Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Expert Picks-- SportsLine's NFL staff picks

Blondie

SportsLine's NFL staff picks against the spread on every game each week.

Week 2 Picks

Monday, September 16, 2002

Eagles -3

at Redskins

Glazer--- Harmon--- Maselli --- Prisco--- Tenn

Redskins- Eagles- Redskins - Redskins- Redskins

Maybe this was already posted. If so, please consider this post as casual very pleasant reading.

Blondie

I am not surprised one bit. I am surprised the Redskins are underdogs. We have the better talent and team. Besides, the main thing that struck me this week is how calm and confident Art has been. As we all know, Art is the real expert on the Redskins. Hail to the Skins!

I took off work on Monday and since the media likes declaring holidays.... I declare Monday a national holiday for all Redskin fans. It will be a day to remember! Spurrier is bringing in a new era in the world's most powerful city! The Redskins are going to make a big statement and make all of the so-called experts that have bashed Spurrier look ridiculous.

Easy there Hoosier.

While I'm confident, and have that comforting calm about this game that comes, really, only once or so every year, if we're lucky, I haven't signed off yet officially on that feeling, citing lingering Norvitis. But, there's another reason.

I feel guilty as a fan feeling this way. There may well be something wrong with me in this case that is different than previous times where that feeling has blessed us with victory, and yes, that feeling was the reason we won :). Now, I feel like, "Sheesh, am I in the tank for Spurrier or what." I'm still citing lingering Norvitis, and a loss here is certainly something that can be intellectually considered.

But, for whatever reason, I can't work up any worry over this game, and that is a rare gift to have when the feeling comes :).

Originally posted by Art

Easy there Hoosier.

While I'm confident, and have that comforting calm about this game that comes, really, only once or so every year, if we're lucky, I haven't signed off yet officially on that feeling, citing lingering Norvitis. But, there's another reason.

I feel guilty as a fan feeling this way. There may well be something wrong with me in this case that is different than previous times where that feeling has blessed us with victory, and yes, that feeling was the reason we won :). Now, I feel like, "Sheesh, am I in the tank for Spurrier or what." I'm still citing lingering Norvitis, and a loss here is certainly something that can be intellectually considered.

But, for whatever reason, I can't work up any worry over this game, and that is a rare gift to have when the feeling comes :).

I have the same feeling, but in a different way. The real worry sets in when I realize, "hey, we could LOSE this game." I guess that happens every week, but it's the ONLY source of worry for me, thusfar at least.

When I think about the Eagles chances for this game from an Eagles fan perspective. I see 3 things that would give me some confidence.

1) If it is a close game going into the 4th quarter, the eagles have a better kicker.

2) The Redskins have never seemed to fare well vs. a little fast scatback type running back. Westbrook from Temple gives them that potential and he is a young rookie we have never seen play.

3) The last time the Eagles "D" lined up vs. Matthews he looked like a deer in the headlights.

As a redskin fan I can counter 2 and 3 in my mind and I am not really worried about them. Number 1 however is a fact that I can't counter, and to think Aker could have been a Redskin makes me a little nauseous.

Sag:

I have a problem with your claim. Cite it here where Joey T picked the eaglits over the Redskins:doh:

Hoosier:

I learned a while back, if I HAVE to make a choice, I will opt to take off the day AFTER an event, whether it be a birthday, anniversary, big game or which ever great event occurs during the course of the year.

It gives one time to refresh & replinish after the fact:cheers: :pint: :laugh:

what does Theismann know? Wasn't he the guy that thought the Skins were going to go the SB in 2000 after they beat Tampa and started 4-2?

Ex-Redskins are all over the place on this team.

Riggins is high on Spurrier. Mark May thinks the team is awful. Doc Walker thinks they are on the rise but not quite there yet. Jurgensen just loves the team each year and refuses to pick against them :)

The difference between this year's team and those under Norv is that Spurrier goes into each game refusing to believe he can't find a way to get his team the 'W'. Even if they lose he thinks there is a way they could have won.

Turner didn't believe in the team or in himself. The Redskins went into Monday Nights and other high pressure games flat and without much emotion and they usually made the critical mistake when the contest was on the line.

I would imagine that Spurrier is going to pull out some of the stops to get the crowd into the game early and put pressure on the Eagles to gamble on the road to make big plays downfield.

That plays into the hands of the Redskins corners who have a talent edge on the Eagles receivers :)

the fact remains the Eagles don't have a prime back to attack a good defense with and I would always settle for a contest where the opponent has a rookie out there in the glare of the spotlight trying to make good than facing a veteran back like a Curtis Martin or Marshall Faulk that is going to give you an incredible battle for 60 minutes and who won't make the killer mistake or turnover :D

Archived