Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Panic Setting In?

SonnyJ

Wow, the heads are already coming off in "Big" D. Wasn't he a FA signing the Poke fans were pointing to?

Cowboys cut Westbrook

09/13/2002

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

The Cowboys released cornerback Bryant Westbrook, who was supposed to be a key free-agent addition, before Friday morning's practice.

Westbrook, who received a $125,000 signing bonus, had been demoted from starter to run-stopping cornerback this week. His salary will count against the Cowboys' salary cap because he is a vested veteran.

Westbrook was called for a 43-yard pass interference on the game's first play in the Cowboys' 19-10 loss to Houston on Sunday. In the fourth quarter, he was penalized for illegal contact, negating a sack and giving Houston an automatic first down.

The Texans threw a 65-yard touchdown pass on the next play.

"Hopefully, I'll play my way out of that situation," Westbrook said after practice Wednesday. "But if the coaches feel like I can't play every down, then they have to do what they have to do.

"I had two crucial mistakes in the Houston game, and I have to live with that. I'm a man, and I know my faults. Every opportunity I get out there, I have to make my play."

Originally posted by SonnyJ

Wow, the heads are already coming off in "Big" D. Wasn't he a FA signing the Poke fans were pointing to?

Cowboys cut Westbrook

09/13/2002

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

The Cowboys released cornerback Bryant Westbrook, who was supposed to be a key free-agent addition, before Friday morning's practice.

Westbrook, who received a $125,000 signing bonus, had been demoted from starter to run-stopping cornerback this week. His salary will count against the Cowboys' salary cap because he is a vested veteran.

Westbrook was called for a 43-yard pass interference on the game's first play in the Cowboys' 19-10 loss to Houston on Sunday. In the fourth quarter, he was penalized for illegal contact, negating a sack and giving Houston an automatic first down.

The Texans threw a 65-yard touchdown pass on the next play.

"Hopefully, I'll play my way out of that situation," Westbrook said after practice Wednesday. "But if the coaches feel like I can't play every down, then they have to do what they have to do.

"I had two crucial mistakes in the Houston game, and I have to live with that. I'm a man, and I know my faults. Every opportunity I get out there, I have to make my play."

We took a gamble, it did not pay-off. Just like Gardner and Santana Moss gambles have to be taken. Cut your losses and move on.

Hahaha.. Wow.. That is unbelievable.

I remember reading all those threads in the off season about how when Westbrook returns to his pre-injury form the Boys will have their first true shutdown corner since Deion. Wow.. Looks like he didn't make it back to that form in one game..

Just a wierd move.

No, this is not like Gardener. Gardener has physical problems which limit his playing time/availability. These are limitations that we can live with and that we knew about when we signed him. And more importantly, he remains on our team despite apparently being in no shape to play the next game.

Westbrook is healthy. The limitation you're citing has to do with skill, which you advertised to us as being good or even excellent. And after one game against an expansion team starting a rookie QB and a below-average set of WR's, you jettison him?

How does that reflect upon your player personnal evaluation down in Dallas? This is just another in a long line of embarrassments for Jerruh. Sure hope Quincy works out. :laugh:

As Redman said, it's nowhere close to the same situation.

Gardener and Dotson were two bargain basement acquistions that will not play due to injury. Westbrook was whacked after one game against a suspect offense because he just blows.

What's that giant sucking sound emanating from Valley Ranch???

It seems kind of quick to cut a cb after the first game. I did not see the game but it is hard to believe that if Westbrook wasn't on the team then the boys would have won. He did give up one td but didn't the Texans win by more than one td. I wonder if Westbrook said something bad about Jerry Jones in the locker room adn that is why he was cut.

Of course skins fans should know that anyone named Westbrook is poison (See Cincinnati).

Holy SHNIKIES!! Really didn't see that one coming.

Now who's gonna cover Rod and Derrius and Kevin and Chris on Thanksgiving??

This just makes my day. The guys on ESPN on Sunday talked about all the great defensive additions Dallas made in the offseason and how they finally have a shut down corner in Westbrook and how great their D will be this year. What a bunch of biased horse manure that was! Yes Westbrook made a few costly mistakes, but he's still the best corner they've got. Can't say I understand the decision, but I'll take it!!

Just curious, wasn't Westbrook in the same draft class as Champ?

Mr. Jones means to be held to his word when he first promoted Campo to head coach.

Jerry stated at the time that he's tired of hiring new coaches every time the team does not perform to expectations. He went on to say that he plans on stablizing the coaching staff and hold players accountable when the team does not play well.

The trouble is, Jones is loathe to admit that he has no eye for talent. He fired Johnson because they disagreed many times on player personnel despite Jimmy holding the ultimate decision on who came and went. Now Jones is running this team into the ground because he thinks he knows football.

One can say that Snyder initially held the same belief about himself. That he knew players and talent well enough to sign Sanders, Smith, George, et. al. He quickly discovered that he should stay out of player personnel decisions and thus gave Marty total control. When that experiment failed, he turned to Mendes and openly admitted that he shouldn't have fired Casserly.

That's the difference between Snyder and Jones, one knows his limitations while the other has an ego with no bounds.

Archived