Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

COULD effect the 'Skins... Owner's meeting. Los Angelas Team Question

Fede

If LA was to get a team in the next few years, which is the general consensus, how would that work with the distribution of teams? Right now each division has 4 teams, so the distribution is even. If LA gets a team, you think it would be an expansion, or just a moved franchise? Would they then add another team in future years (Los Vegas wants a team)? How do you guys think this stuff would work? Just wondering.

L.A. wont get a team for a few years at least.

Why you ask?

There are several different groups lobbying the NFL for a team to either pack up and move here or for an expansion team (wont happen with 32 teams already in the league). Without a unified voice, they are cutting the legs out from one another and looking foolish to the other owners and the commish.

The NFL has to agree to choose a site for the stadium. Right now there are no fewer than 3 different sites being submitted to the NFL and they haven't decided on anything.

I think they would 1st look at moving a franchise.

But who?

AZ is getting a new stadium. The Saints are staying put.

adding another team or 2 makes a divisions harder to split up.

They were talking to the president of the KC chiefs on Sirius NFL Radio yesterday, he said many owners are opposed to expansion, thus the LA team will most likely be relocation. The host of the show said he thought SD chargers would be a homerun for relocation, the president of the Chiefs, wouldn't deny of confirm. He simply stated, "It would be a move like that."

No offense to anyone who resides in the LA area, but I used to live there and it is not a football town if you know what I mean. They are too caught up on the Lakers, USC and UCLA to warrant another sports entity.

Plus, I think because the population is made up of so many demographics (regional origin in particular) that the team would not draw the needed constant fan backing. For example, when I lived there people mostly supported the teams from which they grew up supporting before coming to LA. Take me for instance, I am from DC and thus supported the 'Skins. Never once did I cheer for any CA team but I would have paid to see the 'Skins play in LA. (Too bad they can't play the 'Skin all 8 home games).

One positive would be the Latino and Hispanic backing of a team because as well all saw as a result of the Arizona/San Francisco game in Mexico that there is a viable fan base among Mexicans and Mexican Americans. :2cents:

Most angelenos dont want a team in Los Angeles because we are transplanted from other cities and still pull for our old teams. I moved here decades ago, but have always pulled for the Redskins. Thats why you have never heard an uproar from citizens here, about not having a team. With so many other outside interests, the people here are not like the fans in Baltimore, who cried when they initially lost the Colts.

As it is now we get 3 Sunday games on TV, usually the best matchups. If we had a local team, we would have to watch those turkeys most of the time. :laugh:

Of course I know because Los Angeles is such a huge TV market, that its eventually going to happen. I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened so far.

As far as moving a franchise here and making the divisions unbalanced, no big deal there, because the divisions have been unbalanced before. :doh:

Seriously, does LA even deserve a team after how they have been with their past franhises???

Im sorry but thats just a foolish question.

Al Davis is a cancer as an owner. Everyone knows the story of him going between LA and Oak.

Georgia Frontiere is the most hated woman not in politics in SoCal. She pretty much screwed the county and the fans out of the team by packing up and leaving even after the city of Anaheim and the fans gave her anything she wanted.

Im not sure how much of a fanbase the area will ever have again for a new team, as most fans are either Raiders fans or have adopted a new team as theirs. I personally would like to be able to see a game again without having to drive 200+ miles roundtrip again.

Take the Rams back so I don't have to waste a chance to watch another team play, say like the Redskins, because I have to watch the Rams play every week. Please!! for the love of God, take back the Rams!!!!

Hey....we don't want a team. The NFL wants a team here becuase it is the second biggest market in the country and then they could demand more in the next TV contract negotiations.

That's what this is all about. There is no one down here going around saying, " Boy..I wish we had a NFL team here."

Plus..local councilmen get their pockets filled by kickbacks from the NFL for helping them get a team in here also. That's why various council authorities are so gung-ho.

SD Chargers would be perfect IMO......SD is only about what a 3-4 hr drive from LA, so any devoted Charger fans in SD could still attend games.

It's about a two hour drive if the traffic is not so good nor so bad.

All I know is that the Chargers relocation debate has been going on ever since I moved here like 3 years ago. The team wants a new stadium, and in the past the city didn't feel they put enough into being a winning football team. But, that has changed in the last few years, since the Chargers have started winning.

I still feel that they may make the move if a new stadium deal doesn't go down, but the city wants the Chargers here a little more than they used to at this point.

Qualcomm Stadium is pretty out-dated. It looks like an old Roman style colliseum. I remember when the Superbowl was here, Tags had made a comment about never having a Superbowl in San Diego again unless they build a new one.

I used to live in SoCal and agree that a team isn't needed there, nor do the citizens seem to want one at all. Big sports town, not a big Pro Football town. Might be the only city I've been around that seems to prefer MLB and NBA to NFL.(Crazy if you ask me)

Chargers, Vikings, Jags, and Saints are all possibilities.

The Chargers have threatened for a while. The Stadium they are in isn't nice, but I didn't think it totally sucked either.

Vikings were recently bought and the new owner said he wouldn't move them, but they have the oldest stadium in the NFL(not counting Soldier and Lambeau) if I remember correctly. I hear it's LOUD, and a dump.

Jags are the hardest for me to imagine moving because Weaver seems committed to the area. Personally, I can't believe they got a pro franchise at all.

Saints. Benson can't be trusted, anything could happen there once the dust settles on Katrina issues.

It's going to be relocation.

Here's the candidates:

Oakland Raiders- They aren't making money there. A new owner once AL dies moving it back to L.A. would do wonders.

San Diego Chargers- they want a new stadium, so they could move.

Jacksonville Jaguars- they don't sell out. They had to cover some of their seats.

New Orleans Saints- New Orleans can't support a team and this was even before Katrina. NFL won't do anything right away but in 5 years there will be no NO Saints.

Minnesota Vikings- they need a new stadium.

Buffalo Bills- Once Ralph Wilson dies- he's 87- no gaurentee the team stays in dead Buffalo.

San Francisco- needs a new stadium.

The NFL has 2 reasons for a LA franchise

1. the fee for a expansion team in that market would be in the neightborhood off 500,000.00 that money ge divided among the 32 owners (Jack-pot for many owners especially the smaller markets. If a franchise moves the owners wont get any where near that payoff (though most likely they would extort some form off a relocation feee from whatever franchise moved).

2. the area is one of the largest TV markets in america and a franchise would equal more network money at the next TV rights deal.

Basically as in most things is about the money

LA's drawbacks include lack of a public ground swell of support

and no central group that meets all the NFL's requirements to own a franchise right now. It's largest hurdle is where to play? public funds for a stadium are hard to come by. and almost all locations have some issue.

What about a team moving to Vegas? Would anyone like or have a problem with that?

Las Vegas Gamblers anyone? Catchy name. What division? Probably NFC West. Look, there used to be 5 in some divisions years ago. It doesn't matter. I say the more the better.

Archived