Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins fans.......

eagles78

The key members of the "overpaid" bandwagon are all conveniently forgetting that approximately half of the total sum of each of our new signees' contracts are made up of bloated base salaries in years 4-6 that will be restructured to keep cap hits low throughout, unless the player is a bust during which they can be a manageable cap cut.

See, that is something that I didn't quite have a full understanding about. It makes enough sense when you put it like that.

So do you guys think that guys like Randle El and Archuleta were extremely overpaid for?

I'm still having trouble understanding this "overpaid" question...regardless of where or whom it comes from. Seems to me if the team has the money and wants to pay and the player wants to sign the deal...everything is copacetic. Every year I hear the Redskins are entering "cap hell" because of their signings, but since JG arrived we just seem to be getting better and signing whomever we want. If the team gets better and the player feels well compensated, where's the problem? I don't mind spending the money I do on season tickets for my team and I have lots of company...about 90,000 plus per game and a waiting list for tickets (I waited fifteen years for mine).

Why does this matter so much to people outside the Redskins family? It's not their money, their team, or their problem, so why do they get so worked up about it? :cheers:

Now, I'll admit that I know nothing about how these contracts are structured and what not, but I believe that they over payed for a guy like Randle El. Thus far in his career he has done absolutley nothing to warrant the kind of money and bonus he got. Sure, he's athletic and can kill you on gadget plays, but that is all I see. Far from a pure WR in my mind. Who knows, maybe he'll prve me wrong this year.

The same goes for Archuleta. What has he ever done to deserve becoming the richest safety ever? All it does is boost up the market for other safeties.

I respect your opinion, and I'd concede the point that they're probably making more than similarly-skilled players at their positions. However, to overpay someone, doesn't there need to be a repercussion or consequence? I mean, if these players contribute to a team that makes the playoffs, did Snyder get his money's worth?

Again, my point isn't that they would have gotten this money on another team, they wouldn't have. My point is that Snyder has the means and cap knowledge to get away with paying his #2 WR and his starting S this type of money...so why wouldn't he exercise that advantage he has over the other 31 teams?

Now, I'll admit that I know nothing about how these contracts are structured and what not, but I believe that they over payed for a guy like Randle El. Thus far in his career he has done absolutley nothing to warrant the kind of money and bonus he got. Sure, he's athletic and can kill you on gadget plays, but that is all I see. Far from a pure WR in my mind. Who knows, maybe he'll prve me wrong this year.

The same goes for Archuleta. What has he ever done to deserve becoming the richest safety ever? All it does is boost up the market for other safeties.

Why shouldn't all these players make as much money as they can while they are still healthy and the market is willing. I've known a lot of retired NFL players over the years and believe me, they earn every dollar and pay the price even after they've left the game!:applause:

I respect your opinion, and I'd concede the point that they're probably making more than similarly-skilled players at their positions. However, to overpay someone, doesn't there need to be a repercussion or consequence? I mean, if these players contribute to a team that makes the playoffs, did Snyder get his money's worth?

Again, my point isn't that they would have gotten this money on another team, they wouldn't have. My point is that Snyder has the means and cap knowledge to get away with paying his #2 WR and his starting S this type of money...so why wouldn't he exercise that advantage he has over the other 31 teams?

I agree with everything you said. I'll say that it is impossible to tell who lost and who won in FA until after the players in question have had time to show what they're going to show. I just wanted to post this article without a stance either way to see what you guys thought. The jury's still out.

Why shouldn't all these players make as much money as they can while they are still healthy and the market is willing. I've known a lot of retired NFL players over the years and believe me, they earn every dollar and pay the price even after they've left the game!:applause:
Hey, I'm all for the players getting their money. Only after they've proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that they deserve it.

I agree with everything you said. I'll say that it is impossible to tell who lost and who won in FA until after the players in question have had time to show what they're going to show. I just wanted to post this article without a stance either way to see what you guys thought. The jury's still out.

It definitely is.

These 4 or 5 signings could turn out to be disastrous for the Redskins. Not because of the cost, but because all 5 guys could not perform and the Skins would be left without an upgrade at some key positions.

For all we know, the best FA signing of the year could be Chester Taylor to the Vikings. I don't believe that to be the case, but until the season is over and the stats are accumulated, there's no way to predict what impact these players will have on their new teams.

I just hope ours turn out well and yours don't!! :laugh: No offense!

Hey, I'm all for the players getting their money. Only after they've proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that they deserve it.

