Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins fans.......

eagles78

What are your opinions on this?

LOSERS

4. Washington: The Redskins were saved from salary-cap hell by the new CBA extension, which freed up another $7 million-plus of cap space, allowing them to avoid having to dismantle their roster. So what do they do? Rush right out and get themselves mortgaged back up to the gills, tossing out a staggering $31.8 million, six-year contract to the Rams' Adam Archuleta, making him the richest safety in NFL history.

Receiver Antwaan Randle El and linebacker Andre Carter also got hefty deals, and Washington opted to send both a third- and fourth-round pick to San Francisco in exchange for inconsistent receiver Brandon Lloyd. Even reserve tight end Fauria and backup quarterback Todd Collins got in on the money train.

The Redskins' set-the-market contracts are bound to catch up to them one day. My guess is it'll be after head coach Joe Gibbs calls it a career for a second time, in a year or two.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/03/21/fa.winners.losers/index.html

Our opninion? About the same as it was last year when all the mediots said we were going to go 4-12 and that the Jets got the better end of the deal in the Moss trade and that our defense would suffer with the loss of Peirce and Smoot and that the game has passed Gibbs bye. I can keep going if you want me to.

So in short. Don't care.

moss rips up any corner in the league. I don't care who goes where as long as Moss is healthy he will always put up better number than coles
Just never mention that we are the only fanbase that rips all the players that leave. I also won't mention that you guys listed him among your assets last year.

I miss him already. :grouphug:

Ho hum. To paraphrase Jimmy Buffet "Just another day in Cap-hella ville"

The Redskins' set-the-market contracts are bound to catch up to them one day. My guess is it'll be after head coach Joe Gibbs calls it a career for a second time, in a year or two.

:bsflag: Perhaps someone should write Don Banks a note and ask him to see a mental health professional about his "issues." Be sure to write in crayon, single syllable words, so Don might have the best chance to comprehend and understand. Anyone who can characterize the Redskins' offseason free agency acquisitions under the category of "Losers" needs help. Of course, Don might be a more reliable evaluator of football talent than JG, AS, GW and the rest of the Redskins staff:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .

Well the truth is we were saved by the extension of the CBA.

The rest is BS

I just find it interesting that very few outside the Skins organization think you guys are having a good off season. From reading the threads on here, you'd think that Lloyd was the next Rice and Archuleta is Lott in the making.

I expect nothing less than an obvious and cliche response of "Cap Hell is coming!!!" as his only critique of the Redskins offseason. The man is a joke, anything having to do with the Redskins he tries to paint a black cloud over. He's at a Pasquarelli level but far beyond Peter King in my opinion.

I'll also say that Banks listed the 2004 Redskins as one of his offseason losers as well, saying such gems as Cornelius Griffin is not a premier pass rusher and Springs and Washington were forgettable signings. Well, that free agency class almost single handedly turned this franchise around from perenial loser to playoff team.

So, I would imagine this bodes quite well...

I just find it interesting that very few outside the Skins organization think you guys are having a good off season. From reading the threads on here, you'd think that Lloyd was the next Rice and Archuleta is Lott in the making.

Riddle me this birdman, when have members of the media ever been on our side about anything we've done in the offseason? Last year we were very quiet in the offseason, and many experts said that we went backwards.

This year we add players that almost every team would have liked to add, and we're still in the dog house. Obviously, someone doesn't get it.

You're not reading enough articles then. Pompei from Sporting News praises us in his latest blog. MSNBC named us the top offseason winner. USA Today ran a very lengthy and positive article about our offseason and bright future. Several online chats have smartly noted that the Redskins are picking young and dynamic players now instead of aging bums in search of one last paycheck. Some members of the media continue to ignore this obvious fact.

You should not be shocked that guys like Pasquarelli, Peter King, and Banks are bashing the Skins. They've been doing it for years and guess what? They all look like morons right now after promising the world we wouldn't sniff the playoffs when we actually made it in and won a game.

And who is comparing Brandon Lloyd to Rice? What he should be compared to is an extremely dynamic #2 WR who has put up decent numbers while serving as the ONLY offensive threat on his team, drawing top coverages, and playing with the worst QBs this side of NFL Europe. His first four games last season with Rattay (an average backup QB at best) were spectacular. If Nolan were smart enough to play Rattay entire season, Lloyd would have put up 1000 yards and around 8 TDs. With Cody "Rodeo Clown" Pickett and Alex "Girl Hands" Smith, his production obviously suffered, but 700+ yards and 5 TDs is still a strong season considering who he was playing with.

And Archuleta is not Ronnie Lott, but he'll be a perfect fit for GW's defense and will be used like a poor man's Roy Williams (please note, I said poor man's). The good news is that he will have a very, very rich man's Roy Williams playing alongside him named Sean Taylor who will own the middle of the field on the deep ball and combine with him to make some jaw dropping plays. Both guys will produce their best seasons as pros now that they are surrounded with talent and coaches who will use them to their ultimate potential.

I just find it interesting that the Redskins were a playoff team last year with several holes in their team: No viable pass rushers, no viable second (or third) wide receiver, some questionable secondary play...

What have the Redskins done this offseason? Filled the holes that needed to be filled...picked up a pass rushing end, not one, but two receivers, a better than average Strong Safety.

Granted, the Skins did drop their nickel corner, they need another one of those. They do need to pick up another LB, though I have a sneaking suspicion that the starter is already on the roster. They do need to sure up the O Line depth.

If you want to say the Skins haven't had a good free agency period, fine...but back it up with some actual information. In reality, they have filled needs. They will fill more.

