Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Opinion needed : ( Rotator cuff training )

Coach Williams

Which free agent linbacker should we sign?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Which free agent linbacker should we sign?

• Na'il Diggs
    • Nate Wayne
    • Jamie Winborn
    • Junior Seau
    • Jamie Sharper
    • Brandon Short
    • Keith Adams
    • Chris Claiborne
    • Tommy Polley
    • Nick Greisen

We are having a discussion at work however I can't seem to cite an internet source proving my view.

Basically the question is:

"Should overhand throwing athletes bench press?"

Here is what I know for fact yet my word even though I am quoting pro's isn't good enough.....

Quarterbacks & pitches should NOT do any lift requiring their R.C. to support the lift (ex: bench or Milt. press ) They need to use cables, pushups, Medicine balls ,ect.....for their chest strengthening ......

Qb's & pitchers should never so Wide Grip pullup's either......this opens the cuff and strains it which slowly damages it over time

I can find TONS of sources on why those lifts are bad for you and I know 4 or 5 fellow coaches who say Qb's who Bench will not last nearly as long and are idiots. ( Hence why they aren't required to bench in the nfl )

I just can't find a direct study saying over-hand QB's and pitchers shouldn't Bench.....

SO without a study who determined this?.....while it is common sense I can't find a link?

Long story longer.....Any links?..... :)

Yes actually it does help.....

according to these Md's they say bench press, dips, milt press is ok in general however you can't place you elbows behind you or beneth you at anytime.....

I agree......they didn't say anywhere that it would be harmful for a Quarterback though....

What I would like is for someone with an MD or some other fancy title to say "YES it is ok for over hand throwers to lift but only to stay in shape NOT to strength or power train.".......

However my buddies who have all these titles are strickly against each of these lifts....

Thx bro....

How bout this???? Ever since my rotator cuff surgery in '93 I cant bench worth a :pooh: without pain.. :whoknows:

That sux....

What happens when you do:

Dumbell Flys

Regular push ups

Cable flys

These are the rotator cup friendly lifts because they allow the scapula to roll back

Basically I SOMETIMES will get a sharp pain and then subsequently have major weakness in the general area for a short period of time (day or two) Its forced me to set limits to certain exercises like bench, incline bench, shoulder press, pull downs. Cant throw for :pooh: anymore either.

If I could take back that last mogul run in January of 93 I would. :D

Basically I SOMETIMES will get a sharp pain and then subsequently have major weakness in the general area for a short period of time (day or two) Its forced me to set limits to certain exercises like bench, incline bench, shoulder press, pull downs. Cant throw for :pooh: anymore either.

If I could take back that last mogul run in January of 93 I would. :D

Unfortunately 1000's of highschool qb's are setting themselves up for this because their coaches don't like being told they're wrong......sad.....

My old coach was in the NFL as a punt returner yet he had us doing squats M_W_F.....completely a moron 20/20 hindsight.....

The other thought, not related to injury, but more related to maintaining touch, is that people who do overhand throwing often train with a heavy ball to increase strength without injury risk, and a lighter ball for co-ordination.

I remember basketball players (I know it's a different throwing motion) limiting their upper body work during the season as they felt 'heavy armed' when they were lifting a lot.

I hurt mine skiing originally.. tore it again mountain biking a couple of years later. I hate the fact that there are so many opinions on how to rehab the same injuries and even more on how to avoid injury like what you're talking about.

Take care of it now cause once it goes it will never be quite the same. :cheers:

Given that Frank Jobe is an expert on rotator cuff injuries, you might find other material by googling him. You might also be surprised how well such people might even respond to an e-mail or letter asking for guidance.

My wife, who coaches track, got a great response when she wrote to a guru on active stretching.

Given that Frank Jobe is an expert on rotator cuff injuries, you might find other material by googling him. You might also be surprised how well such people might even respond to an e-mail or letter asking for guidance.

My wife, who coaches track, got a great response when she wrote to a guru on active stretching.

good call I'll search the page.....

Anyone else?

Archived