Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Note To Self - There is no Hell (article)

E-Dog Night

Here's a good article written by one of ES's finest.

http://www.hobotrashcan.com/notetoself/

Oakland Raider wide out Randy Moss' agent, Dante DiTrapano, was arrested and charged with possession of crack cocaine last week in St. Petersburg, Florida. (Talk about the apple not falling far from the pot tree).

Former Washington Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington's agent, Carl Poston, was suspended for two years last Wednesday for admitting he had Arrington sign a contract Poston didn't actually bother to read first. (And think – if Arrington study the playbook a little more, and Poston studied contracts at all, they'd both be in much better situations).

And yet, neither topic is what I'm focusing on today. Nope. This week I'm addressing the most relevant team in the NFL offseason – the Washington Redskins.

Please click on the link above to view the full article

It never happened!

Very nice article! I am guessing that you wrote it? The likes of Lenny P and Peter King will never get it! Salary Cap Hell is a myth just like unicorns and fairies... OK, maybe fairies are not a myth because they do wear blue and silver and call themselves "Cowboys"!

Again, no, I did not write this article. I do write for this website, however, just nothing to do with sports. I'll let the author come forward if he chooses.

Sorry, I didn't catch Ihearts post. I must have been typing my own and missed it! :doh:

It still didn't lose any props from me though, regardless of who wrote it. I am not familiar with themurf but, nonetheless, nice job! :applaud:

Nice find. He should run his article through spelling/grammar check before he posts it online, though.

:D

I just double-checked, and the only things highlighted in MS Word were proper names such as Norv and Shottenheimer, and verb-less sentences like, "Absolutely nothing", which are entirely within any columnist's discretion to use form time to time in order to emphasize a point.

To what were you referring?

It's a good article.

It is factually inaccurate to say Snyder signed George to a big-money deal, as George was signed to the league minimum plus a small $2 million signing bonus. Marty is the one who gave George all the money. It is also questionable to say Bruce Smith was a bust. He played reasonably well for a few years for us here as a starter in multiple defensive systems. Deion also played well, but is a bust for not playing longer.

Items like that tend to distract me from a point in most pieces I read, though, again, this one is well done throughout and supports the premise well and made me want to read through it, which is usually not the case with sports writing in general :).

It's a good article.

It is factually inaccurate to say Snyder signed George to a big-money deal, as George was signed to the league minimum plus a small $2 million signing bonus. Marty is the one who gave George all the money. It is also questionable to say Bruce Smith was a bust. He played reasonably well for a few years for us here as a starter in multiple defensive systems. Deion also played well, but is a bust for not playing longer.

Items like that tend to distract me from a point in most pieces I read, though, again, this one is well done throughout and supports the premise well and made me want to read through it, which is usually not the case with sports writing in general :).

Art,

When Jeff George was cut by Marty Schottenheimer, he was in the second year of a four-year, $18.25 million contract. That's very different than a veteran's minimum plus a $2 million signing bonus. And I would think most Redskins fans were glad to see Bruce Smith go - he was a selfish player who cared a heck of a lot more about personal achievements (i.e. - sacks) than he did about the actual team he played on. As for Deion Sanders, my therapist promises me it never actually happened.

In all, The Danny committing nearly $100 million in salary for that season, and all I did was highlight the biggest names signed during free agency that year. None of which, really worked out for the team. At any rate - thanks for your feedback.

Before I forget, thanks to Jumbo, iheartskins and everyone else. I was surprised to even see the article show up here ... until I remembered you people find everything. hehehe. Cheers,

murf.

Murf,

You're a Redskin fan. You know how our contracts work. George played for the league minimum plus a $2 million signing bonus. His base pay accelerated in year 2, 3 and 4. His total cap hit for us was right at $1 million. Marty then inherited the team. He cut players for having a hat on. He cut players and took big hits. And, with George, he gave him a big bonus in conversion of salary, and gave him the job.

Smith was not a bust, though, you're right, he was a selfish player. He played pretty well for us for a number of years. I am not upset he went when he did, but, his play certainly wasn't that of a bust. It would be like saying Renaldo Wynn is a bust despite starting year after year for different coaches and systems. Guys who start year after year aren't busts, even if they aren't Pro Bowlers.

I disagree with you the signings didn't work out for the team. In fact, they did work out exactly as intended. Less was done on offense than on defense in that offseason. We had a top offense and a terrible defense. The moves improved our defense from 30 to 4 if I still remember the numbers correctly. We started 6-2 against the toughest part of our schedule. What didn't work out for us was injuries to areas we lacked depth and the fact most of our offensive starters who had GREAT years the previous year turned out to have had CAREER years the year before.

It is inaccurate, though easy, to suggest signing players who helped improve our defense so greatly didn't help the team. They did. Other areas failed us.

I liked your style and flow in the article and am glad to have had the chance to read it. I don't mean to focus on these nits, or the fallacy that our free agent spending caused the failed 2000 season. I just like having those conversations too :).

Art,

Just curious: have you ever entirely agreed with any opinion piece you've ever read? Not counting articles written by people with the last names of Mills, Stevens and Fitzgerald, of course.

;)

He doesn't agree with Stevens either :)

Nice read Brian - I see E-Dog's joined me in the man-crush thing bandwagon.

Archived