Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stats About Al Saunders

skinfan2k

Ya, so i heard that everyone is so excited about all the acquistions we have made thru Free agency. But I have 1 questions for all of u, how does the offense of al saunders affect the qb? Is it a qb-friendly system and does the qb get sacked alot? I mean i dont remember trent green every getting injuired or was that due because of the best o-line in the NFL? I wonder if he can replicate this offense here?

Ya, so i heard that everyone is so excited about all the acquistions we have made thru Free agency. But I have 1 questions for all of u, how does the offense of al saunders affect the qb? Is it a qb-friendly system and does the qb get sacked alot? I mean i dont remember trent green every getting injuired or was that due because of the best o-line in the NFL? I wonder if he can replicate this offense here?

Trent Green's health had a lot to do with the system as well. Saunders system is designed to keep D's off balance and keep them guessing. Run when they're expecting pass, pass when they're expecting run which makes it harder to just pin your ears back and rush the passer. Also, Saunders heavily involves RBs in the passing game as a quick outlet for the QB to get rid of the ball and avoid pressure.

Also, I think it's important to remember that Gibbs and Saunders developed their styles in the same system, one in which protecting the QB is of paramount importance.

Saunders had a slightly better line in KC but he never had one good receiver, not one. Now he has three. You will see a lot of those WR screens and more RB screens next year. his offense is very similar to gibbs'

Yeah, lots of screens, lots of quick RB passes, lots of motion, running out of 4 WR sets, passing out of 1 WR sets all stuff designed to put a hint of doubt in the defenders mind as he prepares to go after the QB. Keep them worrying about the draws and screens and motion so they think twice about taking that wide angle, all out pass rush.

The mastery of Saunders system is quantity ... he runs so many different formations and plays that the defense is always kept guessing. He also is known for not running the same play for at least 4 weeks, so every play he comes up with is hard to prepare for. I am sure that there are a lot of similarities between plays run, but he always seems to have new wrinkles so that the defense can't really key off of a presnap read based on the offensive formation.

Now you add skill players at the skill positions (not something he had in KC aside from RB & TE) and you have stocked him with tremendous weapons to become even more creative. He is to offensive variety what Williams is to defensive variety. We should have a very entertaining year.

Saunders ran his offense in KC through the tight end. He was a two tight end, two receiver, fullback, running back core offense. He ALWAYS wanted an elite receiver. More than that, he's always wanted an H-Back. Devotees to this offensive system love the H-Back. He never could develop a top receiver or H-Back in KC. Here, he's got both, and additional weapons.

Saunders has a reputation of NEVER running the same play twice in a four-week stretch. Vermeil said that was a bit much to him, but, you couldn't argue with the success. The versatility of Randle El is also something he's never had. He'll do some dramatically different things here than in K.C. but it will be done on speed and matchup problems teams can't really match in all cases.

Teams that gave K.C. trouble were those who could match up with Gonzalez. A top safety, like Taylor, could take away Gonzalez, slowing the K.C. offense. Any injury to the left tackle causing Gonzalez to be a blocker also hurt that offense. It was still productive, just not quite so. Here, it'll be harder to identify ONE thing to take away. Mismatches are easier with Randle El in the lineup and the speed of Portis. Teams won't match Randle El with a safety. They will have to match up with a smaller lineup to match our speed.

It'll be fun to watch. But, Brunell has to be sharp like he was much of last year. He did slow as the year went on, but, SOME of that was we altered our approach and became a brute force running team. Then he got hurt against the Giants and was just not very good at all. But, watching games over now you can see how developed he can allow an offense to be. The wonderful accuracy, great touch and even arm strength he showed most of the year can really let an offense take off. Ours DID take off actually for several weeks.

Some things to watch for that differ from K.C. though. Green was highly balanced with 103 throws to the right side, 110 to the left, 63 to the middle, 106 to the right sideline and 94 to the left sideline. Brunell was more isolated with numbers of 63, 77, 23, 170 and 96. We actually attacked the sidelines more than K.C. because of our edge speed. But, because we were so heavy left and so little middle, teams could statistically play us in a way to limit edge rushes while taking way the sidelines and filtering inside.

In K.C. that was harder because the whole field was attacked and the sidelines were not attacked as much, leaving room for that power sweep of theirs. It'll be fun to see how we deploy the weapons we have and it will not look the same as it did in K.C.

Saunders had a slightly better line in KC but he never had one good receiver, not one. Now he has three. You will see a lot of those WR screens and more RB screens next year. his offense is very similar to gibbs'

Slightly better??????? You got to be kidding me. The Chiefs had the best O-line in football. They have for years.

What did Priest Holmes do in Baltimore? Nothing

He goes to KC and he's all world.

Granted Larry Johnson was a stud in College, but he goes to KC and becomes all world there too.

Slightly better??????? You got to be kidding me. The Chiefs had the best O-line in football. They have for years.

Granted Larry Johnson was a stud in College, but he goes to KC and becomes all world there too.

And the Redskins offensive line of Jansen, Thomas, Rabach, Dockery and Samuels is on par with the K.C. line now. Indeed, it's right to say he had a slightly better line in K.C. than he will here as our line is one of the better in football, though currently lacking in depth.

can we see the same rampage of running we saw from larry johnson in cp. I mean the guy had 1800 yrds in what 10 games. thats ridcioulous. i have a good feeling that portis will eventually break 2000 yds or that the team will evenutally break the 2800 yds mark as a team.

As noted in another thread ...

