Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Softball Homerun derby gone wrong...

halter91

I plugged a pitcher on the knee cap once...it was loud as hell. *POP* He was fine, but he had to leave the game.

How long have you been in Hawaii? Was that you?

That did happen to me when I was in Hawaii. Some friends and I were playing homerun derby and some guy in his teens came along and asked to play, we said sure. I pitched to him and on the 3rd or 4th pitch, POW! Right in the kneecap. I fell hard to the ground and I was in intense pain for a few days. I still cringe at the thought of that.

Story please...

Playing Legion ball for the first year, we played in a tournament at Byrd Stadium. I came on to close a game out and the first pitch I threw was sent screaming back to me. Tried to get the glove up but wasn't quick enough. Shattered my nose. I picked the ball up and threw the guy out at first and then collapsed on the mound. I had 2 black eyes for a month and a half. My first game back? First pitch I threw was another comebacker. Caught that one though. I was always told that hitting a ball back up the middle like that was one of the toughest things to do yet I seemed to be a freaking magnet on the mound.

I used to run baseball clinics and private lessons...I took a baseball off the forehead less than 10 ft from the batter...it hurt!

Really, this isnt the pitchers fault. This is a slow pitch softball HR derby, meaning, no need to hit the ball back up the box. The batter is completely at fault.

The ball will always find you if you're not paying attention.

It'll find you even if you are. Played baseball and softball for over 25 years and man, sometimes you can be ready for that ball to come right at you and still take one that causes no small amount of pain. I rotated between pitcher and 3rd base for several years and can remember getting a few shin shots at the corner. I also mastered the pitch and full retreat, ( as in fast), when pitching that big round ball. Definately a few times where I went :whew: that it was slow pitch. :D

Edit. As for the comments made by the guy filming it, sounded more like gallows humor to me. And if I heard correctly, he stated near the end, " He's down for the count and here I am the ____ loser filming it". I'd bet good money his comments were gallows humor. One way of dealing with a stressful situation.

Archived