Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Arrington Sucked Me In From Day One

Reaganaut

All those years ago...

Sking fans first encountered Lavar Arrington when he showed up to Redskins mini-camp...Er.... I mean didn't show up at mini-camp. We all learned who the Postons were loud and clear. We all learned who Dan Snyder was.... remember the $100K a day fine?

I (for one) started on a bad foot as a fan of this player. He wanted more money than his slot in the draft allowed him. (Hello Winslow?)

This was right before I joined Extremeskins and Google had just taken over Deja News (remember that?) I posted on some Usenet group that should have been called alt.nfl.something.redskins.idiots.

In anger about his holdout I wrote a scathing piece on him discussing comments made by Joe Paterno about how "he's not even the best Linebacker on our team."

Then THE thread appeared.

"I am Lavar Arrington's brother."

Yep. He has a brother named Michael. Skins fans finally saw him on the program where Lavar tried his hand at interior decorating.

Michael told us then that Lavar is a great guy and loves all the tradition of the Redskins. Lavar was hurt by the things people here were saying about him mostly the play on his name "Lavar Arrogant." Remember that nickname?

I bought in right then. Hook line and sinker. If his brother was willing to come onto the Usenet and defend him then I agreed to hold off. Lavar then signed and the love affair with Skins fans started.

His rookie season we actually saw Lavar on special teams take a reverse on a Kickoff and run it for fifty yards. He knocked out Troy Aikman. The list goes on.

But...

There was always nagging information about him around and we all ignored it because he was the new face of the Redskins.

This information came from coaches. It seems like the only coach who actually LIKED Arrington was Kurt Schottenheimer. All his other coaches including two hall of famers JoePa and Joe Gibbs gave all the signs of putting the guy down.

"Mr. Can't Get Right" is an apt term. I hate Warren Sapp for being right. He's an insufferable *****, but he also happens to be one of the most intelligent men in the NFL. He had Arrington pegged pretty well. We learned that later of course when he never could "get right."

As we learned more about Arrington, we learned that he was good friends with Dan Snyder who got branded as a "jock sniffer" (snicker) for this. Lavar also wanted a better defensive line so in absense of a clear General Manager on the team, feels comfortable enough to make a few suggestions.

He extends this to running backs eventually. We hear he had never met Cory Dillon, but he'd like to see him signed as the Skins running back to replace Steven Davis. Never mind he was right about these opinions, but he's a football player. How many football players are invited to participate in decisions like this. How about none. (See Terrell Owens)

Enter Joe Gibbs.

Everyone loves Joe Gibbs... even people that hate Gibbs love him. Tony freaking Stewart loves Gibbs. Arrington doesn't love Gibbs. If he did then he wouldn't have implicated him in playing him too soon or making Gibbs appear ot be a liar when he said he controls personnel decisions. Arrington wasn't getting in Dan Snyder's grill he was getting in Gibbs.

And when it comes down to it, there will never be any player who goes mano a mano with St. Joe. Fans would have dragged Riggo from the back of the "diesel" if he did what Arrington did. Riggo was a loveable goof who drank too much, but kicked it on the field.

Honestly, I believed at the beginning of his career that he was going to end up like Troy Aikman - getting too many concussions to keep playing. I thought that we were looking at injuries ending his career because of his aggressive playing style. I didn't think he would turn on the Redskins.

BUT... I knew something wasn't right from the beginning. His brother got me when he wrote passionately about Lavar and how great of a guy he was. I still think he's a decent guy, but not a "great" guy. Reserve that term for more deserving players like Jon Jansen.

I'm sad that we never got to have as much fun with Lavar as we had with Wilber Marshall who is the greatest Skins linebacker of the modern era. Lavar took out Troy Aikman. That's his primary legacy here unfortunately.

He suckered us into thinking that he was the savior of the franchise when he was really a frail human being under the muscular exterior. His ego got the best of him. He's a gladiator for sure, but if he REALLY cared about the Redskins he would never have crossed Joe Gibbs. He crossed another Joe long before that and we didn't listen. Paterno is now a national power again in football after all those doubts. The old lions.

