Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any Deadwood fans here?

21KO

Been re-watching Season 1 on DVD and Season 2 on HBO lately. Friggin great show.

One of many favorite quotes, this one from Al:

"Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair. Or ****ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man...and give some back."

....that wasn't a hidden message.....I just thought you might want to read some of the comments from last season :)

We're not exactly overrun with 'Deadwood' threads or anything.

The greatest thing about the show is that there are 4 or 5 characters who could be the center of most shows. And you never really know whats going to happen, or who's on who's side. My wife refuses to watch it because of the language.

Me? I just tell her to lighten the **** up. :laugh:

....that wasn't a hidden message.....I just thought you might want to read some of the comments from last season :)

We're not exactly overrun with 'Deadwood' threads or anything.

LOL - thanks - I was just browsing them, actually. Will dive in deeper after I finish watching "Mister Wu"

The greatest thing about the show is that there are 4 or 5 characters who could be the center of most shows. And you never really know whats going to happen, or who's on who's side.

Absolutely. The pattern of speech took me a while to pick up on, but now I find myself imitating it in normal conversation. And the annexation plot was nice and convoluted. David Milch is a true genius. I'm sure you listened to his commentary on disc one? And the interview with Keith Carradine? Amazing.

And you're right. I'd watch a show about Doc Cochran, Al, Bullock, even Charlie Utter...such well developed characters.

My wife refuses to watch it because of the language.

Me? I just tell her to lighten the **** up. :laugh:

Oh man, me too. She always comes down when there happens to be a shot of one of Al or Cy's working girls doing their thing. "I see why you watch this!! Blah blah blah...I remind my darling bride of the fate that may await her at the hooves of Mr Wu's pigs. :)

Deadwood is a great, great show. Completely, and utterly morally reprehensible. Yet, one of the few shows that I'll burn through the whole season in a night or two. Can't get enough of it.

Morally reprehensible. Yes, for the most part. But who didn't shed a tear at Al's relieving Reverend Smith of his torture? Come on, admit it.

Last thought before I go back to watching - if you're in the mood for Deadwood and booze, try a little ditty I call "male rooster sucker" shots

Get my drift? Gotta watch the profanity. ;)

It's exactly as it sounds. Whenever someone says "**********" you take a shot. After downing a few, you'll cringe whenever Al appears on screen :cheers:

edit: male rooster is redundant - "roostersucker" shots!

Morally reprehensible. Yes, for the most part. But who didn't shed a tear at Al's relieving Reverend Smith of his torture? Come on, admit it.

I actually would differ with the 'reprehensible' portion. To be sure, there are some odd alliances but within certain standards, Al has done some good when he initially started off completely bleepin' evil. Even the 'bad guys' are good compared to some other dudes. Killing the Chinese agent from San Fran and ending the execrable treatment of the prostitutes was a GOOD thing, even if it was done with violence.

Bullock isn't perfect, but he and Sol are pretty stand-up guys. As is Ellsworth and Charlie Utter.

Considering the circumstances.

I actually would differ with the 'reprehensible' portion. To be sure, there are some odd alliances but within certain standards, Al has done some good when he initially started off completely bleepin' evil. Even the 'bad guys' are good compared to some other dudes. Killing the Chinese agent from San Fran and ending the execrable treatment of the prostitutes was a GOOD thing, even if it was done with violence.

Bullock isn't perfect, but he and Sol are pretty stand-up guys. As is Ellsworth and Charlie Utter.

Considering the circumstances.

I agree, that's why I said "most part". But I didn't want to get into it right now because Mister Wu is calling (rewatching season 1 :) ) But Al's transformation is incredible writing and moreso incredible acting by Ian McShane.

"San Francisco roostersucka!! :laugh:

Been re-watching Season 1 on DVD and Season 2 on HBO lately. Friggin great show.

One of many favorite quotes, this one from Al:

"Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair. Or ****ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man...and give some back."

Love it as much as anything I've seen on TV...that very quote was my signature here for some time. Ian McShane is shockingly good in that role.

Great writing, great script, great acting, great story. HBO invests so much in creative talent and Deadwood is just another prime example. If I had to rate my favorite shows it would look something like this

Deadwood

Sopranos

Six Feet Under

Entourage

Rome

Lost

Deadwood is a fantastic show! It sucks that we have to wait until June for the new season! :mad:

HBO has us by the short curlies. I hate it but I love it!:silly:

Deadwood has got to be one of the best shows on right now. The combination of "serial" timeline with hardcore brutal action is done in a way I haven't seen. Major and minor story lines coming in and out of play...it's as addictive as any show I've seen in a long time.

I've noticed a number of serial type shows lately. 24, Lost and the reality shows come to mind. It seems to be a good technique for keeping viewers. Back at the beginning of movies and tv they did it all the time. I'm not surprised we are starting to see it more.

the first season was great but season 2 was so-so. however they could be setting the stage for big events next season.

What did you find to be "so so" about it? Just curious. I have never actually heard anyone give it even a slightly negative comment. Interested to see why you feel that way.

Archived