Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft picks in the 6th and 7th

RWJ

Abieber301 i dont know who you are but that just makes no sense. At least come up with some legit names that we have heard of and not some sorry kids from tulane and the wanna be "da u" and 'cuse which won all of maybe 5 games last year. Lets be serious, do you really know what you're talking about.

Good players can be found there. Here are some players from around my small part of the country that are in the NFL or are capable of being in the NFL.

These Guys should get a chance.

Grand Valley State: Runningback/Possible H-Back Aston Martin(That's really his name) His team won the National Championship over the Northwest Missouri Bearcats who are less than 20 miles from where I live.

Pitt State: Runningback Jermaine Race holds many Div II single season records and helped his team get to the National Championship in 2004.

NWMSU has a couple players play in the NFL QB Chris Greisen who played as a backup for the Arizona Cardnals. Seth Wand starting offensive tackle for the Houston Texans. WR Jamaica Rector plays for the Dallas Cowboys. Those are just players from NWMSU which is in Maryville, MO which is only a little over 10,000 in population. So there are lots of guys capable to draft it's just that they aren't noticed as much. These guys could have transferred to bigger schools but chose to stay with a small school, they should not be punished for wanting to stay at a small school. By the way Jamaica Rector's brother Andre will find his way on some teams practice squad in a couple years.

And a guy that we could use will be available in a couple years. Northwest Missouri State TE Mike Peterson - He has a big game every game. Easily gets 100 yard recieving games and is the key in the running game. He is responsible for most of their close wins and had a great game in the championship game. Had it not been for a high pass with 3 seconds to go, 24 yards into the endzone NWMSU would be champions.

It's not 1961 anymore. Every once in a while' date=' you find a decent player in 1-AA. And occasionally a D-II player emerges, though I can't think of the last one.

But the colleges are too good at recruiting now (and don't discriminate). 99 percent of the players worth anything were tagged at age 18 and went to D-1.[/quote']

Yes I'm going to show some bias here, but just a few points, I-AA is Division 1. Secondly there are a good number of talented players that come out of I-AA, Randy Moss, TO, Steve McNair, Samkon Gado, Jerry Azumah, Lofa Tatupu (started at I-AA), Donald Driver, Dexter Coakley, Rashean Mathias, Marcellus Wiley, Jay Fielder, Earl Holmes, Jerome Mathias, Matt Birk, Wayne Chrebet, Jimmy Smith, Mike Flynn, Marcel Shipp, Kurt Warner, Jeremiah Trotter, Brian Westbrook, Darren Sharper...and the list goes on. There is plenty of talent on the I-AA level, and the top 10-15 I-AA teams could easily compete with the lower level non BCS conferences of I-A.

Edit: Just as an additional point, last year the Giants had 14 former I-AA players on their roster alone, being one of 7 NFL teams that had double digit former I-AA players on their teams.

Right now as we speak.....

Looking at the roster real quick, I see 48 locks IMO

Now if we sign Demetric Evans as reported and either Wright or Fletcher at CB that only leaves 3 spots. The 2nd rounder is gonna make it for sure, thats only 2 spots left and mulitple picks. Maybe they can find 1 or 2 that will make the roster but there is no room for all of them. Camp Fodders and practice squad material.....

Yes I'm going to show some bias here, but just a few points, I-AA is Division 1. Secondly there are a good number of talented players that come out of I-AA, Randy Moss, TO, Steve McNair, Samkon Gado, Jerry Azumah, Lofa Tatupu (started at I-AA), Donald Driver, Dexter Coakley, Rashean Mathias, Marcellus Wiley, Jay Fielder, Earl Holmes, Jerome Mathias, Matt Birk, Wayne Chrebet, Jimmy Smith, Mike Flynn, Marcel Shipp, Kurt Warner, Jeremiah Trotter, Brian Westbrook, Darren Sharper...and the list goes on. There is plenty of talent on the I-AA level, and the top 10-15 I-AA teams could easily compete with the lower level non BCS conferences of I-A.

Edit: Just as an additional point, last year the Giants had 14 former I-AA players on their roster alone, being one of 7 NFL teams that had double digit former I-AA players on their teams.

Problem is that most good I-AA players are also usually gone by the first few rounds. I think we can still get players who were starters on div IA teams but not highly regarded in the lower rounds especially lineman that can be developed over time.

Right now as we speak.....

Looking at the roster real quick, I see 48 locks IMO

Now if we sign Demetric Evans as reported and either Wright or Fletcher at CB that only leaves 3 spots. The 2nd rounder is gonna make it for sure, thats only 2 spots left and mulitple picks. Maybe they can find 1 or 2 that will make the roster but there is no room for all of them. Camp Fodders and practice squad material.....

That's the bottom line. We all have favorite players that we hope the Skins will pick + there are backups from last year that we want to make the team. But, the roster is limited. Practice squad players can be stolen by other teams. A few of the low round picks could be allocated to NFL Europe. But, Skins may be better off trading some of those lower picks to move up and get a player they really want. Of course, there are a lot of draft busts as well - Manual White and Newberry from last year were disappointing.

depth and practice squad guys can be found in those rounds, but honestly, how different will a 7th round pick be from a UDFA? I think having 3 6th round picks will help, but we may as well throw away our 7th round pick now. This would all change if Nemo does well for us.

Problem is that most good I-AA players are also usually gone by the first few rounds. I think we can still get players who were starters on div IA teams but not highly regarded in the lower rounds especially lineman that can be developed over time.

Oh definitely agree...was more making a point that the original poster basically said there was little talent at the IAA level. That's just not the case. Granted IA overall obviously has more talent, but there is plenty of talent in IAA too.

assigning roster spots at this point is premature. Mike Pucillo and Tyson Walter are not locks to make this team. I can see a #5 pick coming in and impressing the coaches in camp and the preseason and causing the team to drop one of these guys.

also, you could see late draft picks be the backups at linebacker. there is no guarantee the Redskins sign Adams or choose to bring Holdman back. no guarantee the linebacker they want will be there at #53. Khary Campbell and Robert McCune seem to be special teamers with limited upside in the regular defense. there is room at linebacker for a #6 pick to make the team.

tight end is another spot where you could see a late pick make the team. Besides Fauria this team has nothing at TE. Robert Johnson is a physical specimen but doesn't seem to be able to get out on the field.

staying on defense, we currently have 3 players at safety and will need 5. so that's two spots there that could go to promising rookies :)

Archived