Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins NON-mistakes in draft?

NewCliche21

I know, I know, Heath Shuler. I know, I know, Michael Westbrook. I know, I know, 50/50. Okay, I get it!

But after reading a recent article about Kellen Winslow, and realizing that we got Sean Taylor instead (And yes I realize the draft order, but I'm sure that we would've taken him anyway), I think we actually got one right!

What are other examples of the Redskins somehow NOT picking the bust? Carlos > Pacman, even though I think the latter was chosen first. Anyone else?

In order for this to work you can't just pick a player that we got in the draft that turned out well. You have to pick a player that we took INSTEAD of someone else who was hyped and then turned out to be a bust, like the Colts taking Manning instead of Leaf.

Some recommendations for this thread. I think you should limit comparisons to those the Redskins could draft at the time of their pick (ie since Pacman wasn't available you can't say the Redskins passed him up for Rogers); Second examples of players picked just last year (Pac and Rogers) probably isn't an accurate assessment(ie Rod Gardener was the best WR from the 1st round, through the first year). First round picks that were not mistakes - either Arrington or Samuels instead or Warrick, Bailey instead of McCallister.

Some recommendations for this thread. I think you should limit comparisons to those the Redskins could draft at the time of their pick (ie since Pacman wasn't available you can't say the Redskins passed him up for Rogers); Second examples of players picked just last year (Pac and Rogers) probably isn't an accurate assessment(ie Rod Gardener was the best WR from the 1st round, through the first year). First round picks that were not mistakes - either Arrington or Samuels instead or Warrick, Bailey instead of McCallister.

Eh, as you see fit. I kinda had the idea in my head better than I had it in text. The last part is what I think I meant the most . . . I think.

Chris Samuels in 1999 though I think Jansen is the better Tackle, Samuels has been a perennial pro-Bowler. That was when we took Dikta and the Saints to the cleaners. I'm glad we didn't take ganjaman with the pick, although the Ricky/Pot humour would have been priceless

Chris Samuels in 1999 though I think Jansen is the better Tackle, Samuels has been a perennial pro-Bowler. That was when we took Dikta and the Saints to the cleaners. I'm glad we didn't take ganjaman with the pick, although the Ricky/Pot humour would have been priceless

Samuels was drafted in 2000, Jansen was drafted in 1999. Samuels was the number 3 overall pick, Jansen was a 2nd rounder.

the Redskins have made few mistakes at the top of the draft order, excepting Taylor Jacobs who clearly doesn't have NFL skills.

the problem has been holding onto enough middle and late round draft choices to be able to build decent depth.

the equalizer the first time around for Gibbs and increasingly so in the second go-around is the ability of the team find and use street free agents and younger vets off waivers and have them become contributors.

Jansen must be the best second round pick we've had in a long time. He was taken after Petitgout (sp?), L. J. shelton, stitchcomb, and the massive Aaron Gibson.

Stephen Davis was a good pick in the fourth round, he must have been the 10th running back taken.

sean taylor over kellen winslow, carlos rogers over mike williams, trading a 3rd and a 2nd in the following year to move up in the 3rd to pick cooley, hopefully jason campbell

Yeah I was going to mention the trade to get the pick for cooley too. I'm glad we did that.

I remember we passed on Alex Brown a few times and that was Spurrier passing on a Florida guy. We wound up taking Cliff Russell or Ladell Betts instead. Betts insn't bad but we took Cliff Russell over Alex Brown of the Bears. How good would Brown look in a Redskins uniform?

We effectively traded the 26th pick this year for JC last year right?

That's the way I understand it. That's why I can't figgure out why everyone thinks we don't have a 1st rounder....we just used it a year early?!?:rolleyes:

What's wrong with trading this years for the rights to a guy you want last year? What QB would be available at 26 this year that Gibbs would like better? Plus JC has a year of clipboard, coaching, watching, practicing and learning under his belt...:)

Also I live around the Broncos media , and they've had thier share of busts too. You go through any teams history and you'll find bust after bust (and I ain't talkin bout the cheerleaders). Number 1's are great if you want a loosing season to preceed it. I'd rather see late 1st rounders myself, that means the Skins went to the playoffs:D I just wish for more 2 & 3 round picks.

Archived