Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My 30 Seconds on Sirius NFL Radio

davepharmd

Not sure how many of you have Sirius Radio but "Moving the Chains" is actually a pretty good show. Tim Ryan & Pat Kirwan are the hosts & they have pretty good insight & are very fair judges of teams. Anyway... I was able to get thru Wed around 2PM & asked the following question: "With the addition of Al Saunders, do u see the Skins running a more tradtional FB style or sticking with the H-back? And can Sellers fill the role Tony Richardson did in KC?"

Point 1: Kirwan thought that we would run the 3-WR set about 50% of the time (which surprised me).

Point 2: Ryan felt that Sellers could do a good job at FB and that he his a good receiver.

Point 3: Kirwan pointed out that in KC the offense ran thru Tony Gonzalez & the other players fed off his mismatches. He word-for-word said "Chris Cooley ain't no Tony Gonzalez" but he did like Cooley as a player.

Hope someone out there heard it. Sorry for the marathon post, but I thought their insights were pretty interesting.

Thanks for sharing that info with us. Cooley is a good player, but he is prone to errors rendering him undependable on key downs. I hope time will help his hands and ball carrying capabilities. I have similar thoughts about Sellers. If he was consistently at his best, he would be a key offensive/ST player. Unfortunatley I have to hold my breath everytime the whistle blows and he's on the field because you never know when he's going to pick up a personal foul.

Interesting point about us running 3 WR half the time. What will that do with our running game. I remember when Detriot was running the West Coast offence when Barry was at RB, and they said it should gain him more yards because there is more real estate out there. Barry had success but he rather have a FB in front of them. Lets see how Clinton feels about and reacts to it on gameday.

I heard you Dave, great call. I also got through on Monday to ask Carl Banks if he worked for TO. He was plugging TO and the Giants the entire show. He said I was worried being a Skins fan. He said we got the wrong free agents. I told him he got free money from the Skins when he played here

I would be surprised if we moved away from the basic TE & HBack base formation to the full time FB formation. We have accumulated the players to compliment the TE & HBack set, and Cooley is one of our best offensive weapons. The pre-snap motion and multiple plays from a single formation strategy that Saunders loves fits well with the HBack position.

I heard you Dave, great call. I also got through on Monday to ask Carl Banks if he worked for TO. He was plugging TO and the Giants the entire show. He said I was worried being a Skins fan. He said we got the wrong free agents. I told him he got free money from the Skins when he played here

I love it !!

:1stplace:

The sign of a good coach is his ability to get the most out of what you have. Saunders will not come in and go away from what has been successful with the personnel already in place. He will implement wrinkles and twists to the system, but you can bet the money plays from the past will not be scrapped. As for Cooley and the holdover playmakers on offense, they bring some things to the table that their KC counterparts did not. Improvement on O should be a given. The way that it will happen remains to be seen. I listen to that sow everyday. Tim Ryan is also the same guy that told me to kiss G. Williams goodbye because they was no way another team wouldn't pick him away from us this off-season.

I must be watching a different Cooley on Sundays, I think he's pretty much a clutch player :logo:

Cooley sometimes tries to hard, fights for more yards, which sometimes becomes errors. Fortionatly I believed everytime he fumbled, we where able to recover it, 2 come to mind. The one Dockery had against Dallas and I forgot the team we where playing when Portis picked it up.

Cooley is an excellent player, but its true what they said, that he is no Tony Gonzalez

Anyone consider that the reason the KC offense went through TG was because they didnt have any WR who could create the mismatches that TG and Priest could? I suspect that we will see EVERYONE who can create a mismatch utilized excellently by our coaches. We have 6 very good/elite players at the skill positions. The only thing that will stop us from making the most of them is if our Oline get hit with alot of injuries.

I LOVE IT!!!,Hey he bashed us and you bashed back,good job...HAIL

I must be watching a different Cooley on Sundays, I think he's pretty much a clutch player :logo:

I would concur. It's no mystery that when teams like TB and Seattle keyed on Santana and CC in the playoffs, the production slowed considerably. Now, with a legitimate #2 and wild card like ARE, you have to think that Brunell will have at least three to four check downs before making up his mind. In my mind I have to think that our opponents will now have to watch double the game film (ours and KC's) to pick up patterns in the new system.

One of the great things about Saunders is that he finds a way to utilize the weapons around him. Barring any major injuries, this season will be tantamount to watching the 4th of July fireworks on a weekly basis. I'm sure I'm not the only one who can't wait to see us firing on all cylinders again.

One final statement, is it me or would Carl Banks be a footnote in NFL history if it weren't for LT? I avoid his show and the one with Brian Cox because they're barely decipherable and when they are asked an objective question, their biased responses about certain teams are quite evident. Hardly the kind of open forum you'd expect, but it's controversial comments and opinions that get people fired up.