KC has seemed like something of an anomally to me the last few years, in that looking at the talent, it just never seemed to jibe with being the TOP offense in football. Not taking a thing away from guys like Green, Holmes & Gonzalez, but they just never quite struck me as Manning, Edge & Harrison, or Montana, Craig & Rice. There was clearly something going on there just beneath the surface. It's damn intriguing to think that that something might have been one Al Saunders.

One thing for sure ... the expectations for this year's O will be tough to live up to out of the gate. I hope people will be patient.

Yeah. Right. :)

And the Redskins offensive line of Jansen, Thomas, Rabach, Dockery and Samuels is on par with the K.C. line now. Indeed, it's right to say he had a slightly better line in K.C. than he will here as our line is one of the better in football, though currently lacking in depth.

i thikn the line can be great like KC, however we need another season to gel together. I mean dockery made great strides last year and jansen was coming off a surgery. I totally expect towards the end of the season that washington will have one of the best, maybe the best o-line in football. Samuels may have his problems with speed rushers, but what LT doesn't.

I don't think you have a bad line at all, but nowhere near the KC line. Those boys are awesome and they have been for some time.

Depth also plays a huge roll in the offensive line too that you just can't discount. When was the last time any team ended the season with the same offensive line starters they started with? Those guys get injured cause they are doing some hardcore battling all season long. Depth if huge on the O-line. And I don't think the Skins have any. I'm not blasting you for it. Dallas has nothing for depth either.

This isn't really relevant to the question at hand. Run Blocking and Pass Blocking are two different things. Based on the success of Holmes and Johnson, we all know that Saunders can put together a great run blocking unit(and this should show in Portis' numbers next year). However, the KC offensive line wasn't know as much for pass blocking. Is that just because they didn't have the fire power to put together a great passing game, or in the weakness in Al Saunders scheme? I haven't seen enough KC football to have any idea.

I don't think you have a bad line at all, but nowhere near the KC line. Those boys are awesome and they have been for some time.

Depth also plays a huge roll in the offensive line too that you just can't discount. When was the last time any team ended the season with the same offensive line starters they started with? Those guys get injured cause they are doing some hardcore battling all season long. Depth if huge on the O-line. And I don't think the Skins have any. I'm not blasting you for it. Dallas has nothing for depth either.

Hmmm...actually KC went through almost 3 entire seasons starting the same 5 every week (3 or 4 are still the starters). Think maybe that contributed to their success? Also, they're getting old, it's time for Saunders' new line to take the title of best in the league :D

From a talent standpoint, indeed, the Skins line rates well in comparison to ANY line. Time together is what ours currently lacks, but you could see how well it was developing each week last year. There's no real weak link on the line we have.

Jansen is better than Welbourn. Thomas is on par with what Shields is today, though lesser than Shields was. Rabach and Wiegmann are similar in skill, though Wiegmann has been in the system there longer with the guys around him which is the key area we have to develop over time. Dockery is more complete than Waters but has some inconsistency, so, it's a relative push. Roaf is more dominating than Samuels, but, Samuels is more mobile and complete. Slight edge to Roaf at the present time, though, Samuels really came on strong last year despite that ankle problem.

The only real advantage K.C. has is generally playing with the same four and five guys over a long stretch. We're entering the second year. We'll be better than last and develop the chemistry to really emerge over time. KC gets the edge due to time and consistency where talent is probably the other way at the moment due to a little more age over there.

Nostril,

KC was 2nd in passing in 2003.

4th in 2004.

6th in 2005.

They were slipping. :)

Point seems to be, Saunders & Co. had a VERY balanced offense. Which happens to be the mantra Gibbs has espouzed since the early 80's. Which would seem, all in all, a good thing.

we shall see, the difference in KC without al saunders. I dont thikn herm will institute many of successful ideas that saudners had. To the many of u who play Fantasy football, portis has the potential to be the best back in football this year. Watch his stats become more similar to the ones he ran in Denver. Average this year will be around 4.7-4.9 per yard.

can we see the same rampage of running we saw from larry johnson in cp. I mean the guy had 1800 yrds in what 10 games. thats ridcioulous. i have a good feeling that portis will eventually break 2000 yds or that the team will evenutally break the 2800 yds mark as a team.

I think between Portis and Betts our running game will be very strong. They are both quick backs that block well. Look for them to have a big year.

Saunders ran his offense in KC through the tight end. He was a two tight end, two receiver, fullback, running back core offense. He ALWAYS wanted an elite receiver. More than that, he's always wanted an H-Back. Devotees to this offensive system love the H-Back. He never could develop a top receiver or H-Back in KC. Here, he's got both, and additional weapons.

Saunders has a reputation of NEVER running the same play twice in a four-week stretch. Vermeil said that was a bit much to him, but, you couldn't argue with the success. The versatility of Randle El is also something he's never had. He'll do some dramatically different things here than in K.C. but it will be done on speed and matchup problems teams can't really match in all cases.

It'll be fun to watch. But, Brunell has to be sharp like he was much of last year. He did slow as the year went on, but, SOME of that was we altered our approach and became a brute force running team. Then he got hurt against the Giants and was just not very good at all. But, watching games over now you can see how developed he can allow an offense to be. The wonderful accuracy, great touch and even arm strength he showed most of the year can really let an offense take off. Ours DID take off actually for several weeks.

No one could have said it better than you Art.

Nostril,

KC was 2nd in passing in 2003.

4th in 2004.

6th in 2005.

They were slipping. :)

Point seems to be, Saunders & Co. had a VERY balanced offense. Which happens to be the mantra Gibbs has espouzed since the early 80's. Which would seem, all in all, a good thing.

Good to know, and that's with a tight end and a kick returner as his two best receivers(kind of like the skins last year)

Archived