Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins on MNF - History

RF4L

Well, here you have it. All Redskin MNF games from day 1 (I'm pretty sure). (I guess you shouldn't ask others to do what you are not willing to do yerself.;) )

Oct. 19, 1970 OAKLAND 34, Washington 20

Dec.13, 1971 Washington 38, LOS ANGELES 24

Sept. 18, 1972 Washington 24, MINNESOTA 21

Nov. 20, 1972 WASHINGTON 24, Atlanta 13

Oct. 8, 1973 WASHINGTON 14, Dallas 7

Nov. 5, 1973 PITTSBURGH 21, Washington 16

Sept. 30, 1974 WASHINGTON 30, Denver 3

Dec. 9, 1974 Washington 23, LOS ANGELES 17

Oct. 13, 1975 WASHINGTON 27, St. Louis 17

Sept. 27, 1976 Washington 20 , PHILADELPHIA 17 (OT)

Oct. 25, 1976 WASHINGTON 20, St. Louis 10 (puddle of mud at RFK)

Nov. 7, 1977 BALTIMORE 10, Washington 3

Nov. 21, 1977 WASHINGTON 10, Green Bay 9

Oct. 2, 1978 WASHINGTON 9, Dallas 5 (Kenny Houston :) )

Nov. 6, 1978 BALTIMORE 21, Washington 17

Sept. 17, 1979 WASHINGTON 27, N.Y. Giants 0

Sept. 8, 1980 Dallas 17, WASHINGTON 3

Oct. 13, 1980 DENVER 20, Washington 17

Sept. 5, 1983 Dallas 31, WASHINGTON 30 (oi vey!)

Oct. 17, 1983 GREEN BAY 48, Washington 47 (highest MNF score ever)

Oct. 31, 1983 Washington 27, SAN DIEGO 24

Sept. 10, 1984 SAN FRANCISCO 37, Washington 31

Nov. 5, 1984 WASHINGTON 27, Atlanta 14

Sept. 9, 1985 DALLAS 44, Washington 14

Oct. 7, 1985 WASHINGTON 27, St. Louis 10

Nov. 18, 1985 WASHINGTON 23, N.Y. Giants 21 (bye bye Joey :( )

Oct. 27, 1986 N.Y. GIANTS 27, Washington 20

Nov. 17, 1986 WASHINGTON 14, San Francisco 6

Oct. 19, 1987 Washington 13, DALLAS 7

Nov. 23, 1987 L.A. Rams 30, WASHINGTON 26

Sept. 5, 1988 N.Y. GIANTS 27, Washington 20

Nov. 21, 1988 SAN FRANCISCO 37, Washington 21

Sept. 11, 1989 N.Y. Giants 27, WASHINGTON 24

Nov. 20, 1989 Denver 14, WASHINGTON 10

Nov. 12, 1990 PHILADELPHIA 28, Washington 14

Sept. 9, 1991 Washington 33, DALLAS 31

Sept. 30, 1991 WASHINGTON 23, Philadelphia 0 (total domination)

Sept. 7, 1992 DALLAS 23, Washington 10

Oct. 12, 1992 WASHINGTON 34, Denver 3 (Wilbur!)

Nov. 23, 1992 NEW ORLEANS 20, Washington 3

Sept. 6. 1993 WASHINGTON 35, Dallas 16 (nice debut, Richie)

Oct. 4, 1993 MIAMI 17, Washington 10

Nov. 1, 1993 BUFFALO 24, Washington 10

Oct. 13, 1997 WASHINGTON 21, Dallas 16 (last win vs the boys :( )

Sept. 14, 1998 San Francisco 45, WASHINGTON 10

Sept. 18, 2000 Dallas 27, WASHINGTON 21

Oct. 30, 2000 Tennessee 27, WASHINGTON 21 (Samari :( )

Nov. 20, 2000 Washington 33, ST. LOUIS 20 (best of Jeff)

Sept. 24, 2001 GREEN BAY 37, Washington 0 (nice work Marty)

Oct. 15, 2001 DALLAS 9, Washington 7 (ditto)

- Overall record 24-26 (after a fast 12-4 start)

- vs. NFC East 12-10 (Dal 6-6, Phi 2-1 :D , NYG 2-3, Cards 2-0)

- The Norvskins were not a popular MNF participant (:doh: )

Here's to going to 3-1 on MNF against Philly :cheers::pint:

Sept. 17, 1979 WASHINGTON 27, N.Y. Giants 0

That was the first time I remember watching the Redskins on MNF. I was 8 years old at the time and I remember that the Giants players and one of the Redskins Players down in a pile grabbed him by the face mask then hit him in the back. Safe to say he got an unnecessary roughness penalty for that.

My father only let me watch the first half though because I had school the next day. :cry:

Oct. 12, 1992 WASHINGTON 34, Denver 3 (Wilbur!)

Art Monk broke Steve Largent's Record for most career receptions! :notworthy

First off RF4L :notworthy :cheers: . Now.... talk about a flood of memories. the 2 shoot outs in 83....(only 2 games lost that year? Just joined the service...kind of a blur :pint: :pint: ). The 91 shootout with Dallas, ( one of my favorites), and of course D.G's game.... :D (notice the careful avoidance of cough cough last year cough cough ). Yep Like that Philly Record. :D

WOW! While I don't remember a lot of those games (some partly due to alcohol), I know I've seen every one of them. I was actually lucky (or unlucky as the case may be) enough to see 14 of them in person.

There was nothing like RFK on MNF. Hopefully, FedEx Field will one day have the same feeling. Winning does that. :)

Originally posted by Jimbo

WOW! While I don't remember a lot of those games (some partly due to alcohol), I know I've seen every one of them. I was actually lucky (or unlucky as the case may be) enough to see 14 of them in person.