I haven't heard many tears shed from other Skins players about his departure. That speaks louder than anything else.

most great players have baguage that come with them and lavar was one. now that he is gone yall gonna bash him, thats real disloyal man u guys giving us redskin fans bad name. I enjoyed lavar play as a redskin and i refuse to bash him because he is not here no more. also he didn't cross Joe, he was willing to redo his contract but the redskins were going to cut him after june 1 if there had not been a CBA extension, so he did what he had to do. get that $hit right.:doh:

Lavar has always been about what is best for Lavar. First, he wanted to be a "Redskin for life." Then, he wanted to stay in the NFC East so he could "bless us with his presense" twice a year. The truth is, he will go to the highest bidder. If he's not making what he thinks he's worth, he will start whining and complaining.

In my opinion he never came close to making enough good plays to justify his opinion of his own worth. The sad part is he has enough natural talent that if he channeled it into being a great football player, he could be one of the best ever.

In my opinion he never came close to making enough good plays to justify his opinion of his own worth. The sad part is he has enough natural talent that if he channeled it into being a great football player, he could be one of the best ever.

Washington has been suckered with high draft picks that usually never work out because they get their fannys kissed. Williams doesn't kiss anyone's behind and it shows in the play of first rounder Taylor. Arrington became a prima donna and it showed. He could have been great though.

I played football up at Dickinson College in Carlisle, PA, and remember, during the Marty era, seeing Lavar in person during camp . . . he was one of the most incredible specimens I've ever seen, with out without pads on . . . he looked ike he could jump through a roof and beat you up at the same time . . .

Suffice it to say that image, like many, proves to tbe the ultimate legacy of Lavar - a tease . . .

Who needs Lavar when you have MARCUS WASHINGTON???

Great post.

Stop the hate! Have some of the people here just started watching football? If clinton gets hurt and cant play and it takes awhile to recover. I guess you guys start spreading the hate on him too? Lavar was our best player through some lean years,number of coaches and bad FO moves and lavar was the only player the skins FO could market as the face of the organization.I'm sure some of you will switch teams if the skins have an off year. Lavar was a great redskin while he was here,and Iwish him the best where ever he goes.:2cents:

Stop the hate! Have some of the people here just started watching football? If clinton gets hurt and cant play and it takes awhile to recover. I guess you guys start spreading the hate on him too? Lavar was our best player through some lean years,number of coaches and bad FO moves and lavar was the only player the skins FO could market as the face of the organization.I'm sure some of you will switch teams if the skins have an off year. Lavar was a great redskin while he was here,and Iwish him the best where ever he goes.:2cents:

Just stop, he NEVER lived up to his potential... PERIOD!!! He was always an over-paid pre-madonna. I am not saying this b/c of his injury or the fact that he isnt a Skin anymore.

Two of the best defensive coordinators in the league (Lewis and Williams) not to mention Paterno, didnt like him. He was not the media hype you all love. Never was. :2cents:

Why kick a dead horse ... nobody is in a rush to sign LaVar ... nuff said. He had a great PR man workin for him, but he never produced any money shots on the field ... what a phoney he turned out to be ... he broke the hearts of all Skins fans and will never be fogotten for that.

"

Stop the hate! Have some of the people here just started watching football? If clinton gets hurt and cant play and it takes awhile to recover. I guess you guys start spreading the hate on him too? Lavar was our best player through some lean years,number of coaches and bad FO moves and lavar was the only player the skins FO could market as the face of the organization.I'm sure some of you will switch teams if the skins have an off year. Lavar was a great redskin while he was here,and Iwish him the best where ever he goes."

:cheers:

Thank you. finaly some one loyal

Wow. USENET. Before Internet forums such as this were the norm. I used to troll the Pokemon newsgroup for fun, but I did lurk the Redskins board (alt.sport.football.washington.redskins or whatever the heck it was). All I remember is that there was one dude who pretended like he knew everything and everyone else hated him.

