Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

'The Godfather -- The Game'

mistymjohnson

Would this interest you?

'The Godfather -- The Game': An Offer You Can't Refuse?

Video Game Version of the Classic 1972 Film Hits Stores Today

March 21, 2006 — "The Godfather — The Game" hits stores today, and the manufacturer, Electronic Arts Inc., hopes the video game version of the classic movie will be an offer celebrities — and gamers — can't refuse.

"The Godfather — The Game" casts players in the role of a young man entering the world of the Corleone family. Players can create their own mob character and choose how they're going to work their way to the top. The game goes beyond just re-creating the "Godfather" trilogy and book to recreate the 1940s and 1950s world in which the characters lived.

Players can interact with characters such as Luca Brasi, Sonny, Tom Hagan, and of course, Don Vito Corleone. That excites video game fans, even the more famous ones who turned out for a launch party for the game in Los Angeles on Monday night.

"There's something you have to do to become a the mob," said rapper and game enthusiast Snoop Dogg. "It's the whole family [that's involved in the game]. I'm anxious to see that in the whole world because we're so intrigued by it, from seeing it in films. You can have it your own way and become that piece that's missing when you're watching the movie."

Some fans say a game devoted to "The Godfather" has been long overdue.

"To see it as a game is dope," Ice Cube said. "You know they've got all these other games, and they finally gave a little respect to one of the classic movies in American history."

'Godfather' Takes Early Hits

Actors from the "Godfather" film such as Marlon Brando, James Caan and Robert Duvall lent their voices to the game. Brando contributed some of his voice-overs before his death in 2004. A sound-alike artist provided most of the voice-overs for Brando's Don Corleone. Caan said he took a few liberties with his portrayal as Santino "Sonny" Corleone.

"We ad-libbed a lot because I figured I could take license," he said. "None of them [the video game characters] looked like Shakespeare so I thought I could take license. So, we had a lot of fun doing that."

Still, not everyone was so enthusiastic about Electronic Arts' video game version of "The Godfather."

Francis Ford Coppola, the film's director, did not want to have any involvement in the project. In addition, many previews of the game were negative, and Electronic Arts reportedly spent between $10 million and $20 million to re-create the Mafia world for game consoles and personal computers and suffered some financial losses from multiple delays in production.

the game definitely is on my radar. unfortunately, i have the gamecube, and games like that usually don't make it to that system. i'll have to check to see if it's available.

Major are you going to get Revolution when it comes out? I gurantee it will be a hit. It looks awesome.

Major are you going to get Revolution when it comes out? I gurantee it will be a hit. It looks awesome.

i dunno man. i've been a nintendo loyalist since the original nes. never owned a ps or xbox, always nintendo. but the 64 was a huge disappointment, the gamecube isn't much better (at least in the # of titles), and the ds is the same story. nintendo spends so much time and effort on the gameboy, it's like they don't care about the grown up systems.

sure, the revolution looks great. but nintendo manages to alienate the 3rd party game designers every time, and major titles are always missing from nintendo. pisses me off to no end to see a commercial for a phat game, only to be disappointed at the end to see no GC symbol.

it's cool that you'll be able to download all the old nes games, but really, when all is said and done, they're still 8-bit graphic games from 1986.

and, no, godfather is not available for nintendo. :doh:

i dunno man. i've been a nintendo loyalist since the original nes. never owned a ps or xbox, always nintendo. but the 64 was a huge disappointment, the gamecube isn't much better (at least in the # of titles), and the ds is the same story. nintendo spends so much time and effort on the gameboy, it's like they don't care about the grown up systems.

sure, the revolution looks great. but nintendo manages to alienate the 3rd party game designers every time, and major titles are always missing from nintendo. pisses me off to no end to see a commercial for a phat game, only to be disappointed at the end to see no GC symbol.

it's cool that you'll be able to download all the old nes games, but really, when all is said and done, they're still 8-bit graphic games from 1986.

and, no, godfather is not available for nintendo. :doh:

Major, I'm a huge Nintendo loyalist as well and I really don't see how you could have been so dissapointed with the 64 (the Cube maybe but not the 64). It was revolutionary. I mean-

Mario 64

Mario Kart 64

Golden Eye

Zelda :Ocarina of time (maybe the best game ever)

Major's Mask

Perfect Dark

Turok

Wave Rave

DK 64

Mario Tennis

Mario Golf

Conker

I loved all of those games.

