Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Larry Allen Released

RDSKNfaithfull

Its a tough loss based on the fact he's been a warrior for us for so long.

But his play has deteriorated substantially over the past few years.

Sure hes made the Pro Bowl, but a lot of that has been based on reputation.

I love to brag that hes made the Pro Bowl so often, but deep down I know he didnt deserve it each and every year.

I will miss him dearly, as he was there for the good and the bad. And never really complained or made noise along the way.

He just suited up each and every week and did his job as best he could.

Hurt or not, he was out there.

He will be a pretty good pickup for some team for about a year or so.

But his best days are way behind him.

Thanks LA.

You were a true warrior who personified what is was to don the Star.

ok sorry, so he is your 2nd best lineman, and now he is gone....sounds like a great move to me

He's above average at best.

But you sound pretty silly.

Sort of like me saying you cut your 2nd best LB.

But I wouldnt say that, because I know better.

Obviously, you dont.

"The Cowboys released the 10-time Pro Bowl selection, who was scheduled to receive a $2 million roster bonus on April 1, Tuesday evening. Allen, 34, was scheduled to earn $3.5 million in salary and count $7.5 million against the club’s salary cap."

"It’s not that Allen isn’t a good player – he has played in the past two Pro Bowls – but today’s NFL is all about value and the Cowboys no longer wanted to pay Allen as though he were one of the game’s elite players."

http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstory/stories/032206cpallen.4a696c13.html

Allen released by Cowboys

07:35 PM CST on Tuesday, March 21, 2006

By JEAN JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – Larry Allen, the most decorated offensive lineman in franchise history, has worn a Cowboys uniform for the last time.

The Cowboys released the 10-time Pro Bowl selection, who was scheduled to receive a $2 million roster bonus on April 1, Tuesday evening. Allen, 34, was scheduled to earn $3.5 million in salary and count $7.5 million against the club’s salary cap.

“This decision is a tough one for me personally,” said Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said in a statement. “Larry has been the best in pro football for a long time. His ability and performance set a standard for excellence at his position in the NFL for many years, and we are grateful for his contributions to the Dallas Cowboys.

“We have come to this crossroad today with concern for managing our resources with respect to the immediate and long term financial structure of our team. Just as importantly, we give great consideration and respect to Larry’s future and his ability to explore his professional options. We have also made it clear that the door is open for one of those options to include a return to the Cowboys.”

A source said the 12-year-veteran had been a no-show at the first two days of the team’s off-season workout program. Allen and his agent Marvin Demoff could not be reached for comment. Coach Bill Parcells could not be reached for comment.

Allen will be replaced by Kyle Kosier, who signed a five-year, $15 million contract on the first day of free agency.

“He’s a tough guy and he’s aggressive,” said Jeff Ireland, vice president of pro and college scouting. “He’s a good, solid football player and he’s young.”

It’s not that Allen isn’t a good player – he has played in the past two Pro Bowls – but today’s NFL is all about value and the Cowboys no longer wanted to pay Allen as though he were one of the game’s elite players.

In his prime, though, Allen was one of the game’s best.

He played in seven consecutive Pro Bowls from 1995-2001 and has been named All-Pro seven times. With his Pro Bowl selection in 1998, he joined Bruce Mathews (guard/center) and Chris Hinton (guard/tackle) as the third player in NFL history to be selected to the Pro Bowl at more than one position.

Allen, a second-round pick in 1994 from Sonoma State, is also the last remaining link to the great teams the Cowboys had in the early '90s. With the release of Allen, there are no players currently on the roster who ever won a Super Bowl ring – or even a playoff game wearing a Cowboys’ uniform.

Allen, one of the NFL’s strongest players, earned his reputation as one of the game’s premier offensive linemen with his ability to obliterate defensive linemen at the point of attack. He was even better on the perimeter, pulling and taking out smaller cornerbacks and linebackers.

In those days, Allen had the athleticism and agility to hit moving targets with ease. He would mirror their movements and then explode into them, creating lanes for Emmitt Smith to gain many of his NFL-record 17,162 yards.

"At the East-West Shrine Game, he was a small fish in a huge pond out there," said Larry Lacewell, the Cowboys' director of pro and college scouting for more than a decade. "You don't see many guys from small schools that do the things he did out there that week. During my 14-year period, he was the best I saw. No one was more explosive, had the strength or could run as well to be such a huge man. I don't know whether he'll retire. I think there's some gas in the tank, but Larry may not want to go through the pain and agony of getting in shape."

