Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

As a Jets fan what should I expect from Ramsey?

UpNorth

You can expect toughness and incosistency as the two biggest attributes. Aside from that, huge arm but no thouch/accuracy, very immobile and not very good at sensing the coming pressure. He's a gamer, though, he'll get back up and make some plays in the face of adversity but he'll also make some boneheaded mistakes.

Basically, expect lots of potential but with a lot of incosistency and a lot of pain (as in Jets decimated o-line + Ramsey = lots of really ugly hits).

I hate the smartass things said about Ramsey.

I think you'll get a guy who's going to give you 100%, he's tough, smart, and has a good arm.

why he didn't work out here? I just don't know.

But, I wish him a lot of success in New York.

Patrick helped end the drought against Dallas. and for that, I'm forever thankful.

After the season we just had, I really hope he plays alot because sometimes being a Jets fan is unbearable. Well, watching the games is anyways because we don't throw the ball farther than 30 yards and we only get about 1 attempt like that every other game. If Chad comes back and starts and his weak arm has become weaker due to the surgery, I would rather see Ramsey come in and go through some growing pains as it would at least add some excitement and the possibility for a big play.

I was impressed with his performance after Brunell went down against the Giants. It looked scary at first when the offense lined up all wrong and he had to call a timeout but that was followed by long pass to Moss. He's a good guy but we simply didn't have a place for him anymore. Im interested to see what he can do with the Jets.

After the season we just had, I really hope he plays alot because sometimes being a Jets fan is unbearable. Well, watching the games is anyways because we don't throw the ball farther than 30 yards and we only get about 1 attempt like that every other game. If Chad comes back and starts and his weak arm has become weaker due to the surgery, I would rather see Ramsey come in and go through some growing pains as it would at least add some excitement and the possibility for a big play.

Yeah, i've been talking to my Jets friends....yeah....you guys are screwed either way. I honestly don't see your team being much of a contender even if Ramsey starts.

Reguarding the question posed in the thread title, you should expect to see him lying on his back seeing stars alot. Ramsey's philosophy about evading blitzing defenders is alot like Professor Grants philosophy of escaping the T-Rex in Jurassic Park: "Don't move! He cant see us if we don't move!"

:laugh: That's hilarious but true. He needs a secure O-Line to give him time and that doesn't seem to be in place. the jets will be rebuilding this year and Ramsey is not a guy for that job. He has a cannon for an arm and can take a hit from anyone, but he just doesn't have that natural FEEL for the pocket that is needed. He could be productive in the right system but the jets aren't it. truth is I don't know if one exists. good luck with ramsey.

all of the above and...

He stares down the first reciever (gives the throw away looking so hard sometimes) and rarely sees the 2nd or 3rd throw. Great guy, tough, great arm, put up with a lot here in DC and kept his prefessional demeanor (mostly). Wish him well.

As long as you have a good running game and good OL he should be alright. That would be wild to see him and Coles hook up again on touch downs. Coles and him had very good chemistry working here when they were skins.

You'll get a team first kind of guy with a strong arm that still needs to develop a true ability to make reads without locking onto one WR. He is not fast and can't really move well, but given time in the pocket and IF he develops his ability to progress through his reads you'll get a very decent QB. I still think he can develop into a good starting QB in the NFL. I just wish that as a Redskin fan we could have seen him with really good pass protection instead of what Spurrier brought to this team. I believe, as others do, that his first two years in the NFL under Spurrier did far more harm to Ramsey's development then most people think...it made him a little gun shy.

Jet fans will love the pro attitude he will bring to the team. He proved that by the way he handled things here in DC the last two seasons.

PROS

Rifle Arm

Accurate ( If 1st option is OPEN)

Can make every throw

Tough as Bradshaw

Good Leader ( will always take the blame )

Coachable ( will do & try anything to please the coaching staff)

CONS

Happy Feet (No presense while in the pocket)

Not too Quick analyzing 2nd and 3rd option

Fumbles (holds the ball too long)

Interceptions ( tries to do it all....takes too many risks )

Ramsey is one of the toughest kids I've ever seen play QB. He's absolutely fearless. While he's no Favre yet, I think the comparison is accurate ... in both good and bad ways.

He's not afraid to stand in the pocket and wait for a WR to get open. The upside is that he doesn't often panic. The downside is he often waits too long, he doesn't sense the rush all that well and he takes a lot of sacks.

He also has a tendency to lock onto his primary receiver, and will try and force the ball to him whether he's open or not. The upside of this is his arm is a cannon, and he often completes unbelieveable throws. The downside is, well, sometimes he doesn't.

Ramsey has had limited starting opportunities, so he has a tremendous upside. You all got a deal when you gave up a 6th for him. If he irons a few things out I think he has a great chance of becoming a solid, if not excellent starter in this league, and I personally wish him nothing but the best.

At least when he's not playing us. :)

Patrick's strengths are:

*toughness: the guy is tough and can take a hit

*canon arm: very strong arm... can make pretty much any pass

*already has a good repoire with L. Coles

*likability: a good team player... not a boat rocker or a problem causer (at least not publicly)

Weaknesses:

*doesn't see the field well: while he can make the right throw sometimes, more often than not it is followed by the dumbest mistake a green rookie wouldn't make.

*not the greatest at reading defenses: this probably goes along with not seeing the field well

*no real pocket precense: doesn't seem to feel the pressure real well.. we've see Ramsey scramble, and though not nimble, its adequate. He just doesn't seem to know when to move.

