Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Great Opportunity To Add Depth in 2006 Draft

bulldog

Picks now at #2, #5, #6, #6, #6, #7, #7.

This is a draft class where the front office earns its money. There are no easy picks.

We need a starting caliber player at #2 at either LB or CB.

The #5-#7 picks are developmental players where the usual success ratios are far less than 50% year over year.

If there was a year the Skins could use a draft for depth like 1981 this is it.

In 1981 the Redskins were able to add Dexter Manley, Charlie Brown, Darryl Grant and Clint Didier AFTER the 4th round :)

The Redskins picks are 53,149,164,180,187,214,250. The 53 and 149 are our 2nd and 5th round picks. The Jets sent pick 164 to the Redskins for Ramsey that is a 6th round pick. The Redskins pick in the 6th round was 180 and pick 187also a Six Rounder came from the Panthers in the Gardner trade. The Redskins 7th round pick is 214 and the comp 7th round pick was pick 250.

I just don't think we will draft based on needs only but whoever is the best player available regardless of position.

I think we could survive right now with our current lb's and cb's and make some slight changes if needed. I would be glad to get a DT with the #2 pick.

Also Bulldog, this is wishful thinking. Just look at last year's woeful late round picks. And the past 10 years for that matter. We've been consistently bad at late-round drafting for years. Rock is one of the lone... gems. :laugh:

Could be wishful thinking, but this is considered to be one of the deepest drafts in years, so at least our odds are better at picking up a gem!! :laugh:

And to be fair, White was injured early last season, so you can't really judge him yet. Nemo is highly praised by Byner, and McCune is still on the squad. He could turn out to be good...he was a 5th round pick after all! He is a developmental player, and we'll see how he turns out. From 04, Molinaro is still on the roster. He has to have shown the coaches something, or else he would have been cut like Wilson. He could still show us something.

Beyond that, I don't count any other drafts because Gibbs and Williams were not here. Yeah, Spurrier had crap drafts, but who cares? It was Spurrier! :laugh:

After taking a quick glimpse of the roster there are 48 Locks IMO. That only leaves 5 spots, I am sure not all 5 will be rookies. The 2nd rounder takes up 1 spot, add another vet or 2, either at LB or CB. That only leaves 2 spots and we have 6 draft picks. Maybe they will find 1 or 2 that are pretty good developmental players and the rest could possibly be practice squad material.

I hope we draft a punter in one of the later rounds. In the 5th round we should be looking at a safety like Tyrone Culver or Reed Doughty. In the last round we could get a DT like Fred Evans of Texas State or guard Tony Palmer of Missouri.

If I were the Redskins I would not use a pick on a punter. Too many guys that are capable of playing in the NFL are available for free after the draft.

We need to use these picks for some big uglies up front on OL and DL as well as adding depth at linebacker and corner.

A younger blocking tight end would be nice as well :)

Archived