I will definitely pre-order the new system when they start taking preorders. I can't wait to download Tecmo Superbowl.

posse:

64 was a disappointment for me just due to the limited # of games. same w/ gamecube. don't get me wrong, i played the crap out of the 64, skipped many a classes because of it. but remember when it came out? it was supposed to be the end all be all......they had at least 2, maybe 3 expansion ports built in. what did they ever do w/ it? the "expansion pak" that they put out was a worthless waste of money and did nothing for the gaming experience.

i do agree that ocarina of time is the best game ever.

i also think that i'm pissed right now that the twilight princess got pushed back to november....wasn't it supposed to be LAST october? :doh:

Major,

Have you played Resident Evil IV for the GC? If not, then I definitely recommend it. Turn up he volume and turn off the lights. And have fun killin'.

funny you ask.....

my father in law leant me that game a LONG time ago, and i got into something else and forgot about it. been thinking about firing it up.....will do now that you mention it.

Besides Eternal Darkness, it was the most enjoyed GC game in my library. Actually, I liked it more than Eternal Darkness - although E.D. was novel.

Back on topic - the Godfather game looks sweet. But I will wait til it drops in price, if it gets good pub.

The only game I will be buying full price this year will be Kingdom Hearts II in about a week.

To get away from this "crazy" nintendo debate, I got the game last night.

Its got a Grand Theft Auto/Streets of LA feel to it. So far I've had lots of fun with it, and the side missions are a good time. Gameplay and control are both solid. If you like the two previously mentioned games you'll love Godfather. Personally I like being able to run around the city and do side missions while casually finishing the game missions. I highly recommend picking the game up.

Hey Major, did you ever play the game Chrono Trigger for SNES? I think that might have been my favorite game of all time and I'm not even really a fan of RPGs per se. Ocarina was good, I agree, but I actually like Mario 64 better.

You're totally right about 64. The good games were excellent, there just weren't many of them. The graphics on that system are very kiddy for me, too. That being said, I could still play Mario Kart, Mario 64, Ocarina almost everyday and not get sick of them. Those were classics.

Hey Major, did you ever play the game Chrono Trigger for SNES? I think that might have been my favorite game of all time and I'm not even really a fan of RPGs per se. Ocarina was good, I agree, but I actually like Mario 64 better.

You're totally right about 64. The good games were excellent, there just weren't many of them. The graphics on that system are very kiddy for me, too. That being said, I could still play Mario Kart, Mario 64, Ocarina almost everyday and not get sick of them. Those were classics.

nah, i never heard of it actually. snes was the system that i bought the least amount of games for. probably because i was in high school and needed party/girl money.

Chrono Trigger is for the SNES as to what Final Fantasy VII is to the PS1.

Both are still played ad nauseum by oldtime gamers.

Has anyone else played Eternal Darkness for the GC? Trippy game (if outdated now).

i have it. i never quite finished it. yeah, it was trippy. the first time the volume started going down, or the screen went blank like the tv went off, i was like :paranoid:

I want to say that this is not your fathers nintendo game. There is cursing, hookers, brothels, extortion, hits, contracts, crooked police, and did I mention that your goal in the game is to become the don of NY. Now I know alot of men will say, it's just a kids game. Let me tell you I won't let my kids play it. Not only can you shoot guys, women, police, etc. But you can strangle them, and the vibration mimics their heart beat fading, until you snap their neck. You desing everything about you player, even down to his forehead and its intensity. I buy one game a year usually. I'm a huge Grand Theft fan because it's realistics settings. Let me tell you this game is more mature and maybe even better than GF San Andreas.

Just the extortion scenes are unbeleivable. You have to extort people in various ways. One is a solid combination of punches. And man, this guy throws punches Tyson would love. You get to jack guys up, hold them over a legde until the get you point. There is an pressure meter. I can go on an on. There's are rackets you have to take over, and you have to fight with five families to become the Don. It's a long game. You start off in Little Italy, and have free range to travel up to Mid Town, and see the Sears building, or go to Jersey and tangle with the real Sapranos. But you have to take steps and rise through the ranks. So far I saved the Don from dying, and saw Fredo get slapped in the back of the head from Sonny. Tpm Hagen has made me and enforcer. This after they wacked Luca Brasi. Bottom line if you like the Godfather, and the Sapranos, get it. If you have kids then play it while they are asleep, or your in the den. I promise you'll be making offers they can't refuse.

Archived