jpg

Not sure about best ever....but I love this album. Its all the more impressive because it was never 'intended' to become an album. Just Springsteen sitting around his living room doing demo takes of new songs on a 4 track recorder. When he took the tapes into the studio to record with the E Street Band, they quickly told him he needed to leave them as they were.

'My Father's House', 'Used Car', and 'Mansion on the Hill' still give me goosebumps.

Oh man, Nebraska is GREAT. What's that one that goes "You can hear Frankie laughing"? So beautiful.

And I actually used to have that Opeth album - it's the only one of their albums I really dislike.

i think the best acoustic albums are made by bands who usualy stray from softer acoustic style music. that being said, the best album for my money would be "damnation" by opeth. it's not all acoustic, but it's absolutely amazing. especially coming from a band with a heavy death metal background.

Also on my top five all-time: Harry James--The King James Version (non-religous).

The Harry James Big Band

Live, audiophile recording, direct-to-disc (feed went right to mother cutting machine, no tape, no mixing, simple stereo mike, all state of the art equipment (for-real) each side of the album cut in real time, track following track in real time. recorded in an acoustically awesome church and issued on high-density pure virgin vinyl on the Sheffield Labs label. An absolutely awsome sounding disc with outstanding performances and arrangements.

when it came out (mid 70's) we were all into heavy rock/metal/some pop but we just wore through multiple copies of this gem.

Opeth had an acoustic album!? I did not know that. I am not that much of a fan of their type of metal ... more of a ( Black Label Society, Pantera, Slipknot ) man myself. But i will give them props for their musicianship. So the real question is: do they sing in it.. or scream and such?

Archived