Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is your favorite Ozzy Osbourne studio release?

AbleDanger

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Ugh. Did you go to the myspace or are you just talking out of your ass? What do you think about my Bach and Scarlatti?

Listen, you can't compare classical guitar and electric guitar, they are two very different instruments. I put my recordings on here, if you are as brilliant as you claim, you would have the brass ones to post a recording of your own on here. Put up or shut up. No excuses.

I can't access myspace or stream audio on my work computer. I will check it out later, but I'm sure it's pretty good or you wouldn't brag on it so much. I never compared classical to electric...you did, right before pronouncing your superiority to RR. I compared RR to Zakk. I then compared myself to you just for the hell of it.

Two things to remember:

1) Only a self-obsessed douchebag would proclaim himself vastly superior -

Randy Rhoads was NOT worth squat on classical. Phenominal electric player obviously, but he could not carry MY jock on classical.
- to the great Randy Rhoads. Admitting you are a douchebag is the first step, bro.

2) Accomplished players who are self-taught (ME) are always superior to guys with meaningless Music Degrees. See Dimebag vs. Malmsteen. One's an innovator and one's a duplicator. I'm thinking you're just an irritator.

Diary of a Madman is my favorite. I like every song on the album. That album didn't really have a Dungeon & Dragons feel to me. It was more real, despite the Gothic cover. Over The Mountain was probably the only song that had that Dio dragon thing going on, but it was probably about drugs. My second favorite is The Ultimate Sin.

I can't access myspace or stream audio on my work computer. I will check it out later, but I'm sure it's pretty good or you wouldn't brag on it so much. I never compared classical to electric...you did, right before pronouncing your superiority to RR. I compared RR to Zakk. I then compared myself to you just for the hell of it.

Two things to remember:

1) Only a self-obsessed douchebag would proclaim himself vastly superior - - to the great Randy Rhoads. Admitting you are a douchebag is the first step, bro.

2) Accomplished players who are self-taught (ME) are always superior to guys with meaningless Music Degrees. See Dimebag vs. Malmsteen. One's an innovator and one's a duplicator. I'm thinking you're just an irritator.

:violin:

For classical guitar I AM vastly superior to Randy Rhoads. On electric he would mop the floor with me. Don't try and put words in my mouth. I just brought that up because so many people are impressed by his novice classical side even though it is dwarfed by his excellence on electric. I was not in any way comparing my classical playing to Rhoads' electric. Apples and Oranges as I clearly stated.

So I take it you are not going to post any recordings of your brilliant self. :anon:

Zakk Wylde is a great guitarist, he can play his ass off, but for anyone to say he was "better" than Randy Rhodes is crazy IMO.

Randy was a guitar legend, he only played on 2 ozzy studio albums but is still looked upon as a guitar god.

Zakk has a much bigger resume, but even in that, I'd bet that if there were a poll among guitarists, Randy would win hands down.

This is not meant as a slap or attack on Zakk, he's amazing, he can play all of Randy's stuff, but so can I. Copying someone isn't that big a deal. Being the creator IS IMO.

For classical guitar I AM vastly superior to Randy Rhoads. On electric he would mop the floor with me. Don't try and put words in my mouth. I just brought that up because so many people are impressed by his novice classical side even though it is dwarfed by his excellence on electric. I was not in any way comparing my classical playing to Rhoads' electric. Apples and Oranges as I clearly stated.

So I take it you are not going to post any recordings of your brilliant self. :anon:

Randy barely touched on the classical side, he wanted to get more involved, he wanted to quit Ozzy's band and get a degree in classical music, but he had barely started.

Ok, I'll jump in here.

I'm not a classical guitar master, but I have been playing for several years, and am largely self-taught like MBoyd.

I am however, a ridiculously over-the-top metal fan that has worked in the business, written about the business, and lived and breathed it for the past 26 years.

You will be hard-pressed to make an argument that Zakk Wylde is a better guitarist than Randy Rhoads, no matter how you slice it.

Yngwie and Dimebag you could conceivably debate, but even that is a stretch, IMO.

What it boils down to is this: who can play who's stuff?

If you can't play what that guy is playing, you're not as good as he is. Sorry.

Joe Satriani was asked a few years back if he could play essentially ANYTHING out there ever written for guitar. He responded quite honestly no, there's stuff that Vai and Malmsteen are doing that I simply cannot duplicate.

Besides that qualification, there's just too many variables to stack up.

I never have posted any recordings of myself.. I'm not going to start on your account..Since you're a clown about it, i will not check out your stuff..I never said I was brilliant - I said that I've been a better player than any music school dude that I have met since I was 25..In retrospect, if you are an admitted one-trick-pony, why would you even comment on a thread about a couple of guys - Rhoads, Wylde - who have nothing to do classical guitar. Go find a thread about Parkening or that "Nights of Fire" guy. Why post non-sequitors solely for the purpose of hyping your ability? If I start a thread about great Bass players, are you going to jump in and mention that you DOMINATE Geezer Butler in karaoke because you won the Thursday night competition at Kilroy's? i just don't get it.

What it boils down to is this: who can play who's stuff?

I disagree with what you are saying (I think?).

I see your point, however, I'm from the school that given enough time and the desire, I can play anything I want.

Being able to play something that someone else has done is nothing to being able to create something unique that influences people over many generations.

That's why the guitar hero's are who they are.

Eddie Van Halen's playing isn't that difficult, but there was no one doing anything like him and he created a decade of wanna be's.

Randy's playing has stood the test of time which is amazing considering how little he played on.

