Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An instant replay penalty that MUST be reviewed

IceDragon38

As I'm sure that y'all are already aware of, down by contact will now be a reviewable play (that really could've helped us in the playoffs). Tampa Bay also proposed a rule suggesting that all penalties be reviewable. While that might be a little harsh, there is one penalty that can absolutely swing the momentum of a game, and help or hinder a team (especially if the penalty was wrong) and that penatly of course is defensive pass interference. How many games have we been in where they called DPI on us and the defender was nowhere NEAR the receiver. The most glaring to me was the bogus call on Walt Harris last year against Dallas where he didn't touch them at all. I believe that a play in which defensive pass interference is called should be reviewable. If there was no pass interference then it would just be ruled an incomplete pass, or complete pass at the spot of the foul depending on the result of the play. Offensive pass interference should also be reviewable so that certain receivers **cough** Keyshawn, Plaxico Burress **cough** can't get away with the push-offs they usually do. Thoughts?

The problem is that when a ref rules a player down-by-contact he blows the whistle. The play is then dead. I really don't see how they can review it after that because if the whistle blows players stop running.

Yea, thats the thing I wondered about when I first heard about it too. What they should do is this: everytime a player fumbles, if it looks questionable or not just let the play go. If it's painfully obvious then rule down by contact. This might increase the number of reviews, but fumbles really don't occur THAT often so it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

it is going to make things more complex because if the whistle blows players stop running to the ball. coaches will start telling players to ignore the whistle and go after the ball anyway. it willbe chaos and people will get hurt.

it is a bad rule as it stands now, but the cure may be worse

PI should be 15 yards and no more.

That's a great idea, and obviously thats whats done in all other football leagues except the NFL. The problem with it only being 15 yards is that it would give DBs an unfair disadvantage. Suppose that a DB (hmmmm let's call him Roy Williams) is getting beat deep by a WR (and lets call him oh I don't know Santana Moss) The pass is on the way and instead of getting beat deep for a 50 yard TD pass, Williams just tackles Moss. Any DB would take giving up 15 yards and a penalty over giving up 50 yards and 6 points.

That's a great idea, and obviously thats whats done in all other football leagues except the NFL. The problem with it only being 15 yards is that it would give DBs an unfair disadvantage. Suppose that a DB (hmmmm let's call him Roy Williams) is getting beat deep by a WR (and lets call him oh I don't know Santana Moss) The pass is on the way and instead of getting beat deep for a 50 yard TD pass, Williams just tackles Moss. Any DB would take giving up 15 yards and a penalty over giving up 50 yards and 6 points.

but you see, this DB you call Roy Williams wouldn't even be close enough to tackle this Moss fellow. ;)

Yea, thats the thing I wondered about when I first heard about it too. What they should do is this: everytime a player fumbles, if it looks questionable or not just let the play go. If it's painfully obvious then rule down by contact. This might increase the number of reviews, but fumbles really don't occur THAT often so it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

The issue there is that they don't overrule everything unless its absolutely clear and sometimes they don't even do it then. If you tell a ref to let it go even if he thought he was down by contact then you are opening up an different can of worms.

The push out of bounds rule is the one that should be reviewable. That is the one that nearly cost us the Tampa game. I realize that it is a judgement call, but I would rather see that judgement based on several angles at low speed, than 1 angle at full speed.

What they should do is this: everytime a player fumbles, if it looks questionable or not just let the play go. If it's painfully obvious then rule down by contact. This might increase the number of reviews, but fumbles really don't occur THAT often so it shouldn't be that much of a problem.
That might increase the risk of injuries.

Clint

Since WHEN do NFL players when they think its a fumble, even if the whistle blows stop going after it. Never. What football games have you watched? Players are always coaches to just automaticaly assume its a fumble. The change was a good one, and wont cause the injuries like people pretend it will. Its absolutely NO different then letting all close calls that arent obvious, be ruled fumbles. Because guess what? Then everyone is still trying to get the ball!

As for reviewing pass interference, I dont htink that will work. Sometimes its easier to see pass interference in real time, than it is in a replay. That and allowing one penalty call to be reviewed opens it up for all others. Could get hairy.

Wait till I tell my friend, the Patriots fan, about this.

He's been screaming about the defensive pass interference call in which the receiver obviously pushed off, and the champ bailey return that should have been a touchback. :doh: I hope this will shut him up.

I'm suprised they haven't allowed the reviewing of push-out calls. The one in Tampa this season was HUGE, and the replay showed that Springs never even touched the guy, but they couldnt review it.

I agree! That one was R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S!

:cuss:

force out should also be reviewable....

No, force out shouldn't even be a rule. If a receiver jumps in the air, catches the ball, gets pushed and lands out of bounds, the pass should be incomplete. It would be a simpler rule to enforce and would add an element of defensive strategy.

Everyone seems to see all of this instant replay nonsense as progress. Well I don't.

The problem is that when a ref rules a player down-by-contact he blows the whistle. The play is then dead. I really don't see how they can review it after that because if the whistle blows players stop running.

Thank you! How can you settle a situation like that? Damn it, why am I the only person who sees how ludicrous all of this is?!

Look, the college guys have it down pat. The booth has the final word. They review each and every play. They have the equipment, they have the experience, and the final word. No more hood games on the field.

The NFL for some reason wants the field official to have the final word with help from above. Why? Let the official who has time to review the play from the moment it is over to make the call.

As far as inadvertant whistles, and down by contact, those cannot be avoided. If an official blows a whistle the play is dead. NO WAY AROUND IT. Now, Down by contact can only be overturned if no whistle has been blown.

All other reviewable plays should be the sole responsibility of the replay official in the booth. Penalties should also be reviewed by the booth, and if it is determined that it does not meet the definition of the penalty, then over rule it.

Archived