Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kevin Hobbs DB Prospect Auburn

Higgs44

Full Story

Mark Johnson

Special to AuburnSports.com

Marcus McNeill was there. Troy Reddick too. So were T.J. Jackson, Devin Aromashodu, Anthony Mix, Ben Obomanu, Travis Williams, Antarrious Williams and several other big-name former Auburn players.

But it was Kevin Hobbs who stole the show at Auburn's 2006 Pro Day workouts.

Hobbs, the former walk-on, improved his NFL draft stock as much as any prospect who worked out Thursday. He ran two blistering 40-yard dash times: 4.35 seconds and 4.36 seconds. Hobbs' speed had NFL scouts buzzing after his second sprint.

Hobbs, who wasn't invited to the NFL combine in February, knew that Thursday's workouts were his only chance to impress NFL scouts.

"I'm the underdog," said Hobbs, who weighed in at 191 pounds and jumped a team-leading 11 feet, 1 inch in the standing broad jump.

"I used that to my advantage. I've been staying with Stanley (McClover) this last week since I've been down here, and I've been telling him, 'This is my Super Bowl right here.' I just came out here and did what I could do. There was no pressure on me, because I'm the underdog."

But San Diego Chargers director of player personnel Buddy Nix, the highest-ranking NFL executive in attendance Thursday, said it's difficult for a player to raise his draft grade based on workouts alone.

"The only way (someone's) grade ever changes is by going back and looking at him play," Nix said. "In other words, we're not going to change a guy's grade because he lifts good or he jumps high.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

A friend put me on to him, and frankly havent been able to find really anything about him. Not rated really at all by most of the major draft sites. My buddie works with Kevins brother, so hes heard a lot about him. Even said he might be a mid round selection at this point. I really cant see that, unless just about every draft site is dead wrong, but, we have all those late picks, he may be worth a shot.

He was Carlos Rogers roomie at Auburn and was a corner before moving to safety, so he at least knows both positions... so why not?!!!

Archived