Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who has a worse group of recievers than the Eagles?

Inxsive

I know the season hasn't started yet, but now that most of the quality free agent recievers have settled in with their teams, who do you think has a worse group of recievers than the Eagles. They still have the draft and maybe can trade for one(Moulds isn't in Texas yet) but they seems to be in serious trouble at that position. They may not be the worse in the league but you've got to think they are bottom five, who else is worse?

Yeh, 49ers are definitely there, but Bryant is definitely more proven than any of the Eagles guys minus Pinkston. They still do have Arnaz Battle and RaShaun Woods, who may be equivalent to the Eagles #3 and #4 guys.

Difference is, MacNabb is a much better qb than Alex Smith at this point, and he can definitely still make plays.

What is funny....is that while Gaffney and Brown are fairly young.....they bring potential to the forefront. Neither are bumbs.....Pinkston for all of his alligators arm jokes is an accmplished deep threat, and Lewis has proven that when in the right position, 3rd or 4th WR, he can be very effective (i.e. 04 Postseason and Super Bowl)....

So they aren't as bad as people are saying....they are just not as "Highly Recognized" as the Mosses, Buresses, Owens, etc.......

And the fact that Gaffney has 171 catches for 2009 yds and 7 tds in 4 years at Houston while Lloyd has 105 catches for 1510 yds and 13 tds in 3 years with SF and ARE had 162 catches for 2012 yds for 7 tds with Pitts, so as far as I can see, they are all pretty much on par with each other.

The major difference is that ARE is more known and Lloyd made the highlight films, but still all three players had basically the same figures.....

Another thing to think of is the fact the Brown was in his first year and put up some very sound numbers at 43 catches for 571 yards and 4 tds after only starting 11 games and having McMahon his QB for alot of the season. With Pinkston hopefully at 100%, that now adds a WR who over his 184 catches for 2816 yds and 14 tds in 62 career games. While he isn't close as far as comparison with Moss, the overall WR corps are closer than most wish to admit.

All are above average blockers (even Pinkston) who excel at what they are asked to do on game day. In closing, while people say the Eagles WR corp is terrible, they are no worse then the unit that got them to 3 straight NFC Title Games, no worse then the unit that won the NFC Title Game (played without Owens) and they are actually more talented and more physical then those teams as well, plus and tad bit younger also.

Their only weakness from what I can see is a lack of experience on the Eagles side.......not the fact that they aren't All Stars.....if Star Power was important, then wouldn't Seattle (last year) be terrible, and like Detriot (last year) have been great?

Their only weakness from what I can see is a lack of experience on the Eagles side.......not the fact that they aren't All Stars.....if Star Power was important, then wouldn't Seattle (last year) be terrible, and like Detriot (last year) have been great?

That being said, who or how many teams have worse groups?

What is funny....is that while Gaffney and Brown are fairly young.....they bring potential to the forefront. Neither are bumbs.....Pinkston for all of his alligators arm jokes is an accmplished deep threat, and Lewis has proven that when in the right position, 3rd or 4th WR, he can be very effective (i.e. 04 Postseason and Super Bowl)....

How is that funny? I don't get it.

So they aren't as bad as people are saying....they are just not as "Highly Recognized" as the Mosses, Buresses, Owens, etc.......

Bingo. You may be able to slide in under the radar for a while and surprise a few teams. If Reid will run the ball a little more, to at least attempt to keep the D honest, you can throw out some 4 WR sets with WB in the backfield that could actually work out quite nicely for you. Sort of a quantity approach to things. You have to figure that a team's 4th CB can't cover Pinkston, Brown, Gaffney or Lewis. One or two of them will have favorable matchups. BUt Reid has to develop the threat of running the ball in that formation, I would argue, to fool the D.

And the fact that Gaffney has 171 catches for 2009 yds and 7 tds in 4 years at Houston while Lloyd has 105 catches for 1510 yds and 13 tds in 3 years with SF and ARE had 162 catches for 2012 yds for 7 tds with Pitts, so as far as I can see, they are all pretty much on par with each other.

The major difference is that ARE is more known and Lloyd made the highlight films, but still all three players had basically the same figures.....

