Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why do so many illegal immigrants believe....

FlyinO

Do you ever feel, DjTj, like you're just wasting your breath?

:laugh: I think I would go insane if I had to do this out loud instead of typing it. It definitely sucks when I spend a lot of time explaining something, and the next poster comes in and posts in complete ignorance...

However, this is definitely one of my pet issues, and it's actually one where my views are a little bit uncertain - I used to be pretty anti-guest worker, but now I think I support it ... and there are so many little issues in immigration law so you can always learn more.

I guess I've been posting heavily in the immigration threads because I really want to find out exactly where I stand. I put words down and see if they really fit with my beliefs - since it's such a complicated issue it actually takes a lot of time. I also happen to be taking a class in this right now, and I'm actually working peripherally on a real case, so I'm somewhat academically invested in this as well.

This issue is also fun because it doesn't divide exactly along liberal/conservative lines. There is an uber-conservative isolationist position and there is an uber-liberal open borders position, but everyone else seems to fall on weird parts of the spectrum based on the free market, human rights, or in many cases, personal experience.

It's a challenge to try to poke and prod at peoples' views and maybe learn what the best way is to persuade people ... that's actually what I like about the Tailgate in general I suppose.

:laugh: I think I would go insane if I had to do this out loud instead of typing it. It definitely sucks when I spend a lot of time explaining something, and the next poster comes in and posts in complete ignorance...

However, this is definitely one of my pet issues, and it's actually one where my views are a little bit uncertain - I used to be pretty anti-guest worker, but now I think I support it ... and there are so many little issues in immigration law so you can always learn more.

I guess I've been posting heavily in the immigration threads because I really want to find out exactly where I stand. I put words down and see if they really fit with my beliefs - since it's such a complicated issue it actually takes a lot of time. I also happen to be taking a class in this right now, and I'm actually working peripherally on a real case, so I'm somewhat academically invested in this as well.

This issue is also fun because it doesn't divide exactly along liberal/conservative lines. There is an uber-conservative isolationist position and there is an uber-liberal open borders position, but everyone else seems to fall on weird parts of the spectrum based on the free market, human rights, or in many cases, personal experience.

It's a challenge to try to poke and prod at peoples' views and maybe learn what the best way is to persuade people ... that's actually what I like about the Tailgate in general I suppose.

Thanks for enlightening me on several issues. It's amazing how if you take the time to read peoples post's just how much you can learn. Even if you don't agree with someone by no means should you disrespect them. There's been a lot of this in the Tailgate lately. Again thanks for delivering the facts so that I too can make a more informed decision on where I stand.

Archived