Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why George Washington was the greatest President

Cdowwe

What is your favorite Iron Maiden studio release?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Iron Maiden studio release?

• Iron Maiden (1980)
    • Killers (1981)
    • The Number of the Beast (1982)
    • Piece of Mind (1983)
    • Powerslave (1984)
    • Somewhere in Time (1986)
    • 7th Son Of A 7th Son (1988)
    • No Prayer for the Dying (1990)
    • Fear of the Dark (1992)
    • The X Factor (1995)
    • Virtual XI (1998)
    • Brave New World (2000)
    • Dance of Death (2003)
    • I do not dig Maiden

In March 1783, Washington learned of a growing mutiny plot among officers of the Continental Army, who had a long list of grievances against the Continental Congress. The plotters, with gathering frustration at the management of public business (including their own pay) by politicians, moved closer and closer to a plan for a coup d’etat to overthrow Congress and install a military government with Washington as king. Washington addressed the angry officers gathered at Newburgh, New York, in an emotional meeting that defused the plot and saved the republican cause for which Washington and his army had fought.

In December 1783, General Washington went to the Continental Congress to resign his commission. He, who had defeated one of the greatest military powers of the age, laid down his power as Commander-in-chief. At the supreme moment of triumph on the field, when so many other conquerors in history had set themselves up as kings (Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, and as Napoleon would do—which is why Lord Byron made the comparison), Washington turned his power back to his elected superiors and went home to his farm. For this action, he was called the “Cincinnatus of the West,” in reference to the legendary Roman statesman who twice became dictator, defeated the enemies of Rome, and went back to his plow.

Washington’s double refusal to use his prestige to retain power is what made him the hero of republican government and an international star. King George III of England, on learning that Washington was to resign his commission, said that “if this is true, then he will be the greatest man in the world.” Washington’s suppression of the Newburgh Rebellion and his resignation made it possible for the Constitutional Convention to create the presidency, and made Washington the obvious candidate for the first occupant of the office. Who better to trust with high office than the man who has shown both skill and the ability to walk away from power?

------------------------------

Good topic to read about if anyone is interested

After the war, Congress could not make several payments to the army. The generals met to decide whether to overthrow the fledgling government and establish their own nation. Washington turned up to the meeting and gave an impassioned speech in defense of democracy. They were unconvinced. He took out a letter, started reading it, and then paused. He reached into his pocket, took out a pair of reading glasses, and said the following:

"Gentlemen, you'll permit me to put on my spectacles, as I have grown not only grey but also blind in the service of my country."

The generals were truly moved by their leader. What an amazing man.

Imagine if you will, beign George Washington going into that meeting. A lone voice of reason to what was becoming in some ways, a bit of an angry mod. I remember watching the history channel's special on G.W. some years ago. Truely a great man and leader. That story is probably one of my favorites.

A lone voice of reason to what was becoming in some ways, a bit of an angry mod.

An angry mod? You must be thinking of ExtremeSkins again. :)

And it's a shame they didn't have football back in George's day. He'd have made a great Redskin. :cheers:

Washington’s double refusal to use his prestige to retain power is what made him the hero of republican government and an international star. King George III of England, on learning that Washington was to resign his commission, said that “if this is true, then he will be the greatest man in the world.”

Come to think of it, he didn't do anything that Joe Gibbs wouldn't have done. :D

Why? no internet or televised/radio news.

There will never be a great president again in the information age. It is impossible to be perfect when under a microscrope. Im not saying its a bad thing, its just we get way more warts about a fellow now than we did back then.

Even clinton who has people who nearly worship him cant be called "great", sure he was a great charmer a great speaker but his total package was very lacking. Minus the information age clinton would appear like the greatest thing since sliced bread. I also think Bush too would appear great without the information age.

That said I do believe Washington was a president that none can compare to, but I think an asterix needs to be put next to every president past radios mass consumption. They probably would have been viewed much better without that other guy yapping on the waves. And thats especially truer with the bloggers and the net, it was much more difficult to smear in those days. Not everyone could read, print wasnt widely consumed, so unless you could draw a crowd that was everyone you dont have near the effect that modern media has.

Theres always someone who hates someone, and they will always use any of their means to sully the object of their hate and there is always someone thats willing to lend them an ear.

In March 1783, Washington learned of a growing mutiny plot among officers of the Continental Army, who had a long list of grievances against the Continental Congress. The plotters, with gathering frustration at the management of public business (including their own pay) by politicians, moved closer and closer to a plan for a coup d’etat to overthrow Congress and install a military government with Washington as king. Washington addressed the angry officers gathered at Newburgh, New York, in an emotional meeting that defused the plot and saved the republican cause for which Washington and his army had fought.

In December 1783, General Washington went to the Continental Congress to resign his commission. He, who had defeated one of the greatest military powers of the age, laid down his power as Commander-in-chief. At the supreme moment of triumph on the field, when so many other conquerors in history had set themselves up as kings (Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, and as Napoleon would do—which is why Lord Byron made the comparison), Washington turned his power back to his elected superiors and went home to his farm. For this action, he was called the “Cincinnatus of the West,” in reference to the legendary Roman statesman who twice became dictator, defeated the enemies of Rome, and went back to his plow.

Washington’s double refusal to use his prestige to retain power is what made him the hero of republican government and an international star. King George III of England, on learning that Washington was to resign his commission, said that “if this is true, then he will be the greatest man in the world.” Washington’s suppression of the Newburgh Rebellion and his resignation made it possible for the Constitutional Convention to create the presidency, and made Washington the obvious candidate for the first occupant of the office. Who better to trust with high office than the man who has shown both skill and the ability to walk away from power?

------------------------------

Good topic to read about if anyone is interested

he was also a slave owner,<<<<<hypocrite,and dont say that it was a different time,that's no excuse.

he was also a slave owner,<<<<<hypocrite,and dont say that it was a different time,that's no excuse.

I was going to post this as a joke with a /moron HTML code.

It's not about whether it was a different time. It's that even a great man has to overcome that which his era offers. That you chose to interject with that just shows your inability to understand what 'greatness' is or what qualifies as a noble spirit. The standard you apply is if given a bit of a quick education a rational and good man like Washington would have quickly adopted to more humane and moral standards. I don't think you can say he wouldn't. The same with Jefferson (though he was a lesser man than Washington.)

Hey, you know the Amistad, the guy who led the slave revolt on that ship--the one who went back to Africa and traded in slaves?

At least Washington believed, ultimately, in emancipation and did free his slaves upon his death.

Archived