Extremeskins

WT - Washington eyes bigger leadership role

JimmiJo

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20060329-120342-3761r.htm

Washington eyes bigger leadership role

By Ryan O'Halloran

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

March 29, 2006

Linebacker Marcus Washington already senses something is missing. But he says the Washington Redskins will not really notice LaVar Arrington's absence until training camp, when the booming voice won't be bouncing off the locker room walls.

"It's [strange], and it's going to be for a while," Washington said yesterday at Redskin Park. "We'll notice him being gone more during the season -- his verbal leadership, his enthusiasm on the field, the way he intimidates opposing teams. But the thing I like about this organization is, since I've been here, somebody has stepped up."

With Arrington and the Redskins parting ways earlier this month, Washington's role as a leader is expected to increase. He has exhibited that quality by being a workout warrior -- even before voluntary workouts started Monday, Washington was a regular at the complex.

"You get to know the guys, and you get that camaraderie," he said. "I'm here working, and I see guys like Shawn [springs] and Cornelius [Griffin] working, and I don't want to let those guys down because I know what they're putting into this."

Click on link for full article...

Marcus Washington and Lemar Marshall both stepped up last year. Marcus is better than Lavar ever was. Hes a team player, an emotional player, an extremely good blitzer, and has some really good dance moves!

Hes the leader of the defense and has been for a while, hes just being humble when he mentions Lavar cause hes got character.

I've seen Marcus Washington get improve increasingly over the past two years. I suspect, however, that his breakout season will come this year, with him stepping onto the field considered our number 1 Linebacker.

Even when Arrington was getting limited playing time he often considered our primary Linebacker.

Sean Taylor may be the one on our defense that other teams fear, but I truly believe Marcus Washington is the heart, soul, and leader of our defense.

He's always fired up, he never lets anyone run past him, and he never takes a play off.

Guest santana4prez

Marcus Washington is the heart and soul of the Redskins defense. Everything is pointing to an even bigger role in 2006.

I loved the INT he had in the Cowboys game.

I met Marcus on the night that the team came home to Redskins Park after the Tampa Bay Playoff Victory and him and Gibbs were the only people left signing autographs late into the morning when all of the team had already left and many of the fans were already gone also. I told him that he was making this city crazy with how they have turned things around with the team. Class act, this guy has been the leader and now that LaVar has moved on he will open up and become the true face of our Defense.

As long as LaVar was here he was always going to be the leader of the D. Maybe Gibbs let LaVar go because he saw a real potential for greatness in Washington as the new leader of the Defense.

I disagree, Lavar was in no way the leader of our defense last year. How can you say he was our defensive leader when he was on and off the bench, MW was already the leader of our defense, now he will get the credit he deserves for that.

I am very happy that marcus will have a chance to step up and be the "new" face of the skins.

I agree that he will step up and be a powerful force in the locker room but I have a feeling he won't be "the face" like LA was simply because of the attention that Moss and Portis get when they are racking up the yards.... but we will ultimately have to wait until the season starts to really see how it plays out(which feels like it will only be a million years from now!!)

Marcus has been the heart and sould of our D for 2 years now. He got hosed on the probowl last year. Expect big things from him this season. He's a true Joe Gibbs player. Always positive and upbeat, you can tell he really loves football. He's not the type of star player that's trying to cash a big check and get by, he's a team 1st guy with great enthusiasm. He plays the game like a rookie, or even a college kid, but he's got the smarts and the skills of a pro-bowler. What a great aquisition. Gibbs and Willaims are superb talent evaluators. Marcus, Clinton, Santana, Cooley...all picked up in the Gibbs era. Marcus is a stud.

Archived