Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Boy, 8, accused of sexual harassment

flyingtiger1013

http://www.morningjournal.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=16373145&BRD=1699&PAG=461&dept_id=46371&rfi=6

LORAIN -- Lorain school officials this week executed an ''emergency removal'' of an 8-year-old boy who they say sexually harassed a girl in gym class.

The boy's mother, Tammy Barth, said yesterday her son was playing in gym on Tuesday when a girl student said he and two other boys may have grabbed her buttocks.

He was then questioned in an informal hearing by school officials and he admitted he had been passing love notes to the same girl.

The second-grader then asked to sign a notice of emergency removal form for sexual harassment without a parent present, Barth said. The boy printed his first name on the portion of the form asking for his signature.

School documents provided by Barth and the boy's father, Frank Johnson, did not give specifics on the incident but showed that the second-grader was removed from school on Tuesday for ''sexual harassment during gym.'' It also states the student ''admits to writing notes saying ÔI love you' and giving them to a student.''

''It's an embarrassment to me and it's an embarrassment to him because he doesn't understand what's going on,'' Barth said.

Lorain schools spokesman Dean Schnurr confirmed yesterday that a student was sent home on an ''emergency removal'' for inappropriate actions. Schnurr insisted that his removal was a minor, precautionary action.

''It's not a disciplinary action,'' Schnurr said yesterday, adding the allegation will not be placed in the student's permanent record. ''We don't want to put something in the permanent record of a youngster who may not understand what they did wrong.

''He admitted to what he was being accused of,'' Schnurr said, unable to give specifics but said they were ''inappropriate'' in nature.

However, the student's mother said the school assumed her son touched the girl because he had written her a love letter a few weeks ago.

''Apparently, they had to treat it as sexual harassment,'' Barth said, adding the girl has been friends with her son for a long time. ''And then he was given a day off of school because of passing notes that say ÔI love you.'''

Johnson said the incident was harmless and referring to it as sexual harassment is what was ''inappropriate.'''

''Little kids are going to do stupid things like that,'' he said of his son passing love letters.

The student was temporarily removed from school for a day, March 23, and instructed to come back to school on March 24 with a parent.

''It's our job to teach students at a young age that inappropriate behavior is unacceptable,'' Schnurr said. ''The student did something wrong, admitted he did something wrong and received the proper discipline.''

He added it is unfortunate that this discipline is not emphasized at the student's home.

The second-grader's parents are still wondering how to discipline their son because they are not sure of what he did wrong. Barth said being reprimanded for passing love notes to another student is not and should not be a disciplinary matter.

Johnson said his son has had a difficult time with the whole ordeal.

''He started crying and he thinks he did something wrong (by passing a love letter),'' Johnson said. ''He's a good kid and he's very, very shy. And now he's emotionally distraught.''

Barth and Johnson are planning to remove their two children from Frank Jacinto, and the Lorain School system altogether, sometime next week and enroll them in the Clearview Schools District. She said she and Johnson are also looking into taking civil action against the school.

All four of her children are honor roll students, she said, adding that any school system would be happy to take them.

''I want them out of there before (the school system) does some damage.

OK, odds on how long it is 'till some school, citing a 'zero tolerance' policy (I call them 'zero judgement' policies), prosecutes a kid for sexually stalking a minor, and a possible lifetime status as a registered pedophile?

The second-grader then asked to sign a notice of emergency removal form for sexual harassment without a parent present, Barth said.

Why the hell does an eight year old know what a notice of emergency removal form is? And if he did know what one was why did he ask for it?

When was Dodgeball removed from NY?!? That is so retarded. As for the sexually harrassment thing...this isn't the first time I've heard of this. I think it happened a few other tmes in different schools. People are dumb. If school was like this when I was in Kindergarten through 3rd grade I'd have had to register as a sexual offender by age 8 :doh: .

edit: Just looked up hte dodgeball thing, and all I found was an artcle from 2004. It was started because a mother was suing a school because her daughter broke her elbow playing dodgeball. From what I read, it's banned in certain schools all over the country. I didn't see if there was actually a law. It looks like it is decided at the school district level. here are a couple links. Read them if you really want to get ticked at the new PC, everyone must be coddled society.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6535954/

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20041121/news_1n21dodge.html

We pick our 7 year old up everyday from school and if its nice outside i go home 30 minutes early and get the 3 year old to go play in the playground..

The entire setup is Girls are chasing the boys around... The girls are chattering 30 miles a second and the boys say the occasional word here and there... With 15 moms and 1 or 2 dads monitoring it all...

The girls are a well organized killing machine with the boys looking to stay just ahead of the slower one...

hmm, well I worked with kids the last 2 summers with the Fairfax County SACC program if anyone knows about it. We are pretty restrictive there, but the problem is, we cannot administer harsh punishments.

This one kid, 8 years old going into 3rd grade, I dont know what was up with him, but he was just trouble from the day I started that summer. I know he probably did not know what he said, but he one time told this girl she had a "delicious booty" and later on he said he wanted to "take off all her clothes and rape her". I wish we could have kicked him out for that, but apparently you need multiple offenses to be kicked out. Then a week later he still keeps bothering her :doh:, kid didnt seem to learn his lesson.

The only conclusion I heard was that his brother was in middle school, single mom, so he was always with his brother and his friends after school. Either way, this kinda stuff disturbs me, as overall most of these kids can be good, just a few oddballs influence them way too much.

Why the hell does an eight year old know what a notice of emergency removal form is? And if he did know what one was why did he ask for it?

When I read that sentance, I inserted a word, aparantly, and I read "The second-grader was then asked"

(And I got mad at the school. I assumed it was a case of "the cops" asking an eight-year-old "suspect" to sign a confession (that he couldn't even read) before his lawyer could get there.)

hmm, well I worked with kids the last 2 summers with the Fairfax County SACC program if anyone knows about it. We are pretty restrictive there, but the problem is, we cannot administer harsh punishments.

This one kid, 8 years old going into 3rd grade, I dont know what was up with him, but he was just trouble from the day I started that summer. I know he probably did not know what he said, but he one time told this girl she had a "delicious booty" and later on he said he wanted to "take off all her clothes and rape her". I wish we could have kicked him out for that, but apparently you need multiple offenses to be kicked out. Then a week later he still keeps bothering her :doh:, kid didnt seem to learn his lesson.

The only conclusion I heard was that his brother was in middle school, single mom, so he was always with his brother and his friends after school. Either way, this kinda stuff disturbs me, as overall most of these kids can be good, just a few oddballs influence them way too much.

so why punish the kid. Punish the big brother, and mother. Maybe then they'll smarten up.

What do you know? My boy was at Kings Park this summer ...

Don't worry. He's only 6. :)

Hmmm...

SkinsNut73 makes mental note to check the wording on the Valentine's Day cards the kids hand out next year :)

When one of my daughters was in 2nd grade a boy asked her for her phone number so he could "call her up and ask her out on a date sometime". I have to say, sexual harassment never crossed my mind...all I thought was 'Damn...gonna have to keep my eye on this boy':)

Archived