There was nothing like RFK on MNF. Hopefully, FedEx Field will one day have the same feeling. Winning does that. :)

I'm willing to bet that FedEx turns the corner and comes pretty damn close to the RFK atmosphere this coming Monday. :cheers:

Boy, what carnage. I told ya' I hate it when the Skins play MNF.

Since 1980, our combined MNF record is 12-22.

Even Gibbs was snakebit: 9-13 under Gibbs.

The only one with a winning record: George Allen (10-2).

Here's a prediction, stemming from my comments about Spurrier in the other MNF thread: Spurrier (over his tenure here) will have the first winning record since Allen on MNF. Spurrier seems the kind of guy, like Allen, who is really committed to the emotional element of big games, and I think that's what matters for MNF.

totally agree. the emotional component of playing on MNF is a significant factor. last week the Patriots getting even with all the people in the press that were saying they were a fluke and that Pittsburgh was a better team and was going to beat them in their house, etc..........................

Spurrier is a guy that likes the limelight and I think Monday night is the perfect venue for him to showcase his program to the NFL, pulling out all the stops :D

The Eagles are a good team, but they are not a team that is going to sweep the East this year despite what some of their fans still insist is going to be a 'special' year.

My guess is the Skins and Eagles are going to split this year and the Skins are going to win round 1 on their home turf in Spurrier's coming out party on national TV :)

the September 9, 1991 game was big in so many ways.

Gibbs warned of something, (forgot what it was), because of scheduling the boy's against the Skins. It must have been that he knew if that one game were that early, the rest of the league would face a steamroller. It also signaled the beginning of a tough and more consistant Dallas team, as Emmitt, Aikman and Irving were now in place after the 3rd year of the rebuild. Larry Allen and others were also there, with Charles Haley, Ken Norton, Jr. and Woodson and they were poised to make a run soon.

However it was Gibbs shining moment of glory and he was not to be denied as he had been in 1990! The Skins held on against a tooth and nail fighter in the cowpokes and proceeded to rip the league for 11 straight big ones, on their way to the big house and after party by humbling the Bills power team. There was so much energy on that team that the following year, decimated by injuries all over the roster, the Skins still were just one play away from going the NFC title game, losing in the mud in San Francisco.

No Mr. Maruicci, we OWE YOU ONE

:D

:pint: <-------- RF4L drinkin' the brew I got for him!!

Man that was GOOD WORK compiling EVERY single Redskin Monday night game.

Oct. 17, 1983 GREEN BAY 48, Washington 47 (highest MNF score ever)

I remember getting my AZZ WHUPPED by my mom because I stayed up so late to watch that whole game. I think she was taking out her anger on me because our Skins lost.

Quick factoid concerning Green Bay that year.....

Bart Starr was the coach. I am sure everyone remembers Lynn Dickey, the Packer QB and Eddie Lee Ivory, the halfback. Guess who their starting wideouts were that game?

Oct. 2, 1978 WASHINGTON 9, Dallas 5 (Kenny Houston )

Kenny Houston did play in that one, but I would assume you're referring to this play:

Houston_at_goal.jpg

where Houston collared Walt Garrison at the goal line to save the game in the final seconds.

That game was played a few years earlier:

Oct. 8, 1973 WASHINGTON 14, Dallas 7

RF4L, Outstanding job. Going thru that list brings back a flood of memories. It also makes me feel as old as dirt since I remember almost every game.:doh:

ASF, I believe you are right about the emotional aspect of Monday night games. During the Gibbs era we were marked men, everyone got up to play the skins on the national stage since we were a great team then. The first few years of the Spurrier era we will be the hunter and not the hunted. The Eagles have so much more to lose this monday night then we do. All the pressure is on them.

I had a dream last night that, Trotter and LA returned Mcnabb interceptions for TD's in the first quarter. LA also got a killer hit on Mcnabb and knocked him out of the game and we recovered the fumble. We took a 21-0 lead going into the 2nd quarter and the romp was on. I almost never wake up remembering my dreams. If we start out the game like this I have a new routine before skin games. I am going to have to eat an order of buffalo wings with some pepperoni pizza before bedtime.;)

Mr. Tandler,

I confess.:D Kenny Houston did have a huge interception in the 9-5 game, but indeed it was the 14-7 contest a bit earlier where he wrapped up "Skoal Brother" Walt Garrison at the one.

I got all of my data from the MNF website last night and didn't realize my gaffe until reading "Redskins A to Z" this morning (it arrived yesterday).:cheers:

Great read, Rich.:notworthy

Originally posted by RF4L

I got all of my data from the MNF website last night and didn't realize my gaffe until reading "Redskins A to Z" this morning (it arrived yesterday).:cheers:

Great read, Rich.:notworthy

Thanks for the :notworthy . I take it as a high honor.

Glad you're enjoying it. It's the ultimate arguement settler.

I recalled a Thursday Night Special by the MNF crew in the Gibbs era and it was November 29, 1984. We beat Minnesota (in the Metrodome) 31-17 and it seems to me that Charles Mann intercepted a pass and scored a TD. Thursday Night games bring up a subject I'd like to see go into effect. I'd like to see Daniel Snyder petition the league for a Thanksgiving night game every year that would start at 8 or 8:30. Just my opinion.

Originally posted by Uptown Skins

[bBart Starr was the coach. I am sure everyone remembers Lynn Dickey, the Packer QB and Eddie Lee Ivory, the halfback. Guess who their starting wideouts were that game? [/b]

Without looking it up, my guess would be John Jefferson and James Lofton, two pretty good wideouts (although Jefferson should never have left San Diego!).

Archived