Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Teen Sues Restaurant After Drunken Fall

flyingtiger1013

http://wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=742083

FREDERICK, Md. (AP) - A teenager who sneaked into a charity bartender contest to drink is suing the restaurant for causing facial injuries she suffered in a drunken fall in the parking lot.

Tyler C. Bauer, 18, of New Market, is seeking $200,000 in damages from TGI Friday's, according to the lawsuit filed March 22 in Frederick County Circuit Court.

Bauer claims the restaurant was negligent in allowing her to consume beer and liquor purchased for her by an 18-year-old companion and an older man on Oct. 11.

The lawsuit says Bauer, then 17, shattered her teeth, lips and gums when she passed out and fell on her face in the parking lot with a blood alcohol level of 0.238 percent - nearly three times the legal limit of 0.08 for operating a motor vehicle. Police reported that Bauer had fallen off the tailgate of a pickup truck while leaving the bar.

The Frederick County Liquor Board fined the restaurant $1,600 in January for allowing Bauer and her underage friend to drink.

She may have snuck in (wrong yes) but its the restaurants job to make sure people are legal drinking age, which they did not.

I disagree.

Lets say they carded at the door. Nobody under 21 is allowed inside, and she climbed in through a bathroom window for instance, the bartenders inside assumed she was of legal drinking age. She was trespassing.

She may have snuck in (wrong yes) but its the restaurants job to make sure people are legal drinking age, which they did not.

ANd you know this FACT how???

What if they had fake ID's??? She and her companion need to be held accountable for their decisions and actions.

Taylor the article says that She snuck in so she wasnt carded at the door.

If they had fake ID's, whoever carded them shouldnt be checking those ID's then. Dont they train people now a days to spot fake ID's? I think it was right they fined the restaurant, but in NO WAY am i saying what the girl did was right.

Not to mention an older man bought her the drinks. The bar was already fined for the incident, she should not only receive nothing, but she should be forced to stand in the middle of a public place with a sign "I decided to sue someone due to my own stupidity, and lost."

ANd you know this FACT how???

What if they had fake ID's??? She and her companion need to be held accountable for their decisions and actions.

Personal Accountability has gone by the wayside. Didn't you get the memo? If I fall on the sidewalk downtown, It is my responsibility to sue to city for leaving a stone laying in my path.

Man, this is the problem with lawsuits, they abuse the court system and she WILL get money. They'll most likely settle out of court because they can afford to. I honestly do not know how people can live with themselves when they do stuff like this. How can they seriously look in the mirror everyday?

HAhaha.

I klnew a guy who sued a bar in NY. HE got in with a fake ID, got tossed from the bar and in the process someone punched him. They guy was a jackass and deserved what he got. His mother was a lawyer and sued the bar for allowing her son to drink in the bar. I don't think anything came of it. This case is weak. I would conter-sue the girl. I really don't know what I'm talking about but I feel like counter-suing is th best way to go.

We need the British way of doing things (I think it's British). If you file a frivolous lawsuit and lose, not only are you responsible for your legal fees, but you are also responsible for those of the defendants. I think it's a pretty good system.

And apparently it's cutting down on frivolous suits over there.

She illegally got herself into an alcohol-based event (premeditated choice on her part)

She illegally drank the alcohol at the event (a choice on her part)

She left on her own, under her own power (a choice on her part)

She fell as a result of her own choices. So I'll tell you what should happen to this snottly little girl....

She should have her case thrown out of court just for it's lack of common sense. Then she should spend about 30 days in jail for wasting the court's time.

Archived