Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Oh my god...Seahawks offer to Burleson 7yrs 49mil 5.25 S.B.

fdarugar

Similar to Hutchinsons contract, I guess...was this out of spite for the Vikes...

I usually hate the idea of teams overspending but this is crazy, for Burleson?

Hawks sign Burleson to offer sheet

The Seahawks signed Vikings WR Nate Burleson to an offer sheet today, giving Minnesota seven days to match or lose the three-year veteran to Seattle.

Get this (and I am not making this up): The offer is a seven-year, $49 million deal with $5.25 million guaranteed and two hilarious poison pills guaranteeing the entire $49 million if he plays a certain number of games in the State of Minnesota, or if his average-per-year exceeds the average of the highest-paid running back on the team (I need to confirm the specifics on the second poison pill, but you get the point: The Seahawks have a running back who averages more money per year, while the Vikings do not).

The poison pills are obviously direct retribution for the contract Minnesota used to sign LG Steve Hutchinson from the Seahawks. More than anything, it appears as though the Seahawks are making a point about just how ludicrous these poison-pill clauses can be. Now we'll see if the league and its players address the issue. Just on principle, it's hard to imagine the Vikings contesting these clauses after using a similar one with Hutchinson.

Obviously this deal will be reworked after a few years, but they did what they had to do to make this look like the seven-year, $49 million offer the Vikings made to Hutchinson. I hope to have more on the financial breakdown, but like I said, the fact that $5.25 million is guaranteed tells you this is, in reality, a four-year deal dressed up as a bigger package to make a point.

If Minnesota does not match the Seahawks' offer, the Vikings would receive Seattle's third-round choice in the upcoming draft. It's a low third-round pick given that Seattle advanced to the Super Bowl last season, but the pick would still give the Vikings ammunition should they try to trade up the draft board.

The timing of the offer sheet is perhaps a little surprising given that NFL teams have until April 21 to make offers to restricted free agents, and this is a league that sometimes needs a deadline to get things done. But Seattle's interest in Burleson has been well established since the team visited with him last week at Seahawks headquarters. Seattle also might be looking to move proactively after suffering some free-agent losses, notably Hutchinson and WR Joe Jurevicius. The team also fell short in a recent attempt to acquire DE John Abraham from the Jets.

Burleson, who turns 25 in August, caught 68 passes for 1,006 yards and nine touchdowns in 2004. His numbers fell to 30-328-1 last season as injuries limited him to nine games. The Vikings also suffered through a disappointing season headlined by that most classy of forays into nautical naughtiness on the waters of Lake Minnetonka.

Seattle views Burleson, 6-0 and 192 pounds, as possessing needed play-making ability. The team would presumably be looking to pair Burleson with WR Darrell Jackson, allowing WR Bobby Engram to retake his former position as the third receiver. This would leave WR D.J. Hackett and WR Peter Warrick fighting for time as the fourth receiver, with WR Alex Bannister trying to return from a broken clavicle.

Is Burleson the answer for Seattle? Depends on the question. Skeptics will point out that his lone 1,000-yard season came with WR Randy Moss on the other side of the field. Believers will note that Burleson is a young player with Seattle roots (O'Dea High) and good stats when healthy.

The Vikings have not been particularly aggressive in trying to sign Burleson for the long term. They have a new staff and they also have WR Koren Robinson, the player Seattle envisioned in its lineup all along. Without the off-field issues that ruined Robinson's career in Seattle, the Seahawks wouldn't be in the market for a young prospect such as Burleson.

For a more detailed look at the restricted market, check out this story by ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli, and check out the chart at the bottom of this NFL.com story to see how frequently RFAs change teams.

http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/

Damned Snyder....

I thought I'd throw that in...just because he's the reason salaries have gone through ther roof...

j/k

I think this is great...guys with too much money, playing childish games...really cute.

Well, the only thing I can think, which was also mentioned in the article, is the last 3 years covers about 30 million of the contract. :laugh:

He will definately be on another team by then with another contract, so in essence his deal is 4 years 19 mil but Jabar Gaffney put up better numbers in 05, no offense.

