Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

redskins.scout.com article: Antonio Pierce should shut up

yazzmode621

Bleh, I liked him when he played here, but he must have gotten a case of the "I need media" bug, yet talking about the redskins caring only about entertainment.

We have another LB who did well in Lemar Marshall (not even his original position), so I could care less what this idiot believes.

I think this article is right on point. I enjoyed watching and cheering for AP when he wore the burgundy & gold so it's really disappointing to hear his comments today. It seems like he's not as genuine or mature as we might have thought. :2cents:

You think? What is the common thread among all the players that leave?

Are you talking about now, or pre-Gibbs? Pre-Gibbs, you can understand the bitterness. But what about now? Smoot didn't really talk any trash. Coles talked trash about every team he has ever left.

Are you talking about now, or pre-Gibbs? Pre-Gibbs, you can understand the bitterness. But what about now? Smoot didn't really talk any trash. Coles talked trash about every team he has ever left.

Pre Gibbs or post Gibbs. It doesn't really matter. When it comes down to the business side of things this organization has a way of alienating players and really leaving them with a sour taste in their mouths. Maybe this is just the business side of it. There is no doubt that the Joe Gibbs culture has given us fans a new light. I am fine with some of the moves we have made. What I feel a little uneasy about is the "Core Redskin" philosophy. I feel like this a bunch of BS. Here are some so called "Core Redskins" that obviously weren't or aren't so "core".

Antonio Pierce- We wouldn't match his offer and he is bitter

Champ Bailey- We drafted him, had his best years here and was liked among the fans. He didn't like the way things were run.

Fred Smoot- Well liked, team presence, known around the city and a good player. Let him go.

Lavar Arrington- A mess from both sides. This was the prodigal son and it ended in bloodshed

Ryan Clark- A guy who played well in the system, did great things in the community and could have been had for a cup of coffee and some sprees. Instead we left it at sour grapes.

Phillip Daniels- This guy became sort of the spokesman for the defense last year and had a really good season both against the run and rushing the passer. At the end of the season we go out and pay a guy a ton more money who has less productivity???? How core does PD feel now?

Renaldo Wynn- Broke his arm after being a key piece of the puzzle for the last two years. Might get cut because we have Andre Carter now? See ya later "Core Redskin". This is just speculation of course but how core is he really?

The way I see it, this team is only going to be as good as its unity. We made it to the playoffs on 25% talent last season and 75% heart and soul. This offseason we have sacrificed some of that heart and soul for marquee names. I'm mainly talking about defense here. The defense was talking about taking a fishing trip together. Those guys had a great appreciation for one another. The decision makers on that side of the ball blatently ignored that and decided that change was neccessary at a high price, Adam Archuleta.

I don't have any problem with what Antonio Pierce said because there is plenty of evidence out there that he might be right about what he says and history backs him up. Most of this is business and that is something most NFL players know nothing about. In the case of former Redskins there seems to be too much of the same sentiment. I'm not going to jump all over AP for for feeling this way.

"Core Redskin" is ,and understandably so, a gimic term used to build team unity. In the free agent era 90% of the time players are going to go to the highest bidder. We need not blame the organzation completely just as we should not completely blame the ex-Skins. It is first and foremost a business and players, coaches, FO all have to play by the same rules and unfortunately a player like Pierce in Williams' system was replaceable.

This stuff happens every year. AP could have stayed. Smoot could have stayed. L nasty ( god i am going to miss him) could have stayed. They wanted big money. They got big money (From what I understand smoot got a cool boat ride as well). People make a big fuss about we pay our FA's. Their contract's big money years are in the fourth, fifth, and sixth years of the deal. Also their signing bonuses are pro-rated to pay big in these later years. All this means is we pay em decent their first few years and then restructure, or renegotiate or go another direction. The players have agents, their agents know the deal. Maybe just maybe guys like carter and Lloyd and Archuletta and Randal El wanted to play for an team on the up and up. To play for 2 possible and 1 already hall of fame coaches.

Pre Gibbs or post Gibbs. It doesn't really matter. When it comes down to the business side of things this organization has a way of alienating players and really leaving them with a sour taste in their mouths. Maybe this is just the business side of it. There is no doubt that the Joe Gibbs culture has given us fans a new light. I am fine with some of the moves we have made. What I feel a little uneasy about is the "Core Redskin" philosophy. I feel like this a bunch of BS. Here are some so called "Core Redskins" that obviously weren't or aren't so "core".

