Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Compensatory Picks

bccdc

For you draft-wonks out there: Anyone know whether the skins will receive any compensatory picks this year for the loss of Pierce, Smoot, Franz (any others FA lost)? This is around the time when the compensatory picks are announced and I don't have a clue as to the formula used by the NFL powers that be to determine them.

I am huge fan of the draft (despite the skins draft traditionally being held in Feb/March during FA) and would love to see us pick up a 3rd or 4th.

For you draft-wonks out there: Anyone know whether the skins will receive any compensatory picks this year for the loss of Pierce, Smoot, Franz (any others FA lost)? This is around the time when the compensatory picks are announced and I don't have a clue as to the formula used by the NFL powers that be to determine them.

I am huge fan of the draft (despite the skins draft traditionally being held in Feb/March during FA) and would love to see us pick up a 3rd or 4th.

We signed Rabach, Holdman and Patten. I doubt we're going to get anything... and if we did... you can expect a 6th at best.

i think we are gonna get more than you guys are suggesting. the guys we signed were not given near the amount of money that the two guys we lost received. i think that plays a role in the formula. i dont know what we are gonna get, but i dont think a 3rd or 4th is out of the question.

also, i dont think you can get a compensatory pick in the sixth or seventh rounds. i dont think they give them out. its only 3, 4 and 5, if i recall. i could be totally wrong, but i think that's how it goes

i think we are gonna get more than you guys are suggesting. the guys we signed were not given near the amount of money that the two guys we lost received. i think that plays a role in the formula. i dont know what we are gonna get, but i dont think a 3rd or 4th is out of the question.

also, i dont think you can get a compensatory pick in the sixth or seventh rounds. i dont think they give them out. its only 3, 4 and 5, if i recall. i could be totally wrong, but i think that's how it goes

comps are given in rounds 3 through 7

So the formula takes into account who we signed as FA? Oh well, I guess my hope for a early day 2 pick is now officially dead.

You're right jwebstr1, I am embarrassed that I included Todd Franz in this post (although I think he still is on the packers roster...)

I believe to get compensation you have to lose players, that your team drafted, to free agency. Pierce was undrafted so I dont think we would get anything for him. Smoot maybe, but I think since we signed other FAs that year we wouldnt get any. Since LaVar bought out his contract I am not sure what the deal is on that one...but I wouldnt think anything for this draft.

its not about the money, its about performance

Exactly. Smoot missed time to injury and benching.... and Pierce missed time due to injury (nearly the last half of the season).

Rabach played the whole season.... and Patten played about 1/3. So it's a wash.

Compensatory picks are BS... I propose the following changes.

1) High round (3-5) compensatory picks should only go to teams who are blatently unable to attract or re-sign their own free agents. This would apply to teams such as the Cardinals, or Saints who are offering $$$ but getting snubbed by players.

2) Teams in the playoffs the past year cannot receive compensatory picks. If you let a free agent walk and made the playoffs, you don't need any compensation for that "loss". At the very least these teams should only get 6ths or 7th as compensations.

The compensatory system is a sham, and there is no reason for it except the case in 1 where teams cannot attract or get their free agents to stay due to culture.

Basically the salary cap and money take care of everything and it all evens out in the end.

Actually, it's about both.

And it looks like we will only be getting a 7th rounder, based on signing two qualified players (Patten and Rabach) and losing two qualified players (Pierce and Smoot) but having lost more in terms of performance and salary than we gained.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=49112

That is a nice link where AdamJT13's breakdown of the picks is posted. Apparently he has been 80% accurate over the past few years, so I'd say that's a pretty good estimate.

There was a whole article on the Scouts page, but I can't find it for the life of me.

The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents (maximum of four).

Shrouded in mystery, the NFL Management Council has a 'magic formula' for determining these picks that is based somewhat on salary, playing time and post-season honors. No team can receive more than four of the thirty two added selections and the picks are positioned within the third through seventh rounds as dictated by the formula.

Not every free agent lost or signed by a team is covered by this formula.

I want Mr. Irrelevant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest amaprius

We get screwed every year out of comp picks but Philly always gets the most and still signs people like Kearse and TO.....I think the secret formula is if your team is on the council then you get four and if a majority of owners hate your team because of being able to manage the cap better than they do then you get none even if your team has been to the playoffs once in 13 years

For those of you that think that this is some grand conspiracy, it isn't. Compensatory picks are meant to compensate teams that lose more players to FA then they sign.

We traditionally sign a lot of free agents, therefore we don't get compensated with more draft picks.

In order to qualify, it doesn't matter if the player was drafted by your team or not. All that matters is that the player played out their contract and became a free agent that way. Any player who was cut, retired, or released in any way (i.e. injury settlement) does not count. If you sign a player who was cut, retired, or released, I don't believe it counts either.

In addition to number signed and number lost, contract size plays a part too, as does performance and a bunch of other crap. But I believe that number and salary are the two biggest factors. This year we were even in number, we signed 2 and lost 2, but there was a big salary discrepancy so we might get a 7th round pick. 6th is the best we could possibly hope for, but a 7th is most likely.

And for those of you wondering, we won't be getting anything next year because we signed Carter, Randel El, Fauria, and Archuletta who are all qualifying guys and we only lost Royal, Clark and maybe a couple others I can't think of at the moment, and the size of the contracts on the players we signed far outweighs the size of the contracts on the players we lost. (Our cut players don't count as lost FA's so Bowen, Harris, et al. won't be considered)

"Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8314832

Bottomline, is that Pierces and Smoots contracts were very large and both got a lot of playing time and I believe Pierce was named the Giants most valuable defender. Of the FA's we picked up only Rabach was a compensatory FA and his contract did not approach either Smoot's or Pierce's. I expect a comp pick or two and possibly even high ones (3rd or 4th round)

Compensatory picks are BS... I propose the following changes.

1) High round (3-5) compensatory picks should only go to teams who are blatently unable to attract or re-sign their own free agents. This would apply to teams such as the Cardinals, or Saints who are offering $$$ but getting snubbed by players.

I agree with this point, as it would make the most sense to do.

"Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8314832

Bottomline, is that Pierces and Smoots contracts were very large and both got a lot of playing time and I believe Pierce was named the Giants most valuable defender. Of the FA's we picked up only Rabach was a compensatory FA and his contract did not approach either Smoot's or Pierce's. I expect a comp pick or two and possibly even high ones (3rd or 4th round)

Right on, except you forgot Patten.

His inclusion in the equation leaves us with a lousy seventh round pick, since we had a net loss of 0 players, but significant difference in quality added and quality lost.

Archived