He was a complete bust last year!

I think maybe theyre trying to get revenge for Hutchinson, but this isnt gonna do anything, they are just hurting themselves more, Burleson probably signed this offer sheet so quick, damn, one of luckiest guys in the NFL

Hahaha Vikings Payback's a....Well it's not any fun:

Seahawks | Burleson offer sheet details

Fri, 24 Mar 2006 15:35:55 -0800

Updating a previous report, Mike Sando, of the Tacoma News Tribune, reports the Seattle Seahawks' offer sheet to Minnesota Vikings WR Nate Burleson is a seven-year, $49 million deal with $5.25 million guaranteed. The deal also includes two poison pills guaranteeing the entire $49 million if he plays a certain number of games in the state of Minnesota, or if his average-per-year exceeds the average of the highest-paid running back on the team. The pills are in direct retribution for the contract the Vikings used to sign former Seahawks OLG Steve Hutchinson.

The key (for Seattle, at least) is that only $5.25M is guaranteed, and the offer is heavily loaded at the back end. There's no way the Seahawks intend to pay him $49M, and Nate knows this.

The Vikes opened a pandora's box when they did the Hutch deal, and one of the unintended consequences is this sort of thing. It's not the way Seattle would prefer to conduct business, but this was just to good of an opportunity to both take a swipe at Minnesota, and to shine a spotlight on the NFL and the loophole the NFL allowed.

The Vikes opened a pandora's box when they did the Hutch deal, and one of the unintended consequences is this sort of thing. It's not the way Seattle would prefer to conduct business, but this was just to good of an opportunity to both take a swipe at Minnesota, and to shine a spotlight on the NFL and the loophole the NFL allowed.

And people think only Dan Snyder plays games with the NFL. As you can see... it's done around the entire NFL and against some of the league's antiquated rules.

someone explain to me what the poison pills were in the hutchinson deal that would result in the seahawks pulling this move?

I'm not positive but I think if Hutchinson wasn't the highest paid lineman on the team than 50 mil of his contract became guaranteed. In Minnesota he will be the highest paid lineman but in Seattle he would not have been.

This "games played in Minnesota" deal in Burleson's contract is ridiculous.

someone explain to me what the poison pills were in the hutchinson deal that would result in the seahawks pulling this move?

Minny offered a similar contract, 7-years for 49 million, but it would become 100% guaranteed if Hutch was not the highest paid lineman on the team. Walter Jones would have been making more than Hutch in Seattle, essentially meaning the Hawks would have to pay him the entire contract :yikes:.

BTW -- search function is your friend. ;)

The Vikings had a clause in thier offer that would make the entire $49M guaranteed if he was not the highest paid O lineman in the first year of the contract.

Walter Jones has a higher salary (about $7.5M per year average). He and the Seahawks restructured his contract so that the Hawks could sign hutch, but the special-needs master ruled that it didn't matter because the clause depended on the date Hutch signed the Vikings offer, not the date Seattle would match the offer.

This offer is intended to take a poke at the Vikings while highlighting the problem of these "anything goes" poison pills that the NFL and special-needs master has allowed. People like JRockster are high on bad crack :silly: if they think the Seahawks think they are hurting the Vikings with this.

Except that Hutchinson was one of the top 5 players at his position, while Burleson doesn't even crack the top 30. Yeah, I'm sure the Vikings are furious right now! :laugh:

True...but it's not like they've got any great receivers on the roster either. Williamson wasn't great last year, and Robinson is nice but is better on STs. I think it's actually a smart move that leaves the Vikings without one of their best offensive players.

True...but it's not like they've got any great receivers on the roster either. Williamson wasn't great last year, and Robinson is nice but is better on STs. I think it's actually a smart move that leaves the Vikings without one of their best offensive players.

Remember how many people wanted us to draft Williamson last year? Of course it is yet to be seen how the career of Williamson pans out compared to Rogers and Campbell.

It's WAY WAY WAY too early to pass judgment on Williamson. Come again in another 2 years.

Archived