Antonio Pierce- We wouldn't match his offer and he is bitter

Champ Bailey- We drafted him, had his best years here and was liked among the fans. He didn't like the way things were run.

Fred Smoot- Well liked, team presence, known around the city and a good player. Let him go.

Lavar Arrington- A mess from both sides. This was the prodigal son and it ended in bloodshed

Ryan Clark- A guy who played well in the system, did great things in the community and could have been had for a cup of coffee and some sprees. Instead we left it at sour grapes.

Phillip Daniels- This guy became sort of the spokesman for the defense last year and had a really good season both against the run and rushing the passer. At the end of the season we go out and pay a guy a ton more money who has less productivity???? How core does PD feel now?

Renaldo Wynn- Broke his arm after being a key piece of the puzzle for the last two years. Might get cut because we have Andre Carter now? See ya later "Core Redskin". This is just speculation of course but how core is he really?

The way I see it, this team is only going to be as good as its unity. We made it to the playoffs on 25% talent last season and 75% heart and soul. This offseason we have sacrificed some of that heart and soul for marquee names. I'm mainly talking about defense here. The defense was talking about taking a fishing trip together. Those guys had a great appreciation for one another. The decision makers on that side of the ball blatently ignored that and decided that change was neccessary at a high price, Adam Archuleta.

I don't have any problem with what Antonio Pierce said because there is plenty of evidence out there that he might be right about what he says and history backs him up. Most of this is business and that is something most NFL players know nothing about. In the case of former Redskins there seems to be too much of the same sentiment. I'm not going to jump all over AP for for feeling this way.

Lavar - after Gibbs came, how core was Lavar, really? He barely played. Also, this relationship predated Gibbs II

Clark - I don't like how we got rid of him. We could have had him, for sure, but only if he was backup. Williams for some reason didn't think he was the best starter.

Bailey - come on, that was before Gibbs, he was already fed up with everything.

Smoot - when has he trashed the Skins? It was all about the $$ for him.

Daniels/Wynn - your points for these guys are real stretches. Daniels is still starter on the team, last I checked.

By the way, your original point was about players leaving having a bad taste in their mouths. It was not about building a cohesive D.

I think most of the Redskins fans are just overly sensitive to ANY negative remarks about the Redskins that make it to the press. He's commenting on a situation where a player is leaving the Redskins, how is he not going to mention something about the Redskins? Also, why is he going to spin the organization in a positive way when he no longer works for that organization and the situation on which he is commenting is rather precarious for the Redskins? In addition, if he's trying to recruit Lavar to play for the Giants, shouldn't he be trying to sell how the Giants organization is better than the Redskins? Woudn't his comments be classified as such?

There are some Redskin fans that just need to get over it, realize there is always someone painting the Redskins in a negative light especially when it benefits them, and stop being so sensitive.

Dude, you know we still needed a passrushing DE, right?

Andre Carter filled a glaring need on this team. I agree with you're other examples, but these two are reaches.

Rich said it all in his piece.

All I can figure is AP has changed a bit after a year in that crazy, confrontational New York sports media environment. His tone and the pretty mindless content in those comments don't sound like the same guy that quietly earned his way on to the field here. Nothing all that suprising, I guess, just a little disappointing. I thought AP was bigger than all that.

It has nothing to do with the Skins. This is the way most players in the league react when the leave after prolonged negotiations don't go exactly their way. Look at Steve Hutchinson or Adam Vinatieri. They all both felt slighted by their clubs when another team made them an offer that didn't fit into their current team's salary structure. Those offers are the only way you GET free agents. In these situations, it's often the first time these guys have tasted free agency and been recruited by other teams. It's the first time they've been wooed since high school when colleges were looking at them. Everyone wants to feel wanted, and it's very natural to be bitter when the team you thought wanted to keep you around for a while doesn't offer you as much money as another club who sees you as a great fit. It's just business in the end. Pierce's attitude and outspokenness on the subject of the Redskins speaks to anger and immaturity on his part.

Archived