Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

redskins.scout.com article: Antonio Pierce should shut up

yazzmode621

The only thing I kinda disagree with Rich on is the comments he was making about the “the entertainment and marketing side of it.” part of Pierce's comments. Really, all NFL teams are about entertainment and marketing. There is no "used to be" about it. They also are about playing football. I guess Pierce was inferring that the Redskins weren't about football, which is a headscratcher. Maybe he's misguided in some ways in his early days, but Snyder always seemed to be a guy who wanted to have winning teams here.

I have a feeling you are going to get a lot of that from some of the guys who were here the past 5 or so years. Being on losing teams is not a fun thing, and I'm sure a lot of these guys are pretty scarred by it. At the same time, it is sad that they couldn't see that a good thing is building here, and that they should be a part of it.

Jason

The article gives only one or two examples. Why should we care about what a player thinks about the business part of the organization? I don't really think (by what I read in the article) that Pierce has said anything that bad. It just sounds like he's saying what he feels.

It's not like he's writing a song about it. (ex: T.O. :laugh: )

What player in sports in general has not wanted to get back at the team that he last played for....It's just as common as free agency. We're talking about Athlete's with Paper Tissue Feelings. Even coaches have that feeling (I'm sure Norv and Marty were all broken up that they came in here and won). I'm annoyed that he keeps on selling wolf tickets but hey it goes with the territory. Nice rebuttle in the article. Some Examples I can think of.

Shaq vs. Lakers - Hated the fact that they chose Kobe over him.

T.O. vs. Eagles - Will be interesting to see who has the last laugh.

Johnny Damon vs. Red Sox - Can't wait to see the reaction he gets going back to Fenway.

Alphonso Soriano vs. The Nationals (Oh wait.....It should be Soriano vs. Second Base). lol.

Rich said it all in his piece.

All I can figure is AP has changed a bit after a year in that crazy, confrontational New York sports media environment. His tone and the pretty mindless content in those comments don't sound like the same guy that quietly earned his way on to the field here. Nothing all that suprising, I guess, just a little disappointing. I thought AP was bigger than all that.

Sounds like the same guy I knew that would bark out at the line to pull someone offsides. Still overrated and now overpaid...

If he is "The Man" why dont he take over games with the Defence?

oh yea I forgot, thats M. Strahan's defence.

Guest santana4prez

He is one of the few Redskins I called would be a good player when he went undrafted and saw him in preseason, I was sad to seem him go but.......

He has shown that he really is a prick.:doh:

It's amazing how you guys can't take any criticism of the Redskins. Let's be honest: the Skins are all about entertainment and marketing. It's a freakin' business. The entire NFL is all about entertainment and marketing.

It's just that Danny took it a little too far. He brought in players just to put their names on the backs of jerseys he could sell (Sanders, Smith, etc). And you bought them, you suckers. But with the return of Saint Joe, Danny can focus on marketing and entertainment but... and this is a big but... he's got someone who actually knows football to take care of the football side.

Antonio Pierce has been critical of the Skins. He saw the Skins from the inside and he didn't like what he saw. Well, I saw the Skins from the outside, pre-Joe, and I didn't like what I saw, either: a bunch of losers. A team that was positively owned by the Cowboys. A team that hadn't sniffed the playoffs since Danny arrived. So don't whine about Antonio's remarks. Learn from them.

You guys crow about Danny's business acumen -- about how the Skins sell more stuff than any other team -- like that's important to you. Why do you care? You might say, "Well, that enables him to spend more on the team than anyone else..." but, of course, he's been doing that for years and they still stunk. He started doing that the day he arrived.

The only good thing Danny has done, from a football standpoint, is hire Joe Gibbs. The great part now, of course, is that we get the best of both worlds: Joe Gibbs handling the football, and Danny handling the marketing. That's a combination no other team can match.

What do you want him to say? Hes trying to build a fan base in NY and hating on his former team and a division rival is the fastest way into their hearts.

This thread is pointless. These guys are professional athletes selling themselves not only to organizations, but to the general public as well.

