Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Another bad cop story...

Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

Just heard something from my aunt. Apparently, she didn't have something with her insurance right (or somesuch) and she got pulled over at night (Howard County, MD I believe.) The officer must have been running tags (was not ticketed for speeding or other moving violation) on passing cars (I wonder what prompted him to run her tags--wait, I'll get to it.) Well, she and her BABY are made to exit the car (and this is appropriate procedure) and they arrange for her car to be towed. This is on the side of the highway.

She is not combative or confrontational (and I know the woman, she can be annoying but is not a combative woman) and asks if she can make a call to be picked up or driven to a lit and populated location. The cop denies both requests. Refuses to offer any aid.

A woman and a BABY at night on the side of a highway. (she didn't have her cell phone with her)

When she finally got to a civilized area, she was able to get picked up. She also made sure to call the precinct. The man who answered hung up on her.

She called the Chief of Police who was very apologetic and went down to the precinct and offered an official letter of apology. He also told her that the policy was driving the person to a mall (or similar location) or allowing them a call.

And yes, my aunt is black and the cop was white. So was the Chief, but that only tells me he was a good man and has some bad apples in his department. What a shock for that to happen for a cop just sitting around running plates on--black people?

Never had a problem with police in Prince William, and have lived here for over 20 years. Would be interested in your experiences that lead you to think they are any more worthless than others.

well.... went to WMZQfest at nissan pavilion 2 summers ago. Went with about 5 other people- one of them happened to be black. Let's call him Joe.

Alan Jackson (the main act) is about to come on.... where's Joe?

Oh, he's over in the parking lot getting arrested by all-white cops for being DRUNK IN PUBLIC when 99.9% of the people at this concert are drunk in public AND white.

Scratching up his face, being very rough...and he wasn't even doing anything! He walked me to the bathroom and when I came out he was on the ground!

Also, my ex boyfriend (who happens to be black...and lives in Dumfries)... I was following him home one night in my car...and a cop just started to OBVIOUSLY follow him like his car was stolen or something... and then once he checked the tags he turned the other way.

There, two examples for you. PW cops are RACIST

well.... went to WMZQfest at nissan pavilion 2 summers ago. Went with about 5 other people- one of them happened to be black. Let's call him Joe.

Alan Jackson (the main act) is about to come on.... where's Joe?

Oh, he's over in the parking lot getting arrested by all-white cops for being DRUNK IN PUBLIC when 99.9% of the people at this concert are drunk in public AND white.

Scratching up his face, being very rough...and he wasn't even doing anything! He walked me to the bathroom and when I came out he was on the ground!

The jails are full of people that didn't do anything. If the cops arrested him because he was black, that is BS. I find it hard to believe that they slammed a guy to the ground for no other reason than being black at MZQfest.

Also, my ex boyfriend (who happens to be black...and lives in Dumfries)... I was following him home one night in my car...and a cop just started to OBVIOUSLY follow him like his car was stolen or something... and then once he checked the tags he turned the other way.

Did he get pulled over? Was he hassled? Or just "followed"?

There, two examples for you. PW cops are RACIST

I hope that you are basing a statement that an entire police department is racist on more than these two situations. Because if I could base sweeping generalizations on two potential situations than I could generate all kinds of stereotypes.

Don't want to hijack this thread. If the first post is true, that is BS also. The cop should be severely disciplined for putting at risk the very community he is sworn to protect and serve. Often times, there is more to the story.

Often times--not here.

I know my aunt very well. She does not invent things to get attention or make people look bad. She has plenty of flaws, but being a liar or confrontational (with a baby in the car) is not one of them. And it's pretty easy to confirm. Would she NOT accept an offer of a ride or call with her BABY on a highway at night? I'm thinking no. I also find it odd she had no ticket for speeding or other violation other than the insurance--find that very odd that at night on the highway someone just happened to run her info...The same person that then refuses to protect her safety and that of her baby (and she's never claimed the police weren't in the right to tow the car until everything was current.)

The first post IS true, is my point.

Like I said, a cop doing what you reported is BS for many reasons. One they are supposed to protect and serve the community(don't see how either is accomplished here) and two it makes an already difficult job that much harder on the other police.

One thing that doesn't add up is why she was pulled over in the first place. Insurance status is not something that can be checked by running a tag

Often times--not here.

I know my aunt very well. She does not invent things to get attention or make people look bad. She has plenty of flaws, but being a liar or confrontational (with a baby in the car) is not one of them. And it's pretty easy to confirm. Would she NOT accept an offer of a ride or call with her BABY on a highway at night? I'm thinking no. I also find it odd she had no ticket for speeding or other violation other than the insurance--find that very odd that at night on the highway someone just happened to run her info...The same person that then refuses to protect her safety and that of her baby (and she's never claimed the police weren't in the right to tow the car until everything was current.)

The first post IS true, is my point.

that's terrible Ghost, he could of written her a ticket and let her drive home.

Why is it that when this stuff comes up "I find it hard to believe" is considered a valid argument?

Let's all put our honest hats on for just a second. If a guy had just up and left a woman and baby on the side of the highway, what would we be saying about him? My bet is a lot of horrible stuff and people demanding that he be punished. But if a cop does it....some how it's not as bad or we look for reasons why he was justified to do something so stupid. A cop should be held to a HIGHER STANDARD not a lower one.

