Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2006 starting TE already on roster??

az1041

There was always a guy i noticed that was a good physical looking TE we had on our roster all of last season. Robert Johnson (6-6 278lbs) out of Auburn is the guy i am talking about. He had a good college career at Auburn and i have heard that he has been at redskins park since the seasons end working out, and the coaches really like him. Maybe he can be the replacement for Royal. Definatly has a lot of potential.

http://www.redskins.com/team/profile.jsp?id=6788

Whats the concensus on our TE situation? Draft, Free Agent, or just ride with Fauria and Johnson?

I thought he looked good last year in the limited time he had. He was dependable catching the ball. It's not a glamour position so I think he could do well for us. But I understand getting Fauria. A vet who can teach the younger types. And I think the staff really feels like we could make a run at the SB. So they want to sprinkle in as many vets as possible. It's amazing how rarely a vet gets called holding vice a rookie or young guy. Partly because they know how to hide it. But there's also that respect factor.

I thought Johnson showed better than Royal last pre-season. Everyone says Fauria is a great blocker ... but he does not seem big/strong enough for this roll ... I thought Fauria was a redzone-type-go-to-on-third-down-possession-receiever a la Clint Didier. My gut is that Johnson will play alot especially on first and second downs when the Skins run the ball ... which they always do.

robert johnson does have really good size. i remember he started at least one game last year when royal was out. i think it was the philly home game. i know he caught at least one pass for a first down because i remember thinking it was rod gardner since he was wearing 87.

I thought Johnson showed better than Royal last pre-season. Everyone says Fauria is a great blocker ... but he does not seem big/strong enough for this roll ... I thought Fauria was a redzone-type-go-to-on-third-down-possession-receiever a la Clint Didier. My gut is that Johnson will play alot especially on first and second downs when the Skins run the ball ... which they always do.

Fauria is an excellent blocker and has very good hands. He is a great Clint Didier type possesion/red-zone TE. No one will ever accuse him of stretching the field but he will make tough catches for you and he'll block his ass off. That's what he's here for.

I live in Mobile, AL and Robert was in town for a couple weeks after the season ended. He was at the YMCA every morning working out and playing some pick up basketball. Had a chance to play with him a couple times and I will say this, He is big and he is really athletic for a man that size. Always wanted to play the point and handle the rock though. I guess he should be athletic since he is a pro tight end. Pretty nice guy too.

That being said, as a poster stated earlier, this is deep draft at tight end and if one falls to us I wouldn't be surprised to see us pick one up. But I would like to see him make it.

Yes this is a deep draft at TE. But... we need a OLB, which is even deeper than TE this year, and a 3rd corner a lot more than we need a TE. And with no 3rd or 4th round pick this year, it looks like OLB is the route we are taking with the 2nd pick.

TE/HBs - Cooley, Fauria, Johnson, Sellers, and Manual White. With all the new WRs acquired I don't think the Skins need a really good pass catching TE. Only one that other teams have to respect. Fauria and Sellers fit the bill as well as Johnson if he can ever stay healthy. White is a big question mark. With some draft day manuvering the Skins could pick up another good TE in round 4 or so. Cooper Wallace from Auburn might be a good blocking TE (he's not going to stretch the field but appears to have good hands).

TE/HBs - Cooley, Fauria, Johnson, Sellers, and Manual White. With all the new WRs acquired I don't think the Skins need a really good pass catching TE. Only one that other teams have to respect. Fauria and Sellers fit the bill as well as Johnson if he can ever stay healthy. White is a big question mark. With some draft day manuvering the Skins could pick up another good TE in round 4 or so. Cooper Wallace from Auburn might be a good blocking TE (he's not going to stretch the field but appears to have good hands).

In terms of H-backs.... we have only two with experience in Cooley and Sellers. I think Sellers may have found a niche in the TE receiving role with his six touchdowns. Manuel White is also considered a H-back.... although a year on IR didn't allow him to get in the game and get his feet wet at the position.

As for TEs... it's Fauria... Johnson... and Calen Powell is also on the roster. Although, at 6'5" and 256lbs and from Duke I'm betting Powell is also a H-back possibliity due to his intelligence and lack of bulk.

If a big athletic receiving TE is available.... like Pope or Lewis.... I can see Saunders putting his two cents in to grab that guy and mold him into a Gonzalez like threat.

Archived