Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

S.C. May Soon Execute Repeat Child Rapists

flyingtiger1013

http://www.nbc4.com/news/8335069/detail.html

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- The South Carolina Senate has given preliminary approval to a bill that authorizes the death penalty for twice-convicted child rapists.

The proposal approved Tuesday still needs a final reading before going on to the House.

It would authorize prosecutors to seek capital punishment for any sex offender convicted twice of raping children younger than 11.

The plan is part of a larger bill that would set minimum sentences for sex offenders and require lifetime electronic monitoring for some of them.

Opponents said the measure would be unconstitutional. But the U. S. Supreme Court declined to review a Louisiana law that allows the death penalty for people who rape children younger than 12. Currently, murder is the only crime in South Carolina eligible for the death penalty.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in a 1977 Georgia case involving an adult victim that sentencing someone to death for rape was unconstitutional.

State Sen. Jake Knotts, chief backer of the South Carolina bill, said criminals who rape children don't belong on earth. :applause: :cheers:

Good.

I am so much respect for the parents of the children who fall victim to these horrible crimes. It must take every ounce of will power not to hunt down those sick pieces of **** on their own and kill them themselves.

I know I feel the same way. I know I would find it hard to not "snap."

I'm good with it.

There's some thinge that I hope are in it, like I think it should only apply if the victim is under 11 and the rapist is over 18. OTOH, I'd hope that if the rapist is 13, the prosecutor wouldn't ask for death even if the statute allows it.

Could someone shed some light on the origins of capital punishment in US law? What is it based on? etc.

I have no problem if this passes but I think since the majority of the people who commit these horrible crimes were victims themselves of child abuse there shouldn't be a cookie cutter formula to apply this punishment.

One offense is one too many. Why give them the chance to rape again?

I assume they are giving the criminals one chance at redemption.

I wonder how many child rapists have been incorrectly found guilty.

Just so you know though, rape is one of the worst crimes imaginable in my mind. Worse still when it's a child.

One offense is one too many. Why give them the chance to rape again?

Exactly. There is no reason they should get off and be allowed the chance to do this again. Usually the argument to let this kinds of people out is "its not fair to them" and "the deserve a second chance."

Those statements are BS. It wasnt fair what happened to the victim, and no one deserves a second chance when they commit an act such as that.

This argument also applies to murderers.

All the knee jerk stuff out of the way yet?

Time for my liberal knee jerk response: the death penalty is always wrong and it is wrong here too.

Why should someone who has murdered people be allowed to have the chance to continue this? Why should they be allowed to continue in life, something they stole from someone else? They lost the "right" to live when they took it from someone else. It is a little off topic, but I figured it was the past way to show the point. Why it would be right.

It is an attempt to appear tough on crime. While I personally have no problem with the law, it is still probably unconsitutional and an oppurtunity for mssr Knotts to rail against the federal gov for protecting child rapists. A political ploy to score points, nothing more.

Archived