Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Todd Collins Preseason stats - 2005-2004-2003

In that Todd Collins has not played very much in the past decade in regular season games, I pulled up his preseason stats for the past 3 years. At least he has played well in the preseasons, even if it was probably against scrubs. Considering that Mark Brunell and Patrick Ramsey never set the preseason on fire even against scrubs, it is maybe reassuring that Collins played well when he has been given a chance.

WR Richard Smith was also their leading receiver in 2004 preseason I believe. Smith was signed by us last winter and is now playing in NFLE and although a long shot to make the team, he had a 20.0+ yard reception average! :D

2005 Preseason stats - Todd Collins & KC Chiefs

http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/KC/2005/pre

2004 Preseason stats - Todd Collins & KC Chiefs

http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/KC/2004/pre

2003 Preseason stats - Todd Collins & KC Chiefs

http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/KC/2003/pre

im pretty sure that AL Saunders knew what he was doing what he bought in Collins to be a #3. He knows the offense quite well and could teach a few things to campbell. They certainly know that he would be capable to quick the running effecetively if some way brunell would get injuired for an extended amount of time/ or campbell is not ready enough. I hope this preseason Brunell is able to develop chemistry in a few series each game. I want to give Campbell at least 1 game with the starting unit and against a 1st team defense.

I hope this preseason Brunell is able to develop chemistry in a few series each game. I want to give Campbell at least 1 game with the starting unit and against a 1st team defense.

Our entire season is basically lying on the shoulders (or rather, knees) of Brunell, so I would certainly think it would be wise to sit him out for the entirety of at least one game, if not two.

We also need J-Cam to get as much game-experience as he can.

People will think I'm crazy for saying this, but I believe Collins could be an effective starter for us if needed. He has a great defense and quality weapons to work with on offense.
I do as well....

He will be a fine teacher for Brunell and even more important for Campbell. If Campbell needs another year of seasoning, I have no doubt he could play a couple of games if needed, and win. How hard is it to handoff to Clinton Portis and throw quick short passes to your 3 playmaking WR's and let them do there magic.

That's it. 77.6 completion percentage! Start him- NOW. j/k. Seriously though, I'm a big fan of pure dropback passers who are comfortable in the pocket over a mobile QB. I'd like to see what Collins could do with these weapons, and I like the chances of that happening as long as Saunders gets to make the choice and not Gibbs. Saunder's system is designed for a pocket passer and Collins fits better than Brunell in that role. Granted there are intangibles and decision making that are factors, but I would be dissapointed if whoever starts for us doesn't make the ProBowl with Moss, Lloyd, ARE, Patten and Cooley split out there, Portis running behind a strong O-line and Saunder's on the sideline calling plays.

People will think I'm crazy for saying this, but I believe Collins could be an effective starter for us if needed. He has a great defense and quality weapons to work with on offense.

I for one, don't think you're crazy at all. I hope the best man play's down the stretch.

Collins knows the offense, he won't have any learning curve.

It's not just preseason. His regular season stats with the Chiefs are pretty good too - 105.3 QB rating, 67 completion percentage and 0 ints.

He doesn't play much, but when he does, he plays well. Exactly what you want out of your backup QB.

This is the most important thing about him, in my opinion. How he does when the live ammo is flying.

Archived