Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You Decide The House Sparrow's Fate (poll)

unsonny

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

You see I got this problem, I bought a Bluebird Box a couple of weeks ago, but a House Sparrow has decided to take it over.

I'm an avid birdwatcher and was hoping a Mountain Blue Bird would nest in our yard this spring instead.

Seeing how the House Sparrow, like the House Finch and Starling, is an introduced bird (not from around these parts) I'd like to kick the little **** to the curb (pull its nest out) and hope a Bluebird comes along later this spring.

What should I do?

And how, if I pull the nest out, do i keep the House Sparrow from coming back?

Is there a way to attract a Bluebird to the box instead of the nasty rat bird - House Sparrow

this poll will decide the fate of this House Sparrow Family

the box in question

100_1949.jpg

the House Sparrow

m_houspa.jpg

the Mountain Bluebird

bluebird_red_crested.jpg

My soft side says let him stay, but I'm all for doing what it takes to help the indigenous birds. Plus, bluebirds are much better looking. We used to shoot starlings on principle to help keep them in check and to allow other birds like bluebirds to proliferate around our farm in Orange County, VA. So I vote for evict.

It's a losing battle, my brother.

I have 3 of these Blue Bird boxes on my property and the House Sparrows build nests in them EVERY year.

I use to go out and pull their nest out, but the Sparrows go right back and build another one.

I gave up years ago.

It's a losing battle, my brother.

I have 3 of these Blue Bird boxes on my property and the House Sparrows build nests in them EVERY year.

I use to go out and pull their nest out, but the Sparrows go right back and build another one.

I gave up years ago.

****S!!!!!!

He was there this morning on my fence.....mocking me.....i swear i saw a sign that said - pwn3t birding noob - under his wing :laugh: :laugh:

All I can do i guess is hope a bigger and badder bluebird shows up and kicks ass!!!!

but for now - i'll leave the little guy alone

We use to have hundreds of bluebirds here in St. Mary's county MD when I moved here in 1980 but now they are gone. I miss those little critters, they were real beautiful. Now its just Robins and chickadees around my house with the occasional cardinal or rare scarlet tananger

• 2 months later...
UPDATE!!!!!!!!

a cat killed off the House Sparrows about 6 weeks ago

here is a picture I took this morning.......Bluebirds baby.....Bluebirds!!!!

100_3057.jpg

You should thank the cat:silly:.

Also, is that another type of bird flying at the top of the picture?- EDIT nvm, my eyes tricked me.

size of the hole.....and space of the cavity

Anyone I know? :silly:

Anyway, this was a very good lesson all you kids should learn about Karma. That's right, Karma with a capital "K". See, if Sonny would of "evicted" the Sparrow in hopes of a Blue Bird taking up residence Karma would of kicked him in the ass and a Blue Bird would never of taken up lodgings there. By allowing the Sparrow to stay, Sonny gained positive Karma, which in turn through some brutal events led to a beatiful Blue Bird family moving in......

Karma ain't no joke people!

Anyway' date=' this was a very good lesson all you kids should learn about Karma. That's right, Karma with a capital "K". See, if Sonny would of "evicted" the Sparrow in hopes of a Blue Bird taking up residence Karma would of kicked him in the ass and a Blue Bird would never of taken up lodgings there. By allowing the Sparrow to stay, Sonny gained positive Karma, which in turn through some brutal events led to a beatiful Blue Bird family moving in......

Karma ain't no joke people![/quote']

Wow... wonder what that sparrow did... :paranoid:

Anyway' date=' this was a very good lesson all you kids should learn about Karma. That's right, Karma with a capital "K". See, if Sonny would of "evicted" the Sparrow in hopes of a Blue Bird taking up residence Karma would of kicked him in the ass and a Blue Bird would never of taken up lodgings there. By allowing the Sparrow to stay, Sonny gained positive Karma, which in turn through some brutal events led to a beatiful Blue Bird family moving in......

Karma ain't no joke people![/quote']

Bringing up Karma and birdhouses in the same thread reminded me of something I've been meaning to post here this spring.

About 10 years a go my sister gave me a Redskin birdhouse. It's been perched on top of a pole. Year after year, the birdhouse would deteriorate with each passing winter. Each spring would come around and the birdhouse sat empty; nary a occupant to put it to good use.

Finally, last spring a barn wren moved in. Guess what happen next...you're right....the Redskins went to the playoffs....now that's Karma!!!

....and guess what? I've got barn wrens again this year.....we're SuperBowl bound....I know it.......it's a sign!!!!!!! :cheers:

Archived