E-mail jjtaylor@dallasnews.com

Bo how opinions change as players get cut :)

Allen would be a good depth signing

Not at all B.

Just like your LA wasnt in the plans in DC, our LA wasnt in the plans in Dallas.

Saw this coming a mile away when Kozier was signed, Gurode was resigned and finally when Fabini was signed.

Hehateme~

Larry was still playing at a very high level and when he dug down he was the most dominating run blocker on your team by far. His only problem was he was caught standing around after plays. He and Bill didn't have the best relationship. With some motivation he still has a couple of years of domnating run blocking left in him.

Hehateme~

Larry was still playing at a very high level and when he dug down he was the most dominating run blocker on your team by far. His only problem was he was caught standing around after plays. He and Bill didn't have the best relationship. With some motivation he still has a couple of years of domnating run blocking left in him.

I guess we have different definitions of "very high level".

Ive seen his every snap over the past few years and he's not nearly the same player he used to be.

Youre correct that he was caught standing around recently. But he also took plays off a lot more recently, than he ever did.

As well as never being in shape when TC rolled around.

Which in turn meant he was never in peak form for the season.

He consistently wore down tremendously towards the end of games, and more importantly, towards the end of the season.

He was probably at about 70-75% of his declining self at the end of the past couple seasons.

Dont get me wrong though.

The man was a complete warrior and I LOVED watching him blow people up and dominate.

But that was far and few between the last 2 seasons.

And he just isnt worth the $7.55 million on the books for this season.

I'd love to bring him back for a less, but sometimes you have to move on.

Even though you hate to see him go. He was easily one of my favorites.

Hmmm....just got off the phone with Bonef1de, and he had an interesting opinion on the topic. Did LA get cut because of opposition to the TO signing? Keyshawn, while not the consummate teammate, was pretty well-behaved under BP, and is one of the hardest working WRs in the league. There were a lot of dissenters in the Cowgirl lockerroom...could LA have been one of them? Maybe he demanded his release because of the TO signing/Key release.

(Of course all Cowgirl fans are going to refute this to no end).

Think about it...supposedly the Girls had like 30 million dollars in cap room...and they have to still cut LA? I mean...how much are they paying Kozier?? :laugh: And don't tell me LA was unwilling to rework his deal to remain a Cowboy forever.

Bonef1de also said it would be pretty funny to sign him if its true about the TO thing. It would be one last chance for LA to flip Jones the bird! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hmmm....just got off the phone with Bonef1de, and he had an interesting opinion on the topic. Did LA get cut because of opposition to the TO signing? Keyshawn, while not the consummate teammate, was pretty well-behaved under BP, and is one of the hardest working WRs in the league. There were a lot of dissenters in the Cowgirl lockerroom...could LA have been one of them? Maybe he demanded his release because of the TO signing/Key release.

Think about it...supposedly the Girls had like 30 million dollars in cap room...and they have to still cut LA? I mean...how much are they paying Kozier?? :laugh: And don't tell me LA was unwilling to rework his deal to remain a Cowboy forever.

Bonef1de also said it would be pretty funny to sign him if its true about the TO thing. It would be one last chance for LA to flip Jones the bird! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Not showing up to the first two days of the offseason conditioning program surely didnt help.

The TO thing is bogus, Dallas tried desperately to trade him last offseason but didnt because he refused.

A trade for a 3rd rounder was in place to Detroit, but he refused to go there so it was nixed.

I dont believe for a second that the TO signing had anything to do with it.

He was constantly in Parcells' dog house.

hahaha wow that sucks. wasn't he pretty much one of their team captains in the locker room, similar to our randy thomas? gotta suck for the fans.

he was a beast for a while too. yeah hes old but hes still good.

He actually wasnt a locker room leader at all.

One of the most quiet and reserved Cowboys ever.

Never talked to the media and rarely voiced his opinions about the state of the team, etc.

The worst part is your serious. :doh:

The guy would have counted 7 million against the cap. He's not the same player, although still very good. I don't think Parcells ever liked him.

This is not surprising at all. Btw, when Kosier was signed, everyone knew this was coming when you looked at LA's cap charge.

Your purely reaching.

Archived