Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RUMOR: Patriots interested in Arrington???

Mass_SkinsFan

WHo will be going home this week?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. WHo will be going home this week?

• Katharine McPhee
    • Mandisa
    • Lisa Tucker
    • Kevin Covais
    • Ace Young
    • Bucky Covington
    • Taylor Hicks
    • Kellie Pickler
    • Paris Bennett
    • Elliott Yamin
    • Chris Daughtry

I saw this mentioned elsewhere online this morning, and haven't seen it mentioned here yet...

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.asp?sport=NFL

LaVar Arrington - LB - Redskins

ESPN's John Clayton reports the Patriots may be holding out to make a run at LaVar Arrington.

New England has lost several key free agents this offseason, including Tim Dwight and Adam Vinatieri on Tuesday. Arrington would add talent and youth to a Pats' linebacking corps in need of both. Mar. 22 - 9:11 am et

Personally, I have a very difficult time believing that Arrington would be a good fit for the Patriots. Between his agents (Patriots have had Poston problems in the past); the salary he's going to want (Adam Vinatieri anyone?); and his "Me First - Team Second" attitude, I can't believe the Patriots would even look at him.

i do think lavar would fit in better in a 3-4 where he can just rush the passer on everydown. we all know he cant cover so this is his best option. pleaseeeeeeeeeee go to the AFC

Yes, he probably would. Unfortuantely that's not the sort of 3-4 defense that the Patriots play. Amazingly enough, they require their OLB's to actually play within a system. A system that requires them to drop out in pass coverage at times.

More importantly, he's not the sort of player that the Patriots look for. They want solid citizens, guys who buy into a "Team First, Team Second, Team Third" mentality, and players who are willing to put the system ahead of their own personal stats and glory. He's also a Poston client, and the Patriots have had their share of issues with Poston clients in the past. Most importantly, as the Adam Vinatieri thing shows, they're not interested in shelling out huge contracts to players.

I just don't see it happening.

and his "Me First - Team Second" attitude, I can't believe the Patriots would even look at him.

I don't think he has a Me First attitude, despite all the hype.

He likes being in the spotlight for sure, but he played through WAY too many injuries for me to think he has a me first attitude.

He still can be a very good player. I wish him well.

I don't think he has a Me First attitude, despite all the hype.

He likes being in the spotlight for sure, but he played through WAY too many injuries for me to think he has a me first attitude.

The problem that I see is that Arrington likes to open his mouth. The only TEAM I've ever seen that collectively says less in press confrences than Joe Gibbs does individually is the Patriots. They're the definition of the idea that "he spoke for 5 minutes and said nothing."

They also work on a "no stars" concept. Everyone has their particular job on a particular play and/or in a particular scheme and that's it. There's no room for glory-hounds or ad libbing or anything like that in their system. I just don't see Lavar buying into that concept.

Most importantly, I don't see the Patriots shelling out a Julian Peterson type contract to Lavar. That's not their style and I believe that's what he's going to be looking for.

Patriots take players that look like junk and make them perform. Some say LaVar got alot worse after his injury and will never be the same, but my guess is if the Pats pick him up, he will do a great job for them. But how many players on their roster gets paid well? But who knows, maybe LaVar will stop caring about the money in order to build stability...

The problem that I see is that Arrington likes to open his mouth. The only TEAM I've ever seen that collectively says less in press confrences than Joe Gibbs does individually is the Patriots. They're the definition of the idea that "he spoke for 5 minutes and said nothing."

They also work on a "no stars" concept. Everyone has their particular job on a particular play and/or in a particular scheme and that's it. There's no room for glory-hounds or ad libbing or anything like that in their system. I just don't see Lavar buying into that concept.

Most importantly, I don't see the Patriots shelling out a Julian Peterson type contract to Lavar. That's not their style and I believe that's what he's going to be looking for.

I gotta agree with all of these things. - Bellicheck is all about doing your assignment and nothing else.

...this sounds like media speculation anyway.

Just to add to the speculation, according to ESPN NFL Rumor Central, Miami is the frontrunner for Arrington. They wanted Julian but obviously got beat to the punch but they are willing to pay LaVar that $10 million he is asking for. Nonetheless this adds more to the possibility of him playing in another conference. :applause:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors

Dolphins fixated on Arrington

<Mar. 22> According to the Palm Beach Post, the Dolphins' interest in Arrington has increased after losing out on Julian Peterson to the Seahawks. Arrington and Peterson were considered the top free-agent linebackers available. Peterson's deal (seven years and $54 million) could dictate how much a team will have to pay for Arrington....

They go on to mention that his is seeking at least $10 million in guaranteed money.

Archived