Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mean or justified

gbear

O our back yard is surrounded by a 6 ft fence. It's one of the reasons we bought the house, so that we couldlet our dogs outside with no fear of them running away. All of our neighbors have the same fence (put in by the ex-owner of our house. They put the fence in place in large part because they didn't want people from the townhouses behind our house constantly walking through our yard (some of the houses got broken into as well).

Well last week, a few teenagers started hopping the fence as the short cut through our neighberhood. They have been leaving the gates open too. After being startled yesterday seeing a strange man in our back yard and me in the basement, my wife decided to let the dogs out. They chased the guy right back over the fence. Of course he cursed at her as he ran away.

See to my mind, letting the dogs out is absolutely the correct thing to do. He jumped over and squashed one of the plants. I don't want people putting their entire weight on our fence. What's more, I don't want strangers in a position to come look through our windows. If they set our dogs off, and are on our property, I don't feel much remorce turnng the dogs out on them. If he comes back, I'll do it again. The dogs pick up on my wife and my attitude towards visitors, and they knew to go right after this guy, but their friendly towards people we bring into the house and hug.

Is it wrong to set the dogs to anyone jumping the fence? Any reason not to? In truth, if I'm home, I'm going out there with them to tell whoever it is not to tresspass. I know the fence makes them walk about another two miles (they're coming from another neighberhoodthat backs into ours). Mean?

It's YOUR yard, pal. Justified indeed.

And just for the record, letting the dogs out is always better than plan B. I had a bunch of punk teenagers cuss my wife out at our old house once upon a time (for looking out the window during a heroin deal). The fact that I didn't go to jail is a minor miracle.

The way things work nowadays be sure if the dogs bite someone that you say you were just letting them out to go to the bathroom, you had NO IDEA there were people trespassing in your yard, and that you feel just horrible your dog bit him.

I could see you being sued for your dogs hurting someone trespassing on your property.

The way things work nowadays be sure if the dogs bite someone that you say you were just letting them out to go to the bathroom, you had NO IDEA there were people trespassing in your yard, and that you feel just horrible your dog bit him.

I could see you being sued for your dogs hurting someone trespassing on your property.

This is a good point...some states also have a zero tolerance policy for dogs that bite people...they may put them down. :whoknows:

Definitely buy a "No Trespassing" sign and a "Beware of Dogs" sign...that should keep a good majority of people out.

So many people have absolutely NO respect for the property of others.

Find out if you can file trespassing charges on the person.

Your property is enclosed. You should not have anyone on your property without your permission.

Be very careful however, that the jerk does not throw something over your fence into your yard that your dogs can find that might harm them.

Those type of people will do that sort of thing.

Blondie

I'd hang some "No Trespassing" and "Beware of Dog" signs. I don't think its mean.

Mean is what I roomie did when we lived in Baltimore. We lived in a townhouse that connected to another series of units, with a black iron fence inbetween sets. Kids would climb up and over every day, which made banging sound, and this happened at all hours. So he took some used motor oil and slathered it all over the bars. That taught them when they got covered in grease.

completely justified, your protecting your property and your family, plus you have a fence, if you put up a beware of dog or private property sign and he sues, you have an ironclad lawsuit, you wont loose.

its similar to the gun laws in virginia, you can shoot someone breaking into your house as long as they are facing you coming into the house and you wont be prosocuted (forensics can tell that sort of thing).

You see, this is a good time for my dog crap trebuchet ;) Set up a trip wire, and let the trebuchet slig crap at him as he streaks across the yard :laugh:
funny truth is if that were a real contraption and he sued him for it, the other man would win the lawsuit, it is illegal to booby trap any part of your property:doh: criminals breaking into booby traped houses have always won lawsuits of this kind, never mention the fact they were breaking and entering, probably with weapons and intention to harm:doh:

but that is an idea;) ive been thinking of some kind of device like tha for people who dont clean up after their dogs in public:laugh:

Archived