*holds onto the ball too long: This is a big one. Ramsey just, for whatever reason, just won't throw the ball before the receiver makes his cut like he is supposed too. He wants to wait until AFTER the receiver has made his cut to throw the ball. Like he doesn't trust the receiver to do it right or he just won't trust himself.

Either way, it's caused him to take way too many sacks and throw to many INTs b/c by the time he throws, the opposing 'D' has figured out what's going on.

*seems to get confused to easy at the LOS causing false starts and delay of game penalties... as well as taking costly time-outs

Bottom line: Ramsey is a tough, stong-armed guy (former javelin thrower) who can do some good things, but the major hinderances he has that led to Gibbs to not trust him leading this team will haunt him in NY as well.

I don't get all the bashing of Ramsey on here. I don't recall one game that he "lost" due to poor decision making. Yes he had turnovers and yes he held onto the ball too long sometimes, but he also made great plays.

He threw three INTs in the redzone against the Giants two years ago, but he also scored twice in that game and we almost came back and won despite the turnovers. None of those INTs led to Giant points.

He is a tough, accurate and witty quarterback. He has the gunslinger mentality of Brett Favre and is tough as nails. His progressions were better last year against the Giants (the only game time he saw) and he still showed the ability to get the ball downfield in a hurry.

To answer the Jets fan's question, I think you are getting a steal for a sixth round draft pick. He will pan out and will play for years with good success. He won't take you on his shoulders and win the superbowl; however, give him a supporting cast and he'll make the Jets a much better team.

I don't get all the bashing on Ramsey on here. I don't recall one game that he "lost" due to poor decision making. Yes he had turnovers and yes he held onto the ball too long sometimes, but he also made great plays.

He threw three INTs in the redzone against the Giants two years ago, but he also scored twice in that game and we almost came back and won despite the turnovers. None of those INTs led to Giant points.

You're forgetting the VERY stupid INT he threw at the end of the Eagles game in 2004 that cost us the game?

Or when Gibbs let him start at the beginning of 2005 (3 drives, 3 straight turnovers).

See Ramsey for what he is... a good guy, a tough guy, but not someone with the instincts to be a good QB.

If you trust Gibbs record on QBs (three SB rings with three DIFFERENT QBs), then trust this decision now. :)

Fans are 50/50 on Ramsey here. What you can expect for sure is a strong arm and a great guy. He has a lot of potential, his biggest flaw is his decision making from time to time, though we dont know whether or not it has improved over the past year.

Basicaly his career here is summed up as follows. First season, one of 3 rookie QBs in NFL history to throw more TDs than INTS. Second season, 14 TDs 9 INTS, cut short with injury. Both seasons he got pounded by defenders. Third season he doesnt get to start(considering how improved his second season was, one would think he would start), Brunell starts, plays awful, gets benched halfway through. Ramseys 2 relief appearances were horrendous(probobly what most fans remember). His starts however were very good. 8 TDs 6INTs QB rating around 85 I believe. 4th season benched again, didnt get any extended playing time.

So when you look at it, he had a good first year for a rookie, then improved on it his second year, got benched his third, had 2 bad relief apperances, but was good in all the games he started. Thats his career in a nutshell.

Okay okay I can put this perfectly: When given great protection Ramsey was Mark Rypien in 1991, when given bad protection as he usually was, Ramsey was somewhere between Gus Frerotte and Shane Matthews. I think he could have been something special if he wasnt ruined by Steve Spurrier, I still think he could be great, all he needs is a good offensive line which is why I wouldnt expect much out of Ramsey on the Jets cause they cant protect the QB for their lives.

Ramsey is a great guy and a real team player. Players like him and will play hard for him. He has a great arm and is very tough. Problems are he is still working with touch however it has gotten much better over the last year. And he has not developed a good clock\presence in the pocket. However, I dont think that means he cannot, with time and patience from the coaches, Ramsey can be very good. I always saw him in the right system long enough becomming a Trent Green style of QB.

What I would be concerned with is protecting him. This is something he didn't get here at Washington. When he got a chance to get protected, he didn't get a chance to play.

So to be honest, I don't know what to tell you. He is a great personality. He has a strong arm, and I think he will be a sucessfull quarterback in the future.

Again I stress protection, because he will throw an interception to keep himself upright. I can't blame him, he got his ass kicked here for two seasons under that joke of a coach Spurrier.

I think you have a winner in him eventually. Good luck.

Hey guys, I was happy to hear that we have some legitimate competition for our soon to have a prosthetic limbed QB Chad Pennington. I hear Ramsey has a strong arm and I know he is young but other than that I don't know much about him. What are his strengths and weaknesses, and should I expect that he'll beat out Chad for the starting spot? If he does, will the Jets be going into the season with a legit starter or just a backup who beat out a banged up, injured starter? Either way it is nice to finally have a QB with an arm!!

great person. team player. superb arm. needs a fresh start and solid o line in front of him

i hope he makes all pro for you guys

I really like Ramsey and wish him well. Like to have him back actually. He's a tough guy with a big arm that tends to hold on to the ball too long and takes a lot of punishment. His touch passes aren't anything to write about but when he had to fill in the Giants game it looked like he had made big strides there.

If you give him time and let him find his stride and your OL can keep him from being knocked stupid I think you'll be VERY VERY pleased. You certainly got him cheap enough.

Archived