Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

do the Redskins have enough on defense to win the Superbowl?

rashee111495

I'm a new member to this web site so first I'll say hello to all my loyal Redskins fans out there. I'm very conceraned about the loss of Lavar Arrington in our linbackers core. The linebacker position has always been a strong suit of our defense. The signing of Adam Archuleta gives us without question the best tandom of safties in the NFL, but that still doesn't address what seems to be our most pressing need on the defensive side of the ball. Don't get me wrong i have undying faith in the leaders of our organization. I just want it resolved so that i don't have to think about that any longer. I just would like to have a guy at that outside linebacker spot that will go out every Sunday and crack someone's cranium and take the Redskins back to our rightful place atop the NFL.

:eaglesuck :gaintsuck :dallasuck

Welcome,

I am concerned but for different reasons. Lavar I don't think was as big a loss as many make him out to be, just because of name recognition. GW will find people to play, and they will do well.

My concern about the defense is how it relates to the improved offense. If we score early and often teams will start throwing much more to try and keep up. This will mean we will give up more yards and more scores. It also means we will get more turnovers and sacks. Should be fun to watch!

:cheers:

Arrington has not been an integral part of this defense since 2003.

He has never been a linchpin of what Williams is trying to achieve here.

I think the Redskins will find a capable OLB to fill the spot he and Warrick Holdman filled in 2005.

The Skins in fact should be looking to get BETTER play out of the position in 2006 by siging a veteran or drafting a backer at #53. Holdman lacked the speed and playmaking ability while Arrington was not the healthy, in-shape player we saw in the past.

Otherwise, we still need to find some additional depth on the DL and a #3 corner.

But these things are all doable before training camp opens in July.

10 of 11 starting jobs are filled and return starters from last season.

Hopefully, those latter picks in Day 2 will be spent on adding depth we can develop and turn into the next generation of Lemar Marshalls and Joe Salaveas.

I think the Skins wanted to sign #3 corner early in free agency but were rebuffed because all we were offering was a backup job and not the chance to start.

That's what made guys like Sam Madison go elsewhere without visiting DC. He was promised a starting job in NY.

But overall I think this club is close. The toughest things to get, playmakers, I think the defense has at each level with Griffin and Carter on the DL, Washington at LB, and Springs, Taylor and Archuleta in the secondary :)

I think our D will be just fine. I think Coach Williams likes his linebackers, fast, aggressive, and most importantly, smart and coachable. Don't get me wrong, Lavar has been my favorite Redskin for a long time; I wore #56 in highschool playing middle linebacker just to rep my boy. But obviously, after the injury, Lavar wasn't fitting into Gregg's scheme.

I think we will be able to get by at the Weak LB position by letting Clemons and either a rookie or an inexpensive free agent battle it out through the offseason. While LB is an important position on D, we have Marshall, who stepped up HUGE last season, and Marcus...who may be our best defensive player. Adding Arch at safety is clearly to help our run D, and our D-line was big down the stretch.

I think that success in the interior positions on D is more about coaching the right technique and putting guys in the right position to make plays. Dale Lindsey, Greg Blache, and Gregg Williams have proved they are some of the best in the game right now at their jobs.

Our D has proven itself time and time again...I expect them to carry us to the Superbowl next year. Lets just hope we can keep Mark, Clinton, and the O-line healthy enough to win the damn thing.

CPstretch,

Gregg Williams isn't God, but he's one of the best defensive minds in the game today. Keeping him as out D coordinator while he was heavily recruited to fill the 8 or 9 head coaching positions available this offseason was possibly our best offseason move, the only comparable success is signing Al Saunders to lead our offense. The D in 04 was nasty, but they had no help on offense and we made it all the way to 6-10. Last season, maybe the D didn't finish as high in the stats, but on the field, down the stretch, they dominated. Lets not forget the playoff win against the Bucs. We have enough talent over there to win some games...In case you haven't been watching the past 2 years, scoring points has been the problem, not our D.

The Redskins defense in 2005 had more injuries than in 2004 to key players. Griffin and Springs missed time. That didn't happen in 2004. We were breaking in a rookie corner in Carlos Rogers, something else we didn't have to do in 2004. And lastly, we played a much harder schedule in 2005, with better quarterbacks and better offenses.

We didn't see the Trent Greens and LaDainian Tomlinsons in 2004 as we did in 2005.

In 2004 we were losing to the likes of the Jeff Garcia Browns and the Kyle Boller Ravens :rolleyes:

I think that now that the offense has the potential to be one of the better offenses in the league, the defense won't need to be as good as last year. Think how dominant the D can be if they play with the lead and get a lot of rest while the O moves up and down the field!

I agree with the comment about not worrying about Arrington leaving us...He hasn't played a big part of our defense since his injury, last year he was almost absent on the feild. We should be fine without him although the nickle-corner spot needs to be filled. I'd like to see that filled during FA...I wouldn't leave that to chance during the draft. We have people who can fill Arringtons spot if needed.

Welcome to the board first of all hope you enjoy your stay here. To answer your question yes, I do believe we have enough on defense to win. Gregg Williams always find ways to plug holes and also Williams' has always had a top 10 defense with Buffalo, Tennessee his defenses was always in the top ten.

The Redskins defense has always been nasty. We only lost a linebacker who doesn't fit into to our scheme anway. Our D will fine it has enough to carry us on a long way down the stretch alone. Our new Offense will be the key, but don't worry about D with GW and our talent we will be just fine.

The Redskins defense has always been nasty. We only lost a linebacker who doesn't fit into to our scheme anway. Our D will fine it has enough to carry us on a long way down the stretch alone. Our new Offense will be the key, but don't worry about D with GW and our talent we will be just fine.

Arrington didnt play a whole lot last season but when he did he made big plays, thats the explosiveness we need to keep in our linebacker core this season.

:eaglesuck :gaintsuck

"I think that now that the offense has the potential to be one of the better offenses in the league, the defense won't need to be as good as last year. Think how dominant the D can be if they play with the lead and get a lot of rest while the O moves up and down the field!"

disagree. I think you will find, on average, that once in the playoffs teams tend to get conservative and play field position games - offensive firepower tends to drop and defensive prowess is elevated in importance. You also tend to meet better defenses in the playoffs.....another reasons scoring begins to drop (again, generally).

Archived