Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

City Officer Fights for His Life

rictus58

I often see many threads started on this board when an officer is charged of wrong doing. The truth of the matter is that a vast majority are hard working honest cops, trying to make our world better at the expense of their own saftey.

The following is from the Baltimore Sun....

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/crime/bal-md.police31mar31,0,4557819.story?coll=bal-home-headlines

City police officer fights for his life

He is shot three times in Westport confrontation

By Gus G. Sentementes and Brent Jones

sun reporters

March 31, 2006

A plainclothes city police officer was fighting for his life last night after he was shot in the neck, chest and stomach during a confrontation in a public housing community in South Baltimore, where authorities said he was working undercover.

Officer Dante N. Hemingway, 28, underwent hours of emergency surgery at Maryland Shock Trauma Center and has another operation scheduled for tomorrow. He was reported in critical condition last night.

A suspect in Hemingway's shooting was shot in the leg and was being treated at the same hospital, police officials said.

Colleagues, friends and relatives of Hemingway - a 1996 graduate of Carver Vocational High School who has won several awards, including one for saving the life of a fellow officer who had been shot four years ago - converged on the hospital yesterday to await word on his condition.

"He's not out of the woods yet," Police Commissioner Leonard D. Hamm told reporters hours after the shooting, which occurred about 12:30 p.m. on Wilgrey Court in the Westport neighborhood.

Because Hemingway was working undercover, he was dressed in civilian clothes and was not wearing a bullet-resistant vest to avoid being detected.

According to Hamm, the wounded officer told colleagues who rushed to his side, "I hurt. I'm in pain."

Mayor Martin O'Malley told reporters: "He's still fighting for his life. We need our city to pray for the police officer and his family."

Police identified the other wounded man as 20-year-old Jobrey Lodge, who was in fair condition last night at Shock Trauma. Police and prosecutors said that charges had not been filed as of last night.

Margaret T. Burns, a spokeswoman for the state's attorney's office, said Lodge was a potential witness in the killing of another police officer, Detective Thomas G. Newman, who was ambushed outside a Southeast Baltimore bar in 2002.

See the link for the full article.

It's horrible to see stories like this where a man doing his job and trying to keep us all safe is harmed like this. I hope he pulls through and I hope he's able to recover to the point where he is able to be, physically, the same man he was before this happened. Good thoughts go out to him and all officers that put their life on the line.

Archived