My opinions:

You can't be a loser in free agency when you fill two of the biggest holes in your team. Other than our additions, we're keeping the majority of our offense and defense in tact for a 3rd year.

I think the combination of the 1) continuity, 2) key upgrades at WR, DL, and S, and 3) the infusion of a more dynamic offensive mindset (Saunders) will keep the Skins very competitive all season.

The only other additions I'd like to see are:

OL depth

CB depth

LB depth (assuming we plan to start Clemons alongside Marshall and Washington)

Until you wrote the names "Rice" and "Lott" they had not appeared in any threads I've seen...did I miss them somehow?

I think most Redskins fans are pleased because for the third year in a row our coaches and front office had done their homework, identified the players they wanted via free agency and signed them. Also had a very good draft over the past couple of years so we're pleased with those decisions as well.

Our head coach (a hall of famer and the only coach ever to win three Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks and three different running backs) will enter his third year back with the team with the players he wants to coach.

You'll have to forgive us if we couldn't care less what the "Premature Insider Sportswriter Speculation" might be!

Until you wrote the names "Rice" and "Lott" they had not appeared in any threads I've seen...did I miss them somehow?

I think most Redskins fans are pleased because for the third year in a row our coaches and front office had done their homework, identified the players they wanted via free agency and signed them. Also had a very good draft over the past couple of years so we're pleased with those decisions as well.

Our head coach (a hall of famer and the only coach ever to win three Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks and three different running backs) will enter his third year back with the team with the players he wants to coach.

You'll have to forgive us if we couldn't care less what the "Premature Insider Sportswriter Speculation" might be!

:applause: :applause: :applause:

That's a good post!

There's a difference between thinking your team is getting the best player at a particular position and knowing that your team got the best fit for its needs.

Pound for pound, there are probably better free agents out there at every position that the Skins acquired a player. However, the fact that they moved so quickly to get the guys they did tells me they know what they're doing (especially considering the success of most of the FAs this regime has brought in).

Gibbs doesn't need the best, he just needs the guys that will work within his system...this is now the 3rd offseason in a row where he's been able to acquire such players. You saw the improvement from year 1 to year 2!

:helmet:

LOSERS

4. Washington: The Redskins were saved from salary-cap hell by the new CBA extension, which freed up another $7 million-plus of cap space, allowing them to avoid having to dismantle their roster. So what do they do? Rush right out and get themselves mortgaged back up to the gills, tossing out a staggering $31.8 million, six-year contract to the Rams' Adam Archuleta, making him the richest safety in NFL history.

Receiver Antwaan Randle El and linebacker Andre Carter also got hefty deals, and Washington opted to send both a third- and fourth-round pick to San Francisco in exchange for inconsistent receiver Brandon Lloyd. Even reserve tight end Fauria and backup quarterback Todd Collins got in on the money train.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/03/21/fa.winners.losers/index.html

Are you just jealous??????????:laugh:

If you want to say the Skins haven't had a good free agency period, fine...but back it up with some actual information. In reality, they have filled needs. They will fill more.

I haven't said anything either way. I just wanted to see what you guys thought.

So do you guys think that guys like Randle El and Archuleta were extremely overpaid for?

It's come up in other threads but I'll share my thoughts on this subject here too.

I think "overpaid" is extremely subjective. If we paid Randle-El too much to get DL help, then you can make the argument that we overpaid since we hurt our chances of acquiring more talent. However, to just look at a salary and call it overpaying isn't fair.

If Snyder can afford to throw a lot of cash at his players, then why shouldn't he if it's guaranteeing that he's getting the players the coaches want? The Redskins haven't had to pay for this type of FA plan since Snyder took over, so the Cap Hell theory is starting to lose its impact with me.

My question to you is: What do you consider overpaying?

If you're simply asking if the Redskins gave players more than other teams would have, then yes, that could be true. But if they can do that without any negative impact, then why wouldn't they?

So do you guys think that guys like Randle El and Archuleta were extremely overpaid for?

Did you think Santana Moss, Clinton Portis, Marcus Washington, and Cornelius Griffin were overpaid when they signed with the Skins?

If you were a typical member of the national media you did, but apparently the Redskins knew what they were doing, as each of those guys not only lived up to their contracts, but OUTPLAYED them.

The key members of the "overpaid" bandwagon are all conveniently forgetting that approximately half of the total sum of each of our new signees' contracts are made up of bloated base salaries in years 4-6 that will be restructured to keep cap hits low throughout, unless the player is a bust during which they can be a manageable cap cut. Considering Gibbs' stellar track record in two years for bringing in free agents, I wouldn't hold my breath that any of these guys will be busts.

What is most important here is year to year cap charges, not a lump sum of cash of which the player may or may not see a large portion. If you want to continue to ignore this fact and strategy, then there is room on the train next to Banks and Pasquarelli, but the Redskins managed to fill every major hole with young and dynamic players while also ensuring that no cap hell is on the horizon.... again.

My question to you is: What do you consider overpaying?

If you're simply asking if the Redskins gave players more than other teams would have, then yes, that could be true. But if they can do that without any negative impact, then why wouldn't they?

Now, I'll admit that I know nothing about how these contracts are structured and what not, but I believe that they over payed for a guy like Randle El. Thus far in his career he has done absolutley nothing to warrant the kind of money and bonus he got. Sure, he's athletic and can kill you on gadget plays, but that is all I see. Far from a pure WR in my mind. Who knows, maybe he'll prve me wrong this year.

The same goes for Archuleta. What has he ever done to deserve becoming the richest safety ever? All it does is boost up the market for other safeties.

Archived