Zakk is well known among guitar players, but I don't think he has enspired nearly as many wanna be's as Randy, Eddie, Jimi, Jimmy and quite a few others.

:2cents:

I never have posted any recordings of myself.. I'm not going to start on your account..Since you're a clown about it, i will not check out your stuff..I never said I was brilliant - I said that I've been a better player than any music school dude that I have met since I was 25..In retrospect, if you are an admitted one-trick-pony, why would you even comment on a thread about a couple of guys - Rhoads, Wylde - who have nothing to do classical guitar. Go find a thread about Parkening or that "Nights of Fire" guy. Why post non-sequitors solely for the purpose of hyping your ability? If I start a thread about great Bass players, are you going to jump in and mention that you DOMINATE Geezer Butler in karaoke because you won the Thursday night competition at Kilroy's? i just don't get it.

OK, this is my beef with you: You seem to think music majors don't have any talent. You couldn't be more wrong. By saying you eat guitar majors for breakfast you were either claiming some sort of brilliance or insulting a very large group of people you apparently know very little about...and no, I am not a one trick pony. I play music that spans hundreds of years, from Bach to Bellinatti. Might seem like one trick from your perspective.

Anyway, I wish we hadn't got off on the wrong foot cause chances are, if I met you in person, we would have a productive jam session and drink some beers. :cheers:

Mboyd - I'm BASICALLY - BASICALLY on your side in this. Never have liked Zakk. Always loved Randy.

But Steve Vai is a "music school dude", and Yngwie's Rising Force was an amazing album(well, most of it) for its time, so they're not all well-manicured-sight-reading-couldn't improv a 12 bar blues solo dweebs. EXCEPT RALPH MACCHIO!! :laugh:

I'll bet a little googling could dig up some heavy hitters with music degrees. I haven't checked, but I'd bet a beer Petrucci's got some for real training.

And Christopher Parkening rocks - was listening to Simple Gifts the other day, so I'm not knocking Classical at all, Midnight. Your stuff sounds really good.

I'm not trying to flame you, bro. And you probably already know this but, ranking Down to Earth and Ozzmosis ahead of Diary and No Rest pretty much makes you a buffoon in the eyes of the great majority of not just Ozzy fans, but anyone who has an appreciation for music.

I do know that. There were some good songs on Diary but the production sucked compared to the newer albums. I liked Ozzy's later sound better. No Rest for the Wicked just was not good music to me at all. It was like 80's pop metal to me. Maybe I'm the only Ozzy fan who thinks so, but I thought that album just sucked.

I know we're talking about personal tastes and all that, but, I'm sorry, I find this list insulting.

Well, I hope you can get over it one day. :laugh: You're right, it comes down to personal taste. Overall, I like the sound of the newer albums better.

Edit: Zakk Wylde is a goofball, aliased, drunken biker-wrestler wannabe who is the leader of one of rock's least enjoyed and listened to bands and he absolutely could not carry Rhoads' jock. He is not near in the same league in any appreciable way. That is fact, you can look it up.

Look it up where? There are few people in this world who can move their fingers as fast as Zakk. I never heard Randy bust out solos quite like Zakk's.

Seriously, ask anyone and go back to listening to Nu-Metal. I can tell that you used to and that is the place you belong...Limp Bizkit needs you, go help them!

I was never a fan of Limp Bizkit, and I can't even name 80% of the bands that come on DC101 nowadays. I started listening to metal in junior high in the early 90's. My earlier favorites were Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Guns n Roses. Era and age difference may have something to do with it. You tend to more intensely absorb what you're exposed to between the ages of 12 and 16. I was absorbing the metal of that era. I ditched metal for punk and hardcore around 95' or 96'. So, whatever Nu-metal is, I don't know if I fit in that time frame or not. I'm not really concerned with the trends, I just like what I like.

why would you even comment on a thread about a couple of guys - Rhoads, Wylde - who have nothing to do classical guitar.

According to a documentry I saw (I think it might have been Don't Blame Me) Rhodes had a strong interest in classical guitar, and it was his intention to study it at a University after he was done with Ozzy's band.

I think alot of y'all missed the point here. No one said Zakk was better than anyone. People said Zakk is nowhere close to as good as Randy. That is straight crap. Zakk has had to live in that guys shadow his whole friggin life and there are so many geek guitarist/ozzy fans that won't ever let him come close. They straight hate him.

Funny thing is, most Zakk fans and prolly Zakk him self could give two :poop:'s. Most know the haters get p*ssed that they'll never ever be able to play that fast.

Randy was an insanely talented guitarist. No doubt. One of the best all time? Could very well be. Not arguing that.

The guy played in the limelight a tad longer than Hendrix and was fairly innovative. While amazing in it's own right, he didn't have the chance to showcase everything he could do. Zakk has and while I would put him up on that list of all timers (in my book) he wasn't as groundbreaking but is the only guy out there these days, busting his a*s, playing old shool straight up metal and not giving a sh*t about what anyone has to say about it.

There are only a two guys out there that shred as hard. Buckethead and Jimmy Herring.

There is a point to some of these guys comments about the newer Ozzy recordings. Some of them have songs that are much closer to Sabbath and the begginings of metal, low, hard and angry, then some of his earlier stuff.

I think alot of y'all missed the point here. No one said Zakk was better than anyone.
Zakk and Randy...both great guitarists, but I have to give the edge to Zakk.
I think you're as right as a three dollar bill, but that aside, two totally different guitarists, one of whom never got a chance to show everything he could do.

Zakk has shown he can do it all.

Archived