Antonio may be bitter, but to think that he has any specific venom toward the Skins more than he has quasi-loyalty to the G-men and their fans is naive. Same with any new Redskin. You don't really know what his motivations are, so let's just not give him an audience until it's time to suit up on Sunday and whip his ***.

Let it go. Same with Ryan Clark.

I got another idea lets see how he plays against us this year. Because he spent his whole career with the Redskins and knew us inside out but now with Saunders running the offense lets see just how good Pierce does.

It's just that Danny took it a little too far. He brought in players just to put their names on the backs of jerseys he could sell (Sanders, Smith, etc). And you bought them, you suckers. But with the return of Saint Joe, Danny can focus on marketing and entertainment but... and this is a big but... he's got someone who actually knows football to take care of the football side.

Danny did probably what most fans would do in that position: get the best players they know. Course, he did that without having the football knowledge to do it right. (Course, Antonio really wasn't here for that, since he was signed the next year when Marty took over.) I have no doubt of his sincerity in trying to put a good team on the field. It was his methodology that was questionable.

Antonio Pierce has been critical of the Skins. He saw the Skins from the inside and he didn't like what he saw. Well, I saw the Skins from the outside, pre-Joe, and I didn't like what I saw, either: a bunch of losers. A team that was positively owned by the Cowboys. A team that hadn't sniffed the playoffs since Danny arrived. So don't whine about Antonio's remarks. Learn from them.

Remember: the Skins were losers well before Snyder bought the team. Funny thing is, they did get to the playoffs under Danny fairly quickly. Course, it fell apart about as quickly.

As for Antonio, he's critical because he didn't get the payday that other players had gotten in previous years. That's why he's bitter, no other reason.

Jason

It's very simple. Antonio Pierce wants desperately to be a Redskin and is heart broken having left for more money. Hey, it's life in the NFL, not withstanding, with a salary cap. Eliminate the cap and he would have been a Redskin, smiling for the camera as Larry Michael drenches him with compliments.

A walk-on can only thank God for the opportunity to play profesional ball. The Redskins needed him on the bench and when called forth to perform, he did. I believe that that is the deal as a bench player. I was certainly happy he was on the team and disappointed he left. I wish him the best. But, somewhat, in the words of William Shakespeare, "methinks he doth protest too much".

Hail Redskins!

Wow, all this for that little statement? All he basically said was that he enojyed to atmosphere with the Giants better. There isn't much hatred in that statement at all. He wanted to stay a Redskin, but the Redksins wouldn't match the offer.

Big deal.

The guy uses it as motivation on the field, I highly doubt he truly hates the organization because he wouldn't be in the NFL had they not kept him around and let him have his chance to shine.

It's one guy's opinion, you're reading way too much into it.

pierce, was a special teams and backup outside linebacker on a team going nowhere. greg williams comes in and creates a solid middle linebacker out of pierce. this enable pierce to demand a lot more money, which he deserved, but, in todays cap situation, there was no way to give him what he wanted. there was no compromise by pierce, and gave the skins a deadline to meet his demands. greg and joe wished him the best, and praised his abilities as well hated losing a great work in progress by greg williams. thats the way it goes. i hated to see him go as well. but, thank goodness, we still have greg williams, and he is turning another outside linebacker into a strong middle linebacker mr. marshall. i was glad smoot left, and i dont believe ryan clark would ever be a solid starting safety. i trust in gibbs and williams knowing who they can afford to keep and lose.

It sucks to read something like this as Antonio was one of the guys I missed when he left and was still routing for him as an individual. I guess we can just use this as motivation now.

Yea after the stuff he said last season these were the reasons I wanted to kill the Giants...

1. Division Record

2. Important games in our season.

3. Antonio Pierce would shut the hell up...

Look, the Redskins as an organization might be more focused on Money and Enterainment than actually winning a Super Bowl. But that dosnt mean you dont care about if you go to the SB or not. I mean, you dont win 5 straight games and a playoff game to finish your season in the playoffs againts the NFC representatives in the Super Bowl just for the money and enterainment, that takes heart, and you gotta care about winning and the game to have a place in your heart for football...

SO ANTONIO...PLEASE MAN!!!!!JUST SHUT UP!!!!!!:laugh:

Archived