Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

High Cholesterol! Updated, Good News, How do you lower it?

DeanCollins

Went to the doctor for the physical, hadn't had one in a couple years.

results back from the blood test were all good except for the cholesterol levels. Total score 263. Now before we jump to conclusions, my diet is already pretty low in cholesterol. I don't eat red meat often. I've been eating only egg whites for years, fairly light on the dairy. So I could cut out cheese and milk altogether, only other weakness is french fries, blue cheese salad dressing while dinning out occasionaly. Doctor believes that it has mostly to do with family history.

So, I was hoping to get some suggestions on natural ways to lower it, foods to eat (like oatmeal), foods to avoid (maybe some cause your liver to produce it?) etc..... I don't want to take drugs because of the inherant liver damage. thanks in advance for advice :) Help!

Maybe if you go to your cholesteral with an offer of mutual peace and understanding you can persuade it not to continue to harm you.

Sorry, had to after what you did to AFC in the flowers thread. :) No hard feelings!

Seriously, lots of oatmeal and get rid of the cheese. Cardiovascular exercise is best though.

In the number, what was the mix between good and bad cholesterol? (HDL-C and LDL-C)?

Further cutting out fried food, and saturated fats would help a little. Oatmeal too as you mention. http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3004838 is a great place to start.

Exercise is a good way, as it not only strengthens the heart but also raises HDL Cholesterol. To raise good cholesterol I believe it has to be reasonably intense, i.e. exceeding 75% of max heart rate. Steady running (or similar effort) rather than walking at least three times per week.

I had a reading of 240 a few years ago. I was eating a lot of chinese food, and worse it was mostly shrimp chow mein. When I cut way back on shrimp, voila. My next reading 2 months later was just under 200.

Avoid abundance of shrimp (and i think other shell fish but won't swear to it). I never knew how much of a difference they can make. I was eating shrimp chowmein a few times (3-4) a week. Eat oatmeal, preferable not instant as that is high in salt. Avoid eating an abundance of red meats.

Sorry, that's all I remember. Oh and exercise to get the good cholesterol number up.

Maybe if you go to your cholesteral with an offer of mutual peace and understanding you can persuade it not to continue to harm you.

Sorry, had to after what you did to AFC in the flowers thread. :) No hard feelings!

Seriously, lots of oatmeal and get rid of the cheese. Cardiovascular exercise is best though.

Thanks, I reading that saturated fat has more influence on the number

In the number, what was the mix between good and bad cholesterol? (HDL-C and LDL-C)?

Further cutting out fried food, and saturated fats would help a little. Oatmeal too as you mention. http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3004838 is a great place to start.

Exercise is a good way, as it not only strengthens the heart but also raises HDL Cholesterol. To raise good cholesterol I believe it has to be reasonably intense, i.e. exceeding 75% of max heart rate. Steady running (or similar effort) rather than walking at least three times per week.

HDL was 39 and LDL was 170 so not good all the way around

Every year, I had high cholesterol. I started dating a new girl, my butter intake went up, and last time I got it checked, about 1 month ago, it was normal. :D

So, my suggestion, cut out stress, and eat lots of butter :D .

( :doh: j/k that's a bad idea...exercise does it everytime)

Every year, I had high cholesterol. I started dating a new girl, my butter intake went up, and last time I got it checked, about 1 month ago, it was normal. :D

So, my suggestion, cut out stress, and eat lots of butter :D .

( :doh: j/k that's a bad idea...exercise does it everytime)

Actually your onto something here. Real natural butter is WAY better for you than margarine which is nothing but thickened vegetable oil, which is linked to cancer.

a few years ago my doctor looked at my cholestoral reading, took her glasses off, then looked at me, then looked at the reading again, she pretty much couldn't belive how high it was.

I did the atkins diet, and in a month I cut my cholestoral level in half. When I went back for a follow up I was also 25 pounds lighter. I don't follow the atkins now, but because of the diet I totally cut out soda and juice, and started drinking a lot less beer and more liquor.

The thing is, I followed the diet to a T. I didn't cheat, I measured everthing. It was hard, but it was so worth it.

:2cents:

I just radicaly lowerd mine. Excersise, diet and drugs. I also lost 25 pounds. :D

Excersise goes a long way, I've been walking, I eat fruit for lunch whenever posible... Hmmm what else... Oh yeah, my doctor has me doing 500mgs of Niacin every night to raise my good cholesterol. Not sure if that's for you though, I had lowered my over all levels so much I may have induced my own need for more of the good kind.

I just radicaly lowerd mine. Excersise, diet and drugs. I also lost 25 pounds. :D

Excersise goes a long way, I've been walking, I eat fruit for lunch whenever posible... Hmmm what else... Oh yeah, my doctor has me doing 500mgs of Niacin every night to raise my good cholesterol. Not sure if that's for you though, I had lowered my over all levels so much I may have induced my own need for more of the good kind.

thanks again all, I got some good advice to get this number down

Start eating lots of sushi and other Japanese food. The summer I discovered sushi and ate it practically every day, my cholesterol level was 144. And the HDL was high and the LDL was low as was my sugar. Even when I gained some weight after a back injury some years ago it was still only in the 150s - it's even lower now since I'm back at my old weight. I actually think it must be partially hereditary.

So get out your chopsticks and suck down that fish and seaweed salad. And some Kirin light.

An easy, effective way to bring it down is to buy some flax seed and a coffee grinder. You can find the flax seed at any health food/general nutrition store. Grind up a couple tablespoons and mix it with some skim milk every morning (or sprinkle it over your oatmeal or yogurt -whatever. I guarantee you your cholesterol will come down if you follow that routine for a couple months.

Archived