Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next position addressed?

blindlywewander

The skins offense is finally shaping up. However the defense seems to be falling apart. Our corners are young (aside from Springs) and inexperienced. I think the defensive backs on our roster are lacking and we should be focused on signing a talented, speedy corner soon. There have been several decent corners available throughout the free agency period, but the skins have failed to act. Also, our linebacking core needs young legs. Robert McCune may have a future, but we should still sign a strong free agent to take the place of Lavar.

Any other positional problems?

i would never say our defense is falling apart as long as GW is in charge. he knows who has the tools to work in his schemes. i'm sure he will draft some players he thinks can do it and if he has to he can pool from undrafted FA's and other players still on the market. we should still be solid IMO

'falling apart'? :laugh:

we signed Andre Carter and upgraded at DE. we signed Archuleta and upgraded over Bowen and Clark and Stoutmire. Let's face it, Bowen was hurt like Arrington for much of the past year plus and wasn no longer a real contributor. Stoutmire is 33 and clearly in the stage of his career where he is backup material. Clark is a good story, the kid who made good at a physical position despite being 5'10 and 180.

The truth is, though, that I would prefer Archuleta at SS over Clark in almost any defensive alignment.

So, that leaves us talking about depth on the DL, the weakside linebacker spot and backup corners.

The signing of Carter means we can rotate Wynn in at DT in case of injury inside, so that gives us additional flexibility. We didn't have that in 2005. We still have to find some younger players to develop along the DL and all of those second day picks from #5-#7 give us the opportunity to take a couple of DL.

At corner, we saw a clearly declining Walt Harris limp through the last part of the season. Carlos Rogers had clearly beaten him out by the time the team went on its 5-0 run at the end of the year.

So, at corner we are really where we were in January, without a clear #3 that can step up and be a capable starter if either Springs or Rogers goes down. In that regard, we are one of perhaps 25 or 26 teams that can say the same thing. In fact many teams don't have TWO quality corners :)

Corner is a possibility at #53 overall. A strong possibility.

Weakside linebacker is another possibility there, although I think the Skins will ultimately sign a veteran to help out on the outside. There are still guys available and I think more linebackers will hit the market after the draft.

I think there is a pretty good plan in place here with Williams as the Coordinator.

'Falling apart'? Again, I don't see that.

10 of 11 starting spots nailed down and its only March. That's falling apart? :)

The defense is far from falling apart.There is plenty of time to make the few additional moves needed.Possiblities are there in the draft as well as after the June 1st cuts.I believe Williams will make his moves at the right time for the right players.Patience!

we signed Andre Carter and upgraded at DE. we signed Archuleta and upgraded over Bowen and Clark and Stoutmire. Let's face it, Bowen was hurt like Arrington for much of the past year plus and wasn no longer a real contributor. Stoutmire is 33 and clearly in the stage of his career where he is backup material. Clark is a good story, the kid who made good at a physical position despite being 5'10 and 180.

The truth is, though, that I would prefer Archuleta at SS over Clark in almost any defensive alignment.

So, that leaves us talking about depth on the DL, the weakside linebacker spot and backup corners.

The signing of Carter means we can rotate Wynn in at DT in case of injury inside, so that gives us additional flexibility. We didn't have that in 2005. We still have to find some younger players to develop along the DL and all of those second day picks from #5-#7 give us the opportunity to take a couple of DL.

At corner, we saw a clearly declining Walt Harris limp through the last part of the season. Carlos Rogers had clearly beaten him out by the time the team went on its 5-0 run at the end of the year.

So, at corner we are really where we were in January, without a clear #3 that can step up and be a capable starter if either Springs or Rogers goes down. In that regard, we are one of perhaps 25 or 26 teams that can say the same thing. In fact many teams don't have TWO quality corners :)

Weakside linebacker is another possibility there, although I think the Skins will ultimately sign a veteran to help out on the outside. There are still guys available and I think more linebackers will hit the market after the draft.

I think there is a pretty good plan in place here with Williams as the Coordinator.

10 of 11 starting spots nailed down and its only March. That's falling apart? :)

couldn't agree with you more:cheers:

The skins offense is finally shaping up. However the defense seems to be falling apart. Our corners are young (aside from Springs) and inexperienced. I think the defensive backs on our roster are lacking and we should be focused on signing a talented, speedy corner soon. There have been several decent corners available throughout the free agency period, but the skins have failed to act. Also, our linebacking core needs young legs. Robert McCune may have a future, but we should still sign a strong free agent to take the place of Lavar.

Any other positional problems?

yup.. we need another experienced corner just in case either springs or rogers goes down for any time.. jimoh is okay as a #4 or for a brief time at #3... but we need a vet as the number 3

How is our defense falling apart... We improved ourselves at Safety and at DE. We added depth across our Dline, and got rid of the dead weight in our secondary. The only starter we didnt improve upon is WLB. Guess what, we have young corners. Which means as well as they played last year, they will be even more improved this year. Young is GOOD. Marshall and Washington are not old men either. One decent WLB and we are a much improved defense over last year, personel wise.

Honestly, you would think some people would think before they post these things.

very well put.

Archived