...and when did you become the NFL salary police? Dont concern yourself with how much Mr Snyder spends or who he spends it on. You should be more concerned with the playoff window that has SLAMMED shut on your beagles."watch your fingers!"

Jealous Iggle fans,

Why don't you start an email petition to your cheapskate owner and tell him to go out and sign some damn receivers. Your team wasn't mentioned in that article because they have done absolutely nothing to improve upon their old broken down roster that got them all the way to 6 and 10 last season.

I completely agree with my colleague Whitskin's astute remarks. Unlike the lesser teams of the NFC East, such as your Philadelphia Iggles, and the cowboys, we only had a few areas to upgrade. Receiver was a big one, and so was a pass rushing defensive end. We accomplished both of those needs. SI failed to mention that Carter was even going to be used as an end.

Do you honestly think that the tandem of Santana Moss, Antwan Randle El, Brandon Lloyd, and David Patten is not an upgrade at receiver from the bunch of misfits (excluding Moss) that got us one game away from the NFC Championship game last year? Let's not forget Chris Cooley - a special player at H-Back. Do you think he's going to have a better or worse season in Al Saunder's offensive system? Here’s a hint: Tony Gonzales.

I don't even remember that SI article mentioning Saunders, or the retention of Gregg Williams as quality off-season moves. What a shocker, a negative article about the Redskins and their cap strategy by SI.com, this must be the first one ever, right?

If I was an iggle fan, I'd be spending a lot more time worrying if and when my team was going to sign some quality young talent to that depleted roster that made it all the way to 6 and 10 - with T.O. playing 7 games. Unfortunately, I think the door is closing on your run of the past 4 years. The trophy case is still empty; but hey, you guys were almost as good as the Bills of the 1990's - and that's more than your proud franchise has ever accomplished. So congratulations….haters. :eaglesuck

Jealous Iggle fans,

If I was an iggle fan, I'd be spending a lot more time worrying if and when my team was going to sign some quality young talent to that depleted roster that made it all the way to 6 and 10 - with T.O. playing 7 games. Unfortunately, I think the door is closing on your run of the past 4 years. The trophy case is still empty; but hey, you guys were almost as good as the Bills of the 1990's - and that's more than your proud franchise has ever accomplished. So congratulations….haters. :eaglesuck

Yes, the Eagles have no young talent at all.:rolleyes: Perhaps that's why they are one of the youngest teams in the NFL right now and Reid excels at developing his own young players. Maybe you've forgotten the success that the Eagles had with a less than stellar recieving core. I'm more than happy to have a developing Reggie Brown in one spot and Gaffney and Pinkston taking up the others. If the Eagles get their running game back on track they will compete for the NFC East crown. I know that is hard for you to understand and all considering the Skins are amazing and they can do no wrong. Their consistent success the last decade proves that. Maybe, you didn't watch many Eagles games last year. If you did, you'd see that McMahon was the main problem. The Eagles young guys stepped into their roles and performed nicely. If the Eagles can get a pass rush back, and I believe that Howard will help that along, and the running game improves than the Eagles will be fine.

Yes, the Eagles have no young talent at all.:rolleyes: Perhaps that's why they are one of the youngest teams in the NFL right now and Reid excels at developing his own young players. Maybe you've forgotten the success that the Eagles had with a less than stellar recieving core. I'm more than happy to have a developing Reggie Brown in one spot and Gaffney and Pinkston taking up the others. If the Eagles get their running game back on track they will compete for the NFC East crown. I know that is hard for you to understand and all considering the Skins are amazing and they can do no wrong. Their consistent success the last decade proves that. Maybe, you didn't watch many Eagles games last year. If you did, you'd see that McMahon was the main problem. The Eagles young guys stepped into their roles and performed nicely. If the Eagles can get a pass rush back, and I believe that Howard will help that along, and the running game improves than the Eagles will be fine.

Your #1 reciever Reggie Brown - 43 catches, 571 yards, 4 touchdowns.

I won't embarass you by posting Santana's numbers, but here's Chris Cooley's.

71 catches 774 yards 7 touchdowns.

Whoa, my mistake, your #1 wide reciever was your running back. Nice run 1st offense you're so optimistic about. Here's his stats 61 catches 616 yards 4 touchdowns.

Add them together and your #1 and #2 threats don't have #89 beat. And you don't even run the ball. CP is going to have another breakout year under Al Saunders.

If The Giants pickup Keyshawn, the iggles will certianly be back in the cellar of the NFC East where they belong.

Archived