Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Explanation of the H-Back

Joe Gibbs II

The Ideal H-Back is someone who can block and who is quick. They are a combination TE/FB. The offense uses them in a lot of situations. They can line up at FB, TE, or even WR. They have to have great hands and courage to go across the middle. There's a lot of shifts and formation changes, so intelligence is probably a plus. The H-Back isn't asked to run too often, but more of a pass catcher/pass-run blocker. He's like a 'tweener' on defense. No defined spot to play in, so he plays in multiple spots. Not sure why gibbs put it in, maybe just to have another weapon. And I'm also not sure of how many other teams use it.

I THINK, and I could be wrong about this, but, the "H" stands for "HYBRID" It's between a full back and a tight end. Plays either a blocker, pass catcher, runner. He can break the huddle and the defense doesn't know were he's going to line up, disguise the play. Somebody else may be able to elaborate more.

edit; what he said :D

Thing about the H-Back is that its really a position that can change from game to game and even situationally. Monk played a lot of H-Back but so did Didier and Walker and many others from offensive linemen, TEs and FBs. Its really more akin to the motion back in the old Notre Dame box formation.

H-backs are good in offenses because they are unpredictable. They can block, catch, or run. Not only that but they line up at 3 different positions (wr, te, FB) and are often moved in motion. They keep the defense guessing, and their confusion leads to big plays.

The H-Back is akin to the ninja of the offense. Unpredictable. Multitalented. Can stalk in the shadows of any field into the end zone. Will commit seppuku after a loss.

But seriously, I think the above posters answered the question. In generic football terms, the H-Back closest approximates the TE, except that the H-Back is put in more motion and in more positions on the LOS. That's why you'll see Cooley line up anywhere from on the line, to in the backfield (typical FB position), to split wide.

Archived