LAVAR'S is getting into his prime , you have know clue about his potential,and all these guys are over paid. Coaches, a different one every year is what it seen like

Just stop, he NEVER lived up to his potential... PERIOD!!! He was always an over-paid pre-madonna. I am not saying this b/c of his injury or the fact that he isnt a Skin anymore.

Two of the best defensive coordinators in the league (Lewis and Williams) not to mention Paterno, didnt like him. He was not the media hype you all love. Never w

as. :2cents:

three years ago every owner in the NFL would've got in their knees and ask lavar to be on their team, but no one is going to rush to sign you after you come off a major knee injury. the funny thing is the same people that are bashing lavar are now are the same people who were jumping up and down when lavar was smakin cowboy QBs. by the look of it you guys will say the same thing three years from now if this was to happen to Sean Taylor. real sad!:doh:

I think the fact that Lavar is still on the market says a lot about what other teams think of Arrington.

The problem for us as fans is that most of what we see is what is on the highlight reel. We see the plays that stand out. We don't always see when a player doesn't make a play, when he may be out of position, unless the announcers catch it and show it to us.

Lavar has always been a man of massive talent. Unfortunatly, he's never been able to make the best of his abilities. Whether it was because of coaching changes, or him not adjusting to changing situations, we probably won't know for sure. What I do know is that for the first time in his career, he had some stability in the staff here, and he decided it wasn't worth his time to stay. So, he's decided yet again to change systems for a big paycheck (which he might not get at this point.) and start over yet again.

Jason

Wow. USENET. Before Internet forums such as this were the norm. I used to troll the Pokemon newsgroup for fun, but I did lurk the Redskins board (alt.sport.football.washington.redskins or whatever the heck it was). All I remember is that there was one dude who pretended like he knew everything and everyone else hated him.

EXACTLY!!! He was from New Jersey or something. The group was more about him than the Skins. There was also some person who would always turn posts into homosexual themed rants. It was based around Michael Westbrook. I was desperate to find real Skins information and found ExtremeSkins. I am very grateful to the founders of this site. What was that guy's name anyway?

Williams doesn't kiss anyone's behind and it shows in the play of first rounder Taylor.

What have you seen in Sean Taylor's 1st 2 seasons of playing that is superior to LaVar Arrington in 2000 and 2001?

I love the revisionist history people have with LaVar. There was nothing wrong with the way he played the game of football his first 4 seasons with the team. He was our best player, by far, he adapted to a new system every year and excelled and it's not his fault that he came to a loser outfit and other great players like a Wilber Marshall came to a winner.

We had more fun with Wilber because the team around him was light years better. But I guess those that like to revise history choose to forget that Wilber did not get along with Richie Petitbon and rebelled against the way he was used. Richie also pulled Wilbur on 3rd downs his first 2 years with the team. There were times those first two years that Wilber expressed regret in leaving Chicago. It was after being in the system for 3 years, did Wilber accept his role and played like a beast in 1991 and 1992.

Let's remember John Riggins as the lovable drunk who powered the Skins to a title in 1982, let's choose to forget that Riggins was a disappointment for his first 4 seasons with the team and then walked out on the team and pulled a Sean Gilbert in 1980.

3 events occured that led to LaVar's leaving the Skins and none of them had to do with on field performance.

1. The disputed 6.5 mil in his new contract poisoned his relationship with Snyder and some fans.

2. His injury in 2004 prevented him from meshing with the new defense and apparently lingered into the beginning of the 05 season.

3. His relationship or lackthereof with his position coach was the final straw and LaVar wanted out.

If people want to rip LaVar at least be accurate. You don't like the guy, fine. You think he's not the same player since the injury, fine you may very well be right about that.

But LaVar Arrington was a great player on a bad Redskins team. It's too bad he bears the brunt of criticism considering that his side of the ball was actually good during this time and he made the pro bowl 3 times.

