Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Arrington NOT yet signed by Jaguars

wj94

I looked on the board and didn't see anything about the story being false, so here we go:

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/032606/jag_21455669.shtml

You need a log-in, so I can't post it, but this is the tidbit reported from FantasyFootball.com:

LB Lavar Arrington met with the Jaguars on Saturday.

Jacksonville, of other potential suitors Cincinnati and Miami, appears a good landing spot for the ex-Pro Bowler. The Jags have a gaping hole at outside linebacker. Arrington is looking for Julian Peterson-type money, who got a seven year, $54 million deal from Seattle earlier in March. Mar. 26 - 9:56 am et

I thought that 3-year, $11 million sounded way too low. Looks like it was.

the problem is that other teams like the Giants are not going to give out a $50 million contract to a linebacker.

the only teams with that kind of green are Washington, Seattle, Dallas and perhaps now the Dolphins and Raiders.

Of that group only Miami is in the market and evidently they aren't going to play Arrington's game of bonus escalation.

In my mind Arrington is in the same boat that Jeremiah Trotter was in 2004 after being released by the Redskins.

He worked on a 1 year deal in Philly to prove himself.

I wouldn't give Arrington more than a 1 year deal at this point to let him show everyone he is healthy.

If an injured Peterson can get $54 million, I'm pretty sure LA can get the same. There are still plenty of teams with plenty of cap space. What I'm wondering is why teams like Green Bay with $30+ million in cap space aren't going after any dominant players.

Also, I heard the Patriots are looking to make a run at LaVar Arrington. They have a lot of cap space and are just sitting on it. The only thing I don't know about this rumor is the fact that the Patriots as of late have been very stingy.

I believe that's the third time a team has been rumored to have signed or ready to sign the man so far. Yet each time it turns out that wasn't the case. Should be interesting to see how long this goes on. If it's the asking price and/or Lavar's agents playing games, then that could very easily make other teams shy away from considering him down the road.

This is the latest from KFFL.com

It was posted 5 hours ago:

Jaguars | Arrington has good visit

Sun, 26 Mar 2006 05:59:28 -0800

The Florida Times-Union reports free agent LB LaVar Arrington (Redskins) had a good meeting with the Jacksonville Jaguars Saturday, March 25, according to Jaguars senior vice president Paul Vance. "We like him as a player and we like him as a person,'' Vance said. Arrington stayed in Jacksonville Saturday night after spending the day with Jaguars' officials and was scheduled to leave Sunday morning, March 26. Arrington has indicated he's looking for a contract in the range of the seven-year $54 million deal that LB Julian Peterson got from the Seattle Seahawks. Vance declined to characterize the status of the negotiations except to say that talks will continue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jaguars | Arrington to visit, but price might be too high

Fri, 24 Mar 2006 10:10:18 -0800

Vito Stellino, of the Florida Times-Union, reports the Jacksonville Jaguars could be in the running for free agent LB LaVar Arrington (Redskins), but his price tag will likely have to come down. Arrington is likely to visit the Jaguars Saturday, March 25.

Blondie

What I'm wondering is why teams like Green Bay with $30+ million in cap space aren't going after any dominant players.

Maybe they don't see Lavar as a dominant player. In fact, besides his fans, it appears that Lavar isn't held in such high regrad around the NFL, or he would have been signed by now.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

2 problems with LA 1)postons are his agents 2)he listens to his agents.

Wake up LA your home is in Washington, stop being bullheaded dump those morons and sign with a great orginization with a fan base that love you....this is the greenest grass your going to find

the problem is that other teams like the Giants are not going to give out a $50 million contract to a linebacker.

the only teams with that kind of green are Washington, Seattle, Dallas and perhaps now the Dolphins and Raiders.

Of that group only Miami is in the market and evidently they aren't going to play Arrington's game of bonus escalation.

In my mind Arrington is in the same boat that Jeremiah Trotter was in 2004 after being released by the Redskins.

He worked on a 1 year deal in Philly to prove himself.

I wouldn't give Arrington more than a 1 year deal at this point to let him show everyone he is healthy.

Here is the problem players have with a 1 year contract. Let's say he is having a DPOY type season next year and he blows a knee in the playoffs. He did his part and now he is done and probably won't get another contract anywhere. This might be his last chance at a long term contract and this is a business. Lavar should do solely what is best for him because this might be his last contract.

You are whatever the media collectively says you are, and despite how we as Redskins fans feel about Lavar, the media has never felt like Lavar was as good as we say. The media has a louder voice than us so their voice is whats reaching other teams which leads to the myth that Lavar simply isn't worth that kind of money, he can be worth it if he's playing in the right kind of defense, one that will allow him to freelance, and of course GW's defense requires you to be in a certain place at a certain time, and only in that place.

i think a lot of people have differing opinions about the lavar situation. he is clearly a great LB and those who are happy he is gone are just telling themselves that he is not as good as people say. but the facts don't lie, if he was really expendable, then how come we havent found a replacement yet?

I am hearing the Giants name again. :doh:

Arrington needs to know that if he goes to the AFC then skins fans will still root for him. ( I would even buy his jersey) But if he goes to another team in the NFC East, most of us will be rooting for him to fall flat on his face.

Do the right thing LA, you have plenty of dough.

I wish Lavar the best.......just because he never reached his potential here (worthy of a top first round pick) doesn't mean that he won't blossom in the right system. He will get paid.......either now or after he shows himself on the field.

Off the field......I don't think you can meet a nicer guy. I ran into him at the bar in Morton's and he took a LONG time to chat with my wife and I. I have seen him in Red Hot and Blue right near his house in Annapolis as well and he remembered my wife from Morton's.....

i think a lot of people have differing opinions about the lavar situation. he is clearly a great LB and those who are happy he is gone are just telling themselves that he is not as good as people say. but the facts don't lie, if he was really expendable, then how come we havent found a replacement yet?

:notworthy :applause:

- Although the reports concerning Arrington and the Jaguars were relatively positive, the two sides were still off on money by more than a small margin. I heard that they offered him between $4 million-$5.5 million per year with an $8 million signing bonus, which is a better offer than the Giants are reportedly putting on the table.

- The Giants offer certainly will compete with the Jaguars, as I am under the impression that they have put around $3.5-$4 million in their offer to Arrington.

- I think that there is one more obstacle standing in between the Giants and Arrington, and that is the Miami Dolphins. I was told that he flew from Jacksonville to Miami last night to give the Dolphins an opportunity to up their offer one last time.

- I believe that Arrington is demanding more money from the Florida teams than the Giants, showing his passion to play in NY. What I mean by that is simply….if Miami nor Jacksonville meet his demand for money, he will shut the door on them and play for less money as a part of the Giants.

Archived