Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pre-season games...will we see a vanilla offense only?

tr1

Al Saunders has joined the club. We've picked up three excellent receivers. Our O-Line should be stable (pending Thomas' re-hab.)

So, do we unveil the new offense in the pre-season or not show the opposition anything?

Personally, I'd like JG to hide the whole thing...I can wait for the games that count.

no, i can see where your coming from but we need our guys to get use to the system. they need the preseason to work everyone in all spots in the system.

But, my argument is that what we're talking about shows the importance of participating in the off-season workouts. Time to get used to each other, learning the system together until it becomes second nature. During game-time situations in the pre-season, just do the basics, add a wrinkle here and there, similar to what you learned in practice. Then, come September, since you've had a good six months to pick it up, roll with it. That's why I caution about all the predictions of Super Bowl victories because we still need to learn the new system and that takes time. If we roll everything out during the pre-season, teams will see it and now how to stop it. That's why the Steve Spurrier era was such a disaster. He showed his hand early and everyone knew how to stop us.

In preseaon it's all about execution and reps. You'll see some classic wrinkles of Al Saunders' offense so guys get used to things early but you certainly won't see us just rolling right down the field either. During preseason, you work more on certain plays in certain situations depending on down, distance and time on the clock so you know what plays might have a better chance of working during the season.

I expect a few mistakes early on and maybe some timing issues between our QB's and the new receivers but I know Gibbs will only show pieces here and there. Sure, the object of the game is to win but, early on, it's more important to work on what you want to see out of certain situations. Kind of like putting together a puzzle.

no way the skins show their hand in the pre-season . . . hopefully plenty of #17 though . . .

Id like to see plenty of Campbell in the preseason as well against opposing starters. I want to know if Brunell goes down, can we really count on #17, or should we throw Todd Collins in there. There is no question his skills are there, I want to know if he's a 'smart' QB.

Archived