They've gone from serving the public to America's prison guards. Any incident involving them at all immediately is met with questions of the victim like we are all criminals and some jackass with a badge is above doing wrong. People complain about the teachers union - how about the police union. This cop should be investigated and if he did it, fired immediately. Anyone with judgement that bad has no business being a cop. Even if the woman was difficult an officer of the law can not in good conscience leave a woman and a child on the side of a highway!

just because someone's a cop, it doesn't mean they aren't racist or *******s. the police have an extremely difficult job that i respect them for but the behavior of a few has ruined my trust of the whole.

It may even be that this cop wasn't racist, just a total prick.

Either way, if my aunt ended up dead (and this happened in Houston, I think, when two black cops left a white suspect in a 'bad' part of town and his burned remains were found a couple weeks later) I'd be looking to get back at this ******* and anyone who defended him.

Of course, being a cop he could (and would) just lie and say she refused to accept a ride or use a cell phone.

Thanks, Destino. I can say in all honesty, that I do not do that with cops. I hear and KNOW way too much about the bad ones to sit there in most cases and say "I don't know, it's bad, therefore I have a hard time believing it." It's like those cops and feds in New Orleans. No excuse for what they did and for the attempted cover up and abuse of the person with the camera.

I should add in that I'm uncertain if she was speeding. I misheard my mom, so I don't know if she got a ticket for the other stuff but my aunt called my mom RIGHT after she got off the phone with the police. She's thinking about making a big deal out of it. Personally, for the safety and dignity of any citizens this officer may come into contact with later? Yeah...she should.

Im really sorry to hear about that man. I hope you do something about the cop. You should seriously try to get him fired or released from the force. Screw the apology, get the ****_R fired, make sure he can never become a cop again. Now that would help to serve the community.

You should check to see if the cop in question has had any prior complaints on him. I would never stand for that man. I know how it feels to be singled out for your color. I am a brown man living in white McLean. I get plenty of "oh no, hes a terrorist" looks. I cant even imagine what you have to deal with tho. But yeah, if i were you, i would really do whatever i could to get this jerks ass fired.

again, sorry to hear about what happened,

rollin

This is the problem with law enforcement IMHO. There is a certain. . . call them "breed" of people who become cops for all the wrong reasons. It isn't because they want to uphold the law, or to service their communities, but they get off on the power trip they get from putting on a badge. I know there are cops like this, one of my old frineds is a prime example of this kind of meathead . . . hence he is an ex-friend.

That isn't to say all cops are bad, the % is a very small number, but they make a bad name for a lot of cops and it pisses me off. It would also be very naieve for any of us to assume that race doesn;t play a part in some of these cops, it obviously does, and there are a few stories above where it is plain as the eye can see. I know in my old town it plays a part as well, if you look up the % of arrests compared with the % of minorities in the town it is a joke. Something like 65% of the arrests are on minorities, and the town has only 4% minorities living in it (although the surrounding towns are about 40% minority).

I wish it was not like this, and it does piss me off to no end, but unfortunately there are just some meatheads you have to deal with in life, and know that karma will come their way when they least expect it. As long as you don't live your life like these asses, you are doing fine. If you are one of these asses, get a freakin life and act with the morals that you swore to uphold.

Why is it that when this stuff comes up "I find it hard to believe" is considered a valid argument?

If you are referring to me than perhaps you should re-read my post. The "hard to believe" bit you reference was not even concerning Ghosts post...it was the MZQfest.

And sure, lets fire the guy after hearing a second hand(at least)account of one side of the story.

If you aren't referring to me...disregard.

And sure, lets fire the guy after hearing a second hand(at least)account of one side of the story.

I edited my post to state that he should be investigate first. Just firing him with out seeing what actually happened and giving him a chance to share his side of it would be wrong.

I'd love to see an investigation. The cop can't have any credibility and it's very simple. A woman in her late thirties with her baby (after years of trying to get married and have a family) is going to refuse any assistance, endanger her baby and owe the government several hundred bucks in impound and towing fees (she's not poor but not wealthy either) all to frame this officer who, even WITH a combative woman, could have had another officer assist her or come to calm her down or even arrest her and take the baby so it could be safe.

Yeah, can't wait. :) Oh, the Chief already apologizing is going to look bad.

(and i'm not insinuating that you think the investigation will reveal anything differently, Des. Just thinking of it in my head.)

First, every profession has a small percentage of "bad people" and cops are no exception.

I have heard of enough stories about people claiming they were wrongfully pulled over that it is very difficult to determine if the cop had or did not have a valid reason to pull your aunt over and tow her car.

That said, leaving her on the side of the road is just plain wrong. The officer should be punished for his actions.

That said, leaving her on the side of the road is just plain wrong. The officer should be punished for his actions.

Oh, she doesn't deny the officer was in his right to tow the car.

it isn't a wrongful stop argument at all. It's the highway, baby, night, no call, no ride thing.

As for bad people in the profession, other than maybe people who work for the credit bureaus, I don't think there's any one profession like the police that is as dangerous when you encounter the bad apple. If some computer tech guy is an a-hole, I mean, Ok. But someone who I can be shot, strangled, ruined or framed by is a lot bigger problem. And that doesn't even get into how limited you are when it comes to retaliation or defense as compared to other occupations.

yup, cops up there are worthless...I've also noticed it in Prince William County, VA....but it's all over

Yeah, I've been pulled over a few times for no reason. I've also particularly been hassled when with black friends, but on my own in PWC I've been followed and eventually pulled over for no reason at all.

The cop gave me a total BS reason, "You looked like you were driving a little shaky back there." Total BS, particularly since I saw him when he started following me and was being really careful from that point on. Of course, he waits a few miles and then gives up and decides he'll just try his luck on pulling me over.

Jackasses. But just walking around with black friends always gets us unwanted attention.

Archived