Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best O-Lines of All Time

CPstretch

How do the Dirtbags stack up with the greatest olines?

the hogs sure were good with the likes of jacoby, grimm, lachey, bostic, schlereth.

the cowboys of the early 90s were supposed to be pretty good with: erik williams, nate newton, mark stepnoski, mark tuinei and kevin gogan.

the chiefs now with shields, roaf and waters are pretty good.

where do you see the dirtbags fitting in. rabach is probably the least known in the group, but samuels-dockery-thomas and jansen are a pretty damn good unit

the hogs sure were good with the likes of jacoby, grimm, lachey, bostic, schlereth.

the cowboys of the early 90s were supposed to be pretty good with: erik williams, nate newton, mark stepnoski, mark tuinei and kevin gogan.

where do you see the dirtbags fitting in. rabach is probably the least known in the group, but samuels-dockery-thomas and jansen are a pretty damn good unit

You'd have to see the 1991 line to believe how good they were and you're a little young. I believe they were top 5 in rushing and allowed 6 sacks in the first 15 games that year. Rypien was statuesque back there too. Then we played the Eagles in a meaningless finale and they blitzed the hell out of our backups. I think we allowed like 3 or 4 sacks that game.

As far as how they compared to the Cowboys lines: I'd say the Hogs were more athletic but the Dallas lines were more powerful. If you want balance and to get the lead - I'd take the Hogs. If you're running out the clock, I'd take Dallas.

The 1991 O-line in my opinion is the best ever

Gibbs had no problem doing whatever he wanted with our offense that year. Teams barely sniffed Mark Rypien so there was plenty of time for the passing game to open up

Our running game produced over 1,600 yards and anytime there was a 3rd and short or 4th and short we got the first down

There is a reason Rypien is a Superbowl MVP. Because he was behind the most dominant o-line ever

That line in 1991 was amazing, there is no reason that Jacoby, Bostic and Grimm arent in the Hall of Fame

total of 11 sacks allowed in the regular season that year - and don't forget Buddy Ryan was still in the division at that time, which makes it even more impressive.

Also, the Packers during their Superbowl years in the mid '90's had a greta O-line too. (Some of that may have Farve though)

Come on..the Dirtbags or nowhere near the Hogs or some of those other great O lines in past years. They are getting better...Buges took good guys, is tapping thier potential, teaching proper technique..playing to thier strengths..try to cover weaknesses, etc.

Man I remember Rypien having ALLLLLLLL day to throw the ball lol I mean allll day...take a nap, make a sandwich, read the paper...oh then hit a reciever.

I'm not trying to put the current O-line down, but they don't come close to the O-line in '91. No one got to Rypien that year.

I've said it before. That had to be the best performance for one season an O-line has ever done. I remember some Dolphins teams with Marino that were good in terms of not giving up many sacks but the Skins line broke the record giving up only 9 sacks and as a team they also led the league in rushing. Those great Dolphin lines didn't have the rushing totals like the Skins 91 team.

Sorry, but you can't throw the Redskins o-line from the present into the discussion of greatest all-time . . . only one current line (KC) can even be in the argument . . .

For my money, the best I ever saw play were the mid-90s Cowboys (the standard for the modern huge offensive line - made Emmitt Smith a great player singlehandedly) and the '90 Giants . . . I have vague memories of the Hogs, and they are obviously near the top of the list as well . . . but don't go putting Dock and Rabachon a line of "best ever."

The 91 o-line, no question. All you need to know, 19 games, 11 sacks allowed on a completely immobile Mark Rypien. That's just ridiculous. I think the Chiefs o-line of the last several years (especially 2000-2003 when the same 5 started every game) has to get honorable mention on that list, too.

The Dirtsbags have a lot of potential, but you can't start comparing them to the Hogs. The Hogs WERE the best O-Line of all time. That's what Bugel is trying to mimic. After a full year together, they should be very improved. I'm anxious to see how they do.

Did Jacoby even start in 91? At that point, he had been replaced by Lachey at LT and I thought Ed Simmons was the RT .... I thought big Joe was relegated to backup duty by that point.

Lachey started at LT but Jacoby started at RT. Simmons only played 6 games or something like that. McKenzie, Bostic and Schlereth were the other starters with Grimm coming off the bench.

Brunell and Rypien are two totally different animals, as far as holding a pocket together is concerned.

But anyway, I'm very excited to see the line this year, especially with Al Saunder's new formations and Fauria. Also, big Randy comin back will probably start us off right where we left off before his injury. Remember how tight our line was getting?

In 1978, the New England Patriots ran for 3,165 yards (4.7 yds/carry) and 30 TDs. I'm not sure how many sacks they gave up.

The weird thing about that team is that they ran for 3,165 yards but their leading rusher, Sam Cunningham (Randall's brother), only had 768 yards.

They hadn't started keeping sacks as a stat yet so there are no official numbers.

The weird thing about that team is that they ran for 3,165 yards but their leading rusher, Sam Cunningham (Randall's brother), only had 768 yards.

And I think that really shows the strength of the OL. They had two other RBs just under 700 yards and Grogan ran for over 500. Then throw in another guy with almost 400 yards.

They hadn't started keeping sacks as a stat yet so there are no official numbers.

I always forget that. So, were sacks counted in rushing yards like in college?

Archived