Anyone consider that the reason the KC offense went through TG was because they didnt have any WR who could create the mismatches that TG and Priest could? I suspect that we will see EVERYONE who can create a mismatch utilized excellently by our coaches. We have 6 very good/elite players at the skill positions. The only thing that will stop us from making the most of them is if our Oline get hit with alot of injuries.

Blade Sir, I do know why you are the Boss, I agree completely. Al Saunders must think this is an incredible opportunity to walk in and have tremendous talent on offense. Additionally how can one even comprehend how great it is to have Gregg Williams' defense to back you up. And Coach Gibbs looking over all the details....great things will occur sooner than many think.

:logo:

Not sure how many of you have Sirius Radio but "Moving the Chains" is actually a pretty good show. Tim Ryan & Pat Kirwan are the hosts & they have pretty good insight & are very fair judges of teams. Anyway... I was able to get thru Wed around 2PM & asked the following question: "With the addition of Al Saunders, do u see the Skins running a more tradtional FB style or sticking with the H-back? And can Sellers fill the role Tony Richardson did in KC?"

Point 1: Kirwan thought that we would run the 3-WR set about 50% of the time (which surprised me).

Point 2: Ryan felt that Sellers could do a good job at FB and that he his a good receiver.

Point 3: Kirwan pointed out that in KC the offense ran thru Tony Gonzalez & the other players fed off his mismatches. He word-for-word said "Chris Cooley ain't no Tony Gonzalez" but he did like Cooley as a player.

Hope someone out there heard it. Sorry for the marathon post, but I thought their insights were pretty interesting.

I caught the tail end of your phone call as I just turned the radio up as Kirwin was saying the Skins would be employing a 3 reciever set.I have been able to get through to The Afternoon Blitz a couple of times to defend the Skins against Schein and Riggin's negativity toward the team.Schein was saying before last season that the Skins were the worst team in the division.

Interesting point about us running 3 WR half the time. What will that do with our running game. I remember when Detriot was running the West Coast offence when Barry was at RB, and they said it should gain him more yards because there is more real estate out there. Barry had success but he rather have a FB in front of them. Lets see how Clinton feels about and reacts to it on gameday.

If you recall Denver runs a lot of 3 wide receiver sets. Clinton has be quoted as saying the he likes these packages as it gives him more room to get through.

thats hilarious :laugh: what did banks have to say- he was pretty average for the skins- LT really made him look a lot better than he was. :applause:

Cooley is an excellent player, but its true what they said, that he is no Tony Gonzalez

Maybe not but Cooley's got considerably better numbers through two seasons than Gonzalez did.

Gonzalez

92 rec, 989 yds, 4 TDs, 54 first downs

Cooley

108 rec, 1,088 yds, 13 TDs, 67 first downs

Yes yes!

Al Saunders isn't here to try to replicate the KC offense. That would be doing a disservice to the current personnel. Here's here to get the most out of the players on hand. He has far better receivers, a more athletic offensive line, and a more versatile running back. On the other hand, said offensive line is less physical, our TEs are obviously nowhere in the vicinity of TGon if Cooley stays at H-back (where he should), and our QB has not played on the level of a Trent Green.

The current makeup of our team seems a lot more likely to go the route of the 1999 Rams - where Saunders was the receivers coach. That means that the vast majority of the balls are probably going to the WRs and backs, much to the dismay of Mr. Cooley. :(

However, while I like our depth at RB, WR, QB, and H-back - the lack of depth along the offensive line is downright frightening. The biggest reason that KC was such a machine the past 4 years is because they enjoyed wonderful health along their offensive line. Their depth wasn't even tested. Until this year when they weren't so lucky and they became just another offense for about month when Willie Roaf went down. Hopefully, the team addresses this over the next couple months.

thats hilarious :laugh: what did banks have to say- he was pretty average for- LT really made him look a lot better than he was. :applause:

Banks got real mad, and they hung up on me. I am just getting so tired of him pumping up the Giants. And he must have something for TO, cause he has been taking his side since he signed. Maybe it is because he hates the Beagles so much.

Banks got real mad, and they hung up on me. I am just getting so tired of him pumping up the Giants. And he must have something for TO, cause he has been taking his side since he signed. Maybe it is because he hates the Beagles so much.

The addition of Banks to the shows has been fairly recent. He has been a total jackhole towards the skins all along.

He is one of the guys that proclaimed the unavoidable "cap hell" as well.

Great job shaming him!!

I'd live to hear his explanation of how we got the "wrong guys". By his crappy measures, there would be no right guys except his but buddy TO.

Archived