Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shouldn't Thomas Be Ok By Now?

RiggoReincarnated

I thought a broken leg like Thomas' took 8-12 weeks to heal. His leg was broken on December 17th. We should be well over 12 weeks, and I had heard he was going to be training at the start of offseason workouts. What's really going on with his leg I wonder?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/28/AR2006032801725.html

"Right guard Randy Thomas, who is recovering from a broken leg, said yesterday he is not thinking about when he will be ready to participate in workouts. "I'm not going to try and frustrate myself by wondering when that's going to happen," he said. "I have my good days and my bad days."

A broken tibia heals to the point where the two pieces of the bone no longer move because they are finally fused back together usually within 8-12 weeks. Now this doesn't mean he should jump into the level of physical activity he would be at when completely healthy. There's going to be a period of rehabbing that will be necessary to get his leg to 100%.

I wish RT all the luck in the world. Trying to play after something like that always looks difficult to me. It seems like players do come back but are never quit what they were. Another sign of his progrss is take a look at OL attention here lately. See any new guards coming in?

I broke my tibia last year in May and I couldn't start running habitually until OCT time frame. Of course every injury is different but I learned quite a bit about a tibea break because I broke mine.

Yes the tibia is a non-weight bearing bone but as such it also has VERY limited blood flow and therefore is very slow to heal. The tibia is the 2nd slowest healing bone in the body generally speaking, but it really depends on where it is broken. I snapped mine right in the middle wihich was THE slowest place for it to heal. If I remember correctly, RT broke his closer to the ankle. The good news is once it is healed, it truly feels like "new", at least mine does.

I broke my tibia last year in May and I couldn't start running habitually until OCT time frame. Of course every injury is different but I learned quite a bit about a tibia break because I broke mine.

Yes the tibia is a non-weight bearing bone but as such it also has VERY limited blood flow and therefore is very slow to heal. The tibia is the 2nd slowest healing bone in the body generally speaking, but it really depends on where it is broken. I snapped mine right in the middle wihich was THE slowest place for it to heal. If I remember correctly, RT broke his closer to the ankle. The good news is once it is healed, it truly feels like "new", at least mine does.

I broke my tibia last year in May and I couldn't start running habitually until OCT time frame. Of course every injury is different but I learned quite a bit about a tibea break because I broke mine.

The fibula is the non-weight bearing bone. The tibia communicates directly with the femur proximally and the tarsal bones of the ankle distally.

I thought a broken leg like Thomas' took 8-12 weeks to heal. His leg was broken on December 17th. We should be well over 12 weeks, and I had heard he was going to be training at the start of offseason workouts. What's really going on with his leg I wonder?

You're wondering why he can't go 100% full-on when his leg only just recently fully healed... ? Have you ever had a fracture? How about a surgically-repared fracture? You can't go 100% back into previous physical activities just because the Doctor says it is healed. Hell, you can't even do that after a 2-3 month layoff on a good leg.

Right after he had surgery, (around the Seattle game I think) they were reporting that he might not be ready at the start of the season. Unless he's doing much better than expected, I wouldn't get my hopes up that he'll be in camp.

Those same people also said he had a torn ACL, not a break. That makes them about as reliable as a Washington Post sports writer.

Archived