I think you're stretching here. I would put Gaffney and ARE on the same level, but I think Lloyd will prove to be a step above. I know Carr didn't have a lot of time to throw the ball, well, EVER, but he is a much better QB than the trash that lloyd has had throwing him the ball. Add to that, Houston has a semblance of a ground game as well to keep the D honest. The Niners have Barlow (1st round fantasy pick, my ass).

Another thing to think of is the fact the Brown was in his first year and put up some very sound numbers at 43 catches for 571 yards and 4 tds after only starting 11 games and having McMahon his QB for alot of the season. With Pinkston hopefully at 100%, that now adds a WR who over his 184 catches for 2816 yds and 14 tds in 62 career games. While he isn't close as far as comparison with Moss, the overall WR corps are closer than most wish to admit.

This is a good point. Brown could develop easily into a solid number 2, and is already a very solid #3. With McNabb (hopefully for you) throwing him the ball all year, he should develop nicely this year.

OK, then I read the Miss/Pinkston comment. Close? No, you're right, they're not. They're actually not in the same ZIP code. Pinkston does a nice job of catching an occassional long ball. That does not make our WR corps "close". Sorry. We have a bonafide number 1 stud. You have a group of 2's or 3's. Again, quanitity can be a good thing, Reid just has to figure out how to use it best. But our WRs smoke yours, imo. Remember, Lloyd was a number one in SF; he now joins who would have been considered the best WR in the league last year if it wasn't for Steve Smith. That's a hellacious combo. Add in the versatility of Randle-El, and that has the potential to be a truly dominant unit.

And, we have depth. Lots and lots of depth.

No. 5, I think the Eagles WRs have a chance to be solid, and to exceed some expectations of mediocrity. I personally am thrilled we got ARE; if we had not, I would have really wanted us to go after Gaffney, who I think is an emerging young threat. I was sorry to see him sign with you, because in a couple of years, its possible he could develop into a number 1. And right now he is a decent 2, and a hell of a 3. I don't think your WRs are as bad as people make them out to be, but don't tell me our WRs are closer than people think.

I really don't think they're hat bad. Brown has potential to be really good. Pinkston doesn't really hit on much but Lewis is solid. Not sure about

gaffney except he's UF receiver and they generally suck. Solid - unspectacular. Kinda like us a couple years ago.

I don't know...Hymes has a lot of potential (I suppose Gaffney does as well), Mason is a proven veteran (something the Eagles squad lacks), and Mark Clayton could explode next year. The problem with the Ravens receivers is that they have Kyle Boller throwing to them. :2cents:

I don't know...Hymes has a lot of potential (I suppose Gaffney does as well), Mason is a proven veteran (something the Eagles squad lacks), and Mark Clayton could explode next year. The problem with the Ravens receivers is that they have Kyle Boller throwing to them. :2cents:

True very true.

Eagles just be happy you have Mcnabb!

Well lets find out who has a worse set of receivers, shall we? Since we can only go by past performance and stats I'll post the NFL rankings for receiving last year encompassing the entire NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-RECEIVING/2005/regular?sort_col_1=6

The Eagles ranked 9th. Dallas ranked 17th. Giants ranked 20th. Washington ranked 24th. So to answer your question. All of the NFC East teams have a worse group of receivers. Hey the stat sheet doesn't lie does it?

EDIT: I know, I know. The Redskins signed ARE and Lloyd. The Cowboys signed Owens. But how can we gauge what they're going to do? They haven't played with their respective teams yet. So we can only go by last year at this point :)

No. 5, I think the Eagles WRs have a chance to be solid, and to exceed some expectations of mediocrity. I personally am thrilled we got ARE; if we had not, I would have really wanted us to go after Gaffney, who I think is an emerging young threat. I was sorry to see him sign with you, because in a couple of years, its possible he could develop into a number 1. And right now he is a decent 2, and a hell of a 3. I don't think your WRs are as bad as people make them out to be, but don't tell me our WRs are closer than people think.

Good post, this is correct. The Eagles definitely don't have the worst WRs in the league, they should be very competant. But the Eagles WRs don't come close to the Redskins right now. They're still miles apart. The mere fact that Santana Moss wears a Redskins uniform means that the Redskins unit is far and away superior. Lloyd and Randle El are both also better than their Eagles counterparts.

Eagles fans shouldn't have to defend their WR unit as being amongst the worst in the league though. All of their WRs will prove decent with McNabb throwing the ball to them. And their WRs today are superior to all of their NFC Championship Game teams.

Archived