Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT - Gibbs talks about the old days

JimmiJo

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20060330-125244-7801r.htm

Gibbs talks about the old days

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

March 30, 2006

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Washington Redskins coach Joe Gibbs loves to say the NFL changes 30 percent every year, but one thing that doesn't change is his love for the old days -- when he was a lowly college assistant in the 1960s.

Yesterday, Gibbs regaled the audience at the NFL meetings with stories about working for fellow Hall of Famer/broadcaster/video game king John Madden at San Diego State and at Southern Cal for the late John McKay, father of Atlanta general manager Rich McKay, a candidate for NFL commissioner.

"I started out with [defensive coordinator] Madden," Gibbs recalled. "I did everything. Wednesday nights I drove him to his classes at Fullerton [Junior] College. He sat in the back seat and smoked cigarettes and ate peanuts. We had a four-man staff. I ran off the game plans and went to get burgers at Jack in the Box. I only got in trouble with Madden if I left something off his burger. [but] he fired me after the spring game, and I said, 'How can you fire me? I don't even make any money.' That's how I went from defense to offense. I went into [coach] Don [Coryell] and said, 'Hey, John fired me yesterday.' And he said, 'Why don't you come over here?' "

Gibbs, a teetotaler, also laughed about being made to baby-sit then 10-year-old Rich McKay when the other USC coaches would go out drinking.

Click on link for full article...

Archived