It was horrid offenses that spelled doom for the Skins 00-03. It also was the undoing of the 2004 team but I don't hear people blaming Marcus Washington or Cornelius Griffin for the 6-10 record of 2004........why is that? What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

most great players have package that come with them and lavar was one. now that he is gone yall gonna bash him, thats real disloyal man u guys giving us redskin fans bad name. I enjoyed lavar play as a redskin and i refuse to bash him because he is not here no more. also he didn't cross Joe, he was willing to redo his contract but the redskins were going to cut him after june 1 if there had not been a CBA extension, so he did what he had to do. get that $hit right.:doh:

Man I don't mean to bash another loyal Skins fan but I have to take you to task for this entry. It is painful to read with all the broken sentences, not to mention the fact that I disagree with the point you make. If and I do say IF Lavar wanted to be a "Redskin for life" all it would have taken was some compromise on his part, the Skins did make him an offer, he just thought he was above it. If he truely wanted to stay here then his first concern would not have been that he wouldn't get his fair market value. And also I believe that you wanted to say that most great players have baguage that come with them, not package.

ma bad about the typo, but i saw an article at washingtonpost.com that say the skins were going to cut him after june 1st if there had not been CBA ext.

thanx for the writting lesson by the way i did not know i was writting an essay professor. i will writte carefully next time so you could understand it okaaaaaaaaaaay buddy.

It was horrid offenses that spelled doom for the Skins 00-03. It also was the undoing of the 2004 team but I don't hear people blaming Marcus Washington or Cornelius Griffin for the 6-10 record of 2004........why is that? What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

I think the difference is that Marcus and Cornelius didn't have weekly radio shows where they blasted the coaches for playing ("they rushed me back too soon"), or not playing them. They didn't blast the owner for not putting another $6.5 million in their $68.5 million contracts. The two of them just showed up and played their hearts out. That's why we don't blame them.

i agree with you when it comes to the money he was asking for too much, but everything els he was telling the truth and you can't blame him for that. i would've done the same thing if i was making the most money on the team and i was benched

I think the difference is that Marcus and Cornelius didn't have weekly radio shows where they blasted the coaches for playing ("they rushed me back too soon"), or not playing them. They didn't blast the owner for not putting another $6.5 million in their $68.5 million contracts. The two of them just showed up and played their hearts out. That's why we don't blame them.

Exactly, thank you.

Can we please move on now??? He's gone, good riddance to him. the team is better w/out him and this is a year to get excited about. Now let some other team pay him too much money for his bi-polar rear-end and move on!!!

EXACTLY!!! He was from New Jersey or something. The group was more about him than the Skins. There was also some person who would always turn posts into homosexual themed rants. It was based around Michael Westbrook. I was desperate to find real Skins information and found ExtremeSkins. I am very grateful to the founders of this site. What was that guy's name anyway?

Yes, the KING OF ALL NEWSGROUPS from New Jersey, he knew everything about everything and told you that in every post. And the homoranter was HOOPER. I quit going to that group because of those guys. You couldn't get away from them, killfiling them didn't work because everyone else quoted them all the time. Haven't seen a PLONK taken in anger since those days, glad I found ES, haven't been back to usenet since.

I don't know where to begin to describe how totally incorrect this statement is. No one hates him because he was hurt, or because it took him a long time to recover. Truth be told, the word hate is thrown carelessly around, and very few, if any, people literally hate him. But many, myself included, dislike him as a Redskin.

Second, he was the "face of the franchise" because he would not have had it another way. The only way he represented the Redskins in his first few seasons was by never living up to his potential, a trait common among Redskins teams of the recent past. He was a popular player in college, the second pick in the draft, and had made some big plays. Those type of guys are always going to be high profile.

The switching teams assertion is preposterous.

Finally, to say he was a great Redskin is like saying a Jeep Cherokee is a great car. Sure, everybody who doesn't have on thinks they'd like to have one, but the minute they get one, it gives them nothing but trouble. Then, when you want to get rid of it, no one wants it unless it is at their price.

A great Redskin wouldn't have publicly moaned about his future during a playoff run, dragged his agent's contractual mistake out in the court of public opinion. complained that his coaching staff changed numerous times, or refused to play according to the scheme.

I'm looking forward to watching him